Some sad news today

dlbalr

It seems you're right puck, it's now officially being called a suicide.

The body was found hanging early Sunday by a belt in the bathroom at a beach resort in Antalya, a southern Mediterranean province popular with Russian and other European tourists. Lyashenko had been vacationing with his mother and sister.

In the note, Lyashenko apologized for killing himself, the paramilitary police officer added, speaking on customary condition of anonymity.

The Anatolia news agency quoted Dr. Fevzi Ersoy, a doctor at the hospital where Lyashenko's body was taken, as saying Wednesday that tests showed Lyashenko did not have AIDS or any other disease, dismissing speculation that Lyashenko killed himself because he had been ill.

The prosecutor's office refused to comment Wednesday, citing an ongoing investigation. However, a Russian consular official, also speaking on condition he not be named, said he had examined evidence provided by Turkish authorities and the death appeared to be a suicide.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=46808

When you read the article, pay attention to the series of deaths of these players and their coach and how they died. Then remember the stories of Russian mafia and their efforts to blackmail russian athletes and ask if this is just a coincidence.

Lyashenko's death is the latest tragedy to hit Russian ice hockey this year.

Lyashenko's former teammate Lokomotiv Yaroslav forward Vladimir Antipov was injured and his wife died in a car crash last month.

In May, Igor Grigorenko, 20, the Detroit Red Wings' first pick in the 2001 NHL entry draft and another of Lyashenko's former teammates, broke his leg in two places and suffered concussion in a car crash in his home town of Togliatti. The surgery left him in a coma for days.

In January, Lokomotiv coach Alexei Traseukh was shot dead in his apartment in Yaroslavl.

When you read the article, pay attention to the series of deaths of these players and their coach and how they died. Then remember the stories of Russian mafia and their efforts to blackmail russian athletes and ask if this is just a coincidence.  

I don't think we should start to have "paranoia" and think that every russian found dead is the result of the mafia. Russians have car accidents too, some Russians commit suicide too.

But i agree with the fact that it's getting more and more weird. I mean, we have rarely heard about a swedish, slovakian or any other nationality player die in a suspicious/not-common way. I don't say that all accident and dead are the cause of te russian mafia, but surely there's a pattern somewhere.

In both possiblities (suicide, murder) there had to be big pressure on Lyashenko.. that he couldn't handle. Pressure from the mafia, or even his own family expectations. Or maybe it wasn't related to money (which I doubt), since playing in the AHL isn't the worst job. Dunno if we'll know what his the sad story behind this.