Habs Draft Grades A B From Toronto Star

kaos

The Montreal Canadiens 2006 draft rated a B from the Toronto star. Heres the highlights with a link to every teams grade.

MONTREAL CANADIENS

The Good

The good news is that Montreal already has a little bit of everything in their system. All they needed to do was sprinkle even more depth into every position. If anything, they needed better quality on the back-end, and some high-end skill up the middle. They addressed those issues at the draft table.

The Bad

The Habs grabbed four defensemen and two pivots, when perhaps it should have been the other way around. In a draft where everyone seemed to grabbing centermen early, perhaps it was all Montreal could do.

The Unique

Of the two pivots, Ben Maxwell (49th overall) has the most offensive upside, something that Montreal desperately needs in their system at center. Ryan White, however, was a bit of a steal at 66th overall.

The Grade: B

Montreal did what they came to do, but were strangely silent on the trade front. They obviously will look to address some immediate needs via free agency.

I'd think the author is not really familar with the Montreal Canadiens and their need for Defensman in the organization. The draft grade could probably be increased to a B+ as Montreal definitley addressed this need.

Link

http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com/thest...hl-draft-grades

The Toronto Star actually only uses content provided by the Forecaster.

http://www.forecaster.ca/demo/hockey/extra...hl-draft-grades

I actually tend to agree with their grade. You can hardly give them a higher grade since they've only had 6 picks, a relatively late drafting rank and none of them are real bluechippers. If they had a 1st rounder in the top 12 their grade would easily have been B+ or A-.

The Toronto Star actually only uses content provided by the Forecaster.

http://www.forecaster.ca/demo/hockey/extra...hl-draft-grades

I actually tend to agree with their grade. You can hardly give them a higher grade since they've only had 6 picks, a relatively late drafting rank and none of them are real bluechippers. If they had a 1st rounder in the top 12 their grade would easily have been B+ or A-.

Yup, considering Montreal started out at 16th then down to 20th, I think they did alright. I believe it was depth that got Carolina a cup this year. No allstar defenceman, one fantastic star forward Staal, and a goalie that stole the Montreal series. Grrrr......

Yup, considering Montreal started out at 16th then down to 20th, I think they did alright. I believe it was depth that got Carolina a cup this year. No allstar defenceman, one fantastic star forward Staal, a goalie that was pretty good, and a careless highstick to Koivu's face that stole the Montreal series. Grrrr......

/fixed

:mellow: