Trade possibility with Dallas?

theodore60

I didn't see this listed as a post already, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

If I'm mistaken, I apologize.

I saw posts on another board w/ speculation that a trade was being discussed.

The poster on that particular board claims to be a bit of an inside source, doesn't post much, but actually was spot on in heads up posts on several Montreal moves right before they happened, including Gainey being hired.

This immediatley started speculation concerning a deal w/ Dallas, for I suppose,obvious reasons.

Considering Gainey has addressed the issue of lack of size, ( no pun intended ), & the general fan concensus of needing a 20/20 type forward to throw a little weight around, the names of Arnott & Morrow have been brought up.

The Stars look to need help on Defense under their current circumstances, & that seems to be an area of depth for the Habs.

Considering it was rumoured that Dallas was shopping Arnott in an attempt to cut some payroll, ( I just can't see them giving up Morrow if the choice was between the 2 ), would anyone here like that move, & who, on Defense, would you be willing to give in return?

Personally, I like the idea, & I don't beleive they'd take a fair sized contract in return, as Arnotts' pay is probably the main reason they'd look to deal him.

Therefore, I'd have to rule out Breezer right off the bat.

As much as I like Markov, I think they'd be looking at a player like him really.

Komi & Hainsey, while good prospects, probably don't have the experience they'd need right now.

Komi would be the 1 guy I'd personally deem untouchable for Arnott.

Long post, I know, but I'm pretty full of it, as you'll all find out quickly.

Great forum...........Thanks.

I think that if the Stars were to trade one of Morrow or Arnott, they'd certainly want a proven NHLer in return.

Morrow is great. He's not huge at 5'11", 200 but he plays like a big man. He's more than capable in his own zone, he's got a big heart, and the talent to back up his nastiness. He put up 40 points as a 23-year-old last season, and he's off to a good start thus far. He'd be expensive, that's for sure.

I'll ignore the fact that Arnott is 6'4", but the thing that makes him so intriguing is that he really uses that size. He's physical, he's won before, he's a good, hard nosed two way guy. At 29, he'd be right around the age of our core players ; Theodore, Koivu, Souray and Zednik, and old enough to blend into the youth movement with guys like Ryder, Ward, Hossa, and Kastitstyn. He'd be ideal if the cost for Morrow was too high. The youngsters need to learn and play with quality veterans, not scrubby pluggers and journeymen. The only knock on Arnott, is I don't think he's ever played a full season.

Also of note, Doug Armstrong (Stars GM) left the Board of Governers meetings early today. There are also a lot of rumours swirling about Arnott's availability due to Dallas' recent skid. Gainey knows these guys very well, and drafted Morrow and was a member of the front office when Arnott was acquired.

Put them on your Christmas list. :hlogo:

Yeah, I've seen the rumors too, with both the 'inside informer' and an airport employee, who overheard BG.

However, names are not named, both by the informer of possible tradees, and by myself of the informer and board.

I can convey his comments that, while nothing is definite, he can say that there is a trade brewing.

It isn't anyone who has been talked about recently...and its not Theo..now thats all you are getting.

While that isn't much to go on, it can provide insight that it is most likely

The airplane attendant reported that he overheard BG talking trade with Dallas.

He [bob Gainey} sat down in the food court area, and had burger king. He was on his cell phone, talking to somebody about a trade with the Dallas GM...  

...He later sat to eat, I sat beside him. I asked him if there was any activity he said, "it's a possibility youll see something soon"

Bob was talking about conditions set by the Dallas GM, but refused to name names, only saying "Dallas player...Dallas GM...Dallas Player..Montreal Player".

With Bob Gainey's recent comments, on how we need more scoring, I am inclined to believe that it will be a large player, not necessarily a large points producer (although that would kill 2 birds with one stone).

I have seen forums where they propose sending Garon+D for a player. However, Dallas is loaded with goaltending prospects, With Marty Turco, Jason Bacashihua, Dan Ellis and Mike Smith. Garon would not do anything over there, and Tugnutt would have to be moved, which is easier said than done.

The weaknesses on Dallas include their defense (without Hatcher and Sydor, they have Zubov, Numminen, Boucher, Matvichuk, Sweeney, Klemm and Erskine). While they aren't all superstars, they get solid defensive coverage from Klemm and Boucher, offensive production form Numminen and Zubov, and physical play from Matvichuk and Erskine.

According to Hockeys Future, Dallas is lacking in offensive defensmen prospects, and offensive wingers, both of which the Habs have.

I doubt we can give any of Junea/Sundstrom/Audette to Dallas, with their depth in centre, and their need for NHL wingers is low (and they had Audette once before).

Now I'm not sure how people will take this, but Ron Hainsey would be great trade bait. An offensive defenseman who's young and talented. While he does have attitude problems, I'm sure Dallas could overlook that fact. However, we would most likely ask for something in return. And that something is the almost 4 million-dollar man, Jason Arnott.

Looking to cut salary, Dallas has confessed to attempting to trade Arnott. However, no-one has had the right formula to pry Jason off Dallas. Of course, others include Stu Barnes (agitator), or Scott Young (scorer, although expensive failure right now).

Anyway, more news will be reported when there is more news

I really don't think they'll do that. gainey has the same mentality as did Savard and he is going to wait to rebuild the team. One way or another, I don't see a defencemen going to Dallas for a high paying forward. Besides, the only expendable players that Montreal has on the blueline he can't get rid of!! Quintal is going nowhere unless they buy out his contract. Weimer gets paid less and does a better job and no one in the league wants him from waivers!!! I hardly think they are going to move a D for a forward, sure I know they need to make room for Komi, but where? Julien tried Rivet up front for size, but he got upset. The habs have very little to go shopping for for players like Arnott. They have to do addition by subtraction and wait it out. Most habs fans want to see something now, but it isn't going to happen, the management knows the habs have bright future, they are not going to let that go, but the impatient fans have to smarten up. Anyway, thats my two cents!!

Actually, I beleive Arnott had a bit of a groin problem recently, since you mentioned him not having played a full season.

I've not heard that it's a serious problem, though.