Good for Ribs

Habby1197

When the fans were booing Belfour at the beginning of the season (or in the preseason) last season, Tie Domi stood up and told them off.

The Habs need someone to do just the same for Koivu. Souray would been key, maybe still could be, while on the outs. Rivet would have no credibility. Brisebois shouldn't. Only current non injured players I would see would be Quintal, Theodore or Ribeiro himself. Actually maybe Begin would have an affect.

Someone, a player, has to stand up to the fans and say listen if you pay what you pay to see us, do so to support the team, if not, use your money elsewhere. The fans at the bell centre have gotten too full of themselves. I know its the almost decade long of struggles that has led to this, but none of that crap is good for the team.

Just look at what Jovanovski did in Vancouver, some guys called in to call the 'nucks a bunch of clowns and Jovo called back to speak up. I kind of liked that, builds comraderie, but consistent winning does that too I suppose.

[Edited on 2004/2/20 by GoHabs2002]

[Edited on 2004/2/21 by GoHabs2002]

Like to a new article from Josh Pacheco (recent addition to HW team) ...

http://www.habsworld.net/show_article.php?id=362

Good read , I agree with alot of the points. I feel that fans should never boo their own players , its really useless and counterproductive...

Oh btw I'm obligated to say - The views expressed in this article are solely the views of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of HabsWorld. yadda yadda yadda...

:king:

Yeah. If you think I'm an idiot and have stupid points, don't be blaming the other HW guys. But be nice, because I'm sensitive and my feelings get hurt easily. ;)

:ghg:

I actually don't mind that they booed Koivu just this once.

The fans are sick of the "in-fighting" BS that's been going on for way too long on this team... and they're basically saying quit this crap already.

When even the captain is starting "fights" or tussles in practice... enough is enough.

In that sense, a one-time boo to the captain after the latest spat on the team is a message to all the players IMO to just quit the childish crap and start focusing on winning games.

That said the message was sent, it's over... now they better support the whole team, and in return the team can come together and start playing like one.

If this becomes another game in game out booing traditon as with Breezer & Rivet... then that would be stupid indeed, and counter productive as they'd only be hurting the team they supposedly cheer for.

That's why they call it cheering for a team... people usually don't ask "what team do you boo for?".

That's just how I feel about the situation.

Booing serves it purpose when used correctly, but not when it's used to just persecute a player as it has been the case the past couple of years.

I think the real story in that article is how ugly the damn Bruins 3rd jersey is.

Man, what the hell were they smoking...

Oh, and on a side note - I boo for the rest of the eastern conference.

[Edited on 2004/2/21 by Toren]

Originally posted by Habs77

When even the captain is starting "fights" or tussles in practice...

Let's see... Koivu the Captain buffets a prima donna player upside the head in an intense practice and the team responds by playing just about their best game of the season.

To me, that says the team more than respects Koivu - they worship him.

Thus the Habs are Koivu's team.

Hey all, new here.

That article was great, and I completely agree with ... well, all of it. I've been a die-hard Canadiens fan since I was old enough to watch hockey. I'll always love them, no matter how crazy (or just plain bad) things get. However, if Koivu is run out of town on a rail, my only inclination is to be right behind him. No, he isn't perfect, who is? But he's been a great captain and leader of this team through the good times and the bad times, never mind the horrors he's faced down in his own life. I don't have blind hero worship for anyone, but I have the utmost respect and admiration for Koivu as a person and as a player. Of all people, he doesn't deserve to be booed. Exactly the opposite.

Did Ribeiro really call the booing stupid? That's encouraging. I'm admittedly a deluded optimist most of the time, but I still don't think it's impossible for this team to suck it up and get it together once and for all. Besides, I was actually a fan of Ribeiro's talent and potential before this season's various messes started. It'd be nice to be able to see him as an extremely promising kid again rather than as Koivu's intended replacement. If only the media and the ignorant of the fans would just stay out of it ... Well, I can dream. :)

Originally posted by Abby

Hey all, new here.

That article was great, and I completely agree with ... well, all of it.  I've been a die-hard Canadiens fan since I was old enough to watch hockey.  I'll always love them, no matter how crazy (or just plain bad) things get.  However, if Koivu is run out of town on a rail, my only inclination is to be right behind him.  No, he isn't perfect, who is?  But he's been a great captain and leader of this team through the good times and the bad times, never mind the horrors he's faced down in his own life.  I don't have blind hero worship for anyone, but I have the utmost respect and admiration for Koivu as a person and as a player.  Of all people, he doesn't deserve to be booed.  Exactly the opposite.

Did Ribeiro really call the booing stupid?  That's encouraging.  I'm admittedly a deluded optimist most of the time, but I still don't think it's impossible for this team to suck it up and get it together once and for all.  Besides, I was actually a fan of Ribeiro's talent and potential before this season's various messes started.  It'd be nice to be able to see him as an extremely promising kid again rather than as Koivu's intended replacement.  If only the media and the ignorant of the fans would just stay out of it ...  Well, I can dream. :)

Hey Abby!

Welcome in the HW forums

I agree with your great post.

:clap::/)