Thrashers vs. Habs - Feb. 17/04

jl.roberts

logo-nhl-thrashers.gifvs.logo-nhl-canadiens.gif

Probable Goalies: Byron Dafoe vs. Jose Theodore.

8455994.jpg& 8460535.jpg

Time: 7:30 ET

Date: Feb. 17/04

TV: RDS

Radio: CJAD 800, Post-game Team-990

Habs Photos

Player Stats

Game Day Preview

Betting Thread

Probable Habs Lineup:

The colours signify offensive production as of late; orange being hot, and blue being cold.

38 -- 11 -- 20

37 -- 71 -- 73

22 -- 90 -- 24

25 -- 94 -- 15

79 -- 05

51 -- 43

52 -- 08

Probable Scratches:

17 Ward (Claude got drunk), 26 Dagenais (Claude became sober), 28 Dykhuis (healthy), 44 Souray (knee)

Key Matchup:

8459442.jpgvs. 8468482.jpg

Karma with a capital K.

Players to Watch:

28774_2.jpg

<B>#20 Zednik</B> - Alright buddy, you got Saku, the rest is up to you.

28778_2.jpg

<B>#94 Perreault</B> - I said are you gonna be my girl.

I cant wait to see the new lines in action...

Zednik and Koivu are familar with each other , and had great chemistry at points over the past few seasons. I'm not sure how Sunny/Ribs/Ryder will do , but who knows... they might surprise us. Also its great to see Begin back on the 3rd line. The more minutes Begin gets , the better.

Something I dont get... RDS/CFCF are talking about how Komisarek will have a bigger role , and has to step up to fill Sourays void ... Julien says that Komisarek will get more icetime..

What I dont understand is... Komisarek is an RD , Souray an LD , the icetime of Komisarek is not affected by Souray at all , the only thing Komisarek can replace of Sourays is the physical game.

Anyways... Mike's looked pretty good lately , you can see the progression ... Its like 2 steps forward , 1 step back though ...

1-0 Habs... Bulis from Koivu.

Koivu with a wraparound , he kept a far enough distance to avoid the goalies pokecheck (saku learned from earlier mistake in game) , then turned around and few a pass to Bulis , Bulis shoots and scores into the empty left side of the net.

Habs are taking the play to the Thrash , forechecking hard , working hard in general. The new lines arent showing any signs of chemistry problems yet really...

Now the key is ... play a full 60 minute game.

:ghg:

1-1 , Kovalchuk scores , he finally gets one past Theodore.

Thrashers scored on a 5 on 3 , a 5 on 3 caused by a stupid Quintal penalty , he let a Thrasher get behind him on a partial break , Quintal is forced to take a holding penalty ...

I'm normally easy on Quintal , but lately he's been terrible. He needs to step up his play in a hurry.

1-1 after 1....

Key part of the period , when the habs were handed a full 2 minute 5 on 3 advantage , and an additional 2 minute 5 on 4 right after it... What did the habs do? NOTHING! No goals to show for it... Thats unexcusable! How the hell can we go 2 minutes on a 5 on 3 without scoring , especially against a sub-par defensive team in the midst of a huge slump (Thrashers) ... Speciality teams are very very important , and tonight we've given up a PP goal , and botched up lots of good PP chances.

I agree puck, disgraceful to not get a goal in that situation, how much do we expect the refs to help us out with penalty calls? The Habs better play disciplined hockey the rest of the way because the refs are gonna be looking for a penalty.

We'd better come out strong and play that way the rest of the game or this will be our 4th straight loss.

2-1 Thrash....

Habs are sleep walking in their own zone... We had 5 men covering the front of the net and thr Thrash forwards , but no one watching the D .... Kaberle pinches in , takes a Kovalchuk pass , and deflects puck past Theodore...

ugh...

sad , sad , sad.

Do the habs want to make the playoffs? I'm starting to question that.

Edit: Actually under further review , was more of a case of our players gravitating to Kovalchuk , leaving the other Thrashers uncovered. Still unexcusable.

[Edited on 2004-2-18 by puck7x]

Originally posted by puck7x

Anyways... Mike's looked pretty good lately , you can see the progression ... Its like 2 steps forward , 1 step back though ...

It's better than 1 step forward, 2 steps Dykhuis.

3-1 Thrashers...

Another PP goal , after a stupid Brisebois interference penalty (dont know if that was the exact call , but it was INT) , the goal was scored after Theodore went behind his net to clear puck , Theodore tried to backhand the puck OVER his own net , he failed to clear the net with the puck , the puck bounced back to him , Theodore tries again , and he shoots a weak shot right to a Thrasher player in front of the net , Thrash score in empty net.

Now Komisarek takes a careless penalty for roughing or something,....

Habs are self-destructing.

I wouldn't blame the line combos. Theodore shouldn't have let in probably 3 of the 4 goals and the Habs could have more than what they have.

All in all a pretty terrible game at this point, but i think the line combos have shown some semblance of working.

Keep Theo in there... keep Garon fresh for the next game. If he gets hot, ride him for a few games.

The team has given up, they're waiting for Gainey to save them with a trade instead of saving themselves.

They surely can't do it with Souray out and Theo not playing great... but it would have been nice to see them try.

The way this team folds at the first sign of adversity in a game is depressing.

How many times have we won when not scoring the first goal, or losing after two?... Not many.

:puke: .... Not a fun game , not at all.

Turning point of game , when the habs failed to score on the two minute 5 on 3 , then the 5 on 4 right after it...

Special teams are always the key to success , and right now the habs special teams are piss poor , 2 PP goals against , none for. Plus Theodore playing "average" (along with a few brain farts) isnt helping. Fans boo'ed the team the non-stop after the Thrash made it 4-1 , maybe thats the wake up call the team needs , hopefully these bums stop feeling bad for themselves and realize that no one but themselves can turn this team around , like habs77 said , they've got to stop waiting for the miracle player to arrive.

Habs still control their own playoff destiny , though thats hardly a positive right now after losing 4 straight.