Begin Captain

habsbeleiver

As much as I recognise that Saku Koivu is an excellent hockey player, I do believe that he lacks the qualities necessary to be a team leader, to wear that little significant C on his jersey. He is somewhat too selfich, not intense enough.

If I was the habs coach (one of my dearest dreams), I would assign Steve Begin as the Captain. He is the only CH player who is intense every time he his on the ice, perhaps the only one recognizing how his team player bad after defeats, he is truly the ignition flame of the team.

BEGIN FOR CAPTAIN!

Saying Saku Koivu is not intense is ridiculous, thats the reason why I began to like him, because of the fact he's the only one who works his ass off. Putting Begin as captain would change nothing, he's like Koivu but hits more and has way less talent. Sheldon Souray is the guy I would want as captain but he isn't the kind who can back up his words with his play. Right now, we have no real captain and we'll have to wait till guys like Higgins or Komisarek developp into dominant players, if that ever happens.

PS: Réjean Tremblay likes to make up stuff, I wouldn't base my opinion on his crap, because thats what comes out of his mouth most of the times.

As I proposed a few weeks ago, I agree Souray is the only candidate on this team right now... and the sad fact is he's not even an assistant captain right now.

They took the A away from Breezer to start the year... they should have kept going and stripped Koivu, Rivet and Zednik as well... those guys as leaders is a joke.

My choices if I could choose the letters today... Souray captain, Koivu & Bulis & Bégin with an A. Those are the best and most regular good effort performers... those who can get up and speak in the room and have others respect what they say.

I don't mind Juneau & Quintal having an A that much because it's likely their last year... but their games have suffered so much that they can't really talk anymore.

Eventually Higgins, Komisarek... maybe Ryder could one day take over.

Koivu's not selfish. In Tampa, he had a wide open shot at the empty goal, but flipped the puck over to Perreault so that Yanic could get the goal.

Why do you think he did that? I'll tell you why. Saku knew that his teammate had been struggling and playing poor hockey. By coming out of TB with a two goal game, not only does Perreault feel better, but the media gets off of his back a little.

He is a great captain. Let's not ruin what little we have going.

:hlogo:

Originally posted by jl.roberts

Koivu's not selfish. In Tampa, he had a wide open shot at the empty goal, but flipped the puck over to Perreault so that Yanic could get the goal.  

Why do you think he did that? I'll tell you why. Saku knew that his teammate had been struggling and playing poor hockey. By coming out of TB with a two goal game, not only does Perreault feel better, but the media gets off of his back a little.

He is a great captain. Let's not ruin what little we have going.

:hlogo:

He gave Perreault the puck because it was Perreault who had made the nice defensive play... so he deserved the goal.

And most players do that, give the puck up, that has nothing to do with being a good captain... just a good teammate.

Gimme a break... you're really grasping at staws here.

Yes, but he had to recognize that, and rewarded his player, did he not?

I don't disagree about Souray. If ever Saku was to give up the C, I wouldn't be happy unless it was going to Sheldon.

After all, wasn't it those two who stood up and held a players only meeting right before our recent streak started?

When Kaptain Koivu returned, he reignited Zednik, Ryder, and Bulis. A captain who leads by example is just as good as one who speaks his mind and never shuts up. Sakic and Yzerman; probably the league's best two captains, are extremely quiet guys. However, when they do say something their onice play and class will always be there to back them up.