NHL Teams Youngest To Oldest

jetsniper

I know you guys don't like stuff taken from other boards but I found this to be interesting. Someone from the Avs board calculated the average age of every team and some results were surprising. Senators with the youngest team in the league and Hasek in net?

Does. Not. Compute

1.Ottawa Senators-25.82

2.San Jose Sharks-26.21

3.Calgary Flames-26.74

4.Buffalo Sabres-26.74

5.Chicago Blackhawks-26.91

6.Montreal Canadiens-26.96

7.Washington Capitals-27.0

8.Minnesota Wils-27.16

9.New York Rangers-27.38

10.New York Islanders-27.41

11.Columbus Blue Jackets-27.68

12.Carolina Hurricanes-27.70

13.Nashville Predators-27.86

14.Vancouver Canucks-27.95

15.Phoenix Coyotes-28

16.Philadelphia Flyers-28.04

17.Edmonton Oilers-28.04

18.Florida Panthers-28.17

19.Anaheim Mighty Ducks-28.27

20.Boston Bruins-28.48

21.LA Kings-28.48

22.Toronto Maple Leafs-28.65

23.Pittsburgh Penguins-28.75

24.Atlanta Thrashers-29.0

25.Colorado Avalanche-29.04

26.Dallas Stars-29.13

27.St.Louis Blues-29.82

28.Tampa Bay Lightning-30.0

29.New Jersey Devils-30.13

30.Detroit Red Wings-31.09

Originally posted by Trizzak

San Jose is pretty surprising as well, considering they're supposed to dominate this year.

San Jose is horrible this year! Even Red Fisher rated them last in the Conference!

And something I noticed is the teams at the extremes either suck or kick ass. The teams in the middle are all pretty average besides Philly.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie
Originally posted by Trizzak

San Jose is pretty surprising as well, considering they're supposed to dominate this year.

San Jose is horrible this year! Even Red Fisher rated them last in the Conference!

And something I noticed is the teams at the extremes either suck or kick ass. The teams in the middle are all pretty average besides Philly.

yeah that's funny because i've heard completely opposite opinions about them. worst in the league and best in the west. i dunno, they were the only undefeated team in the preseason if i'm not mistaken, and i've heard interviews saying that they move the puck better than anyone in the league. it really doesn't seem to make any sense though.

Anything I've heard about the Sharks has been really positive so far. They made 0 offseason moves however and haven't looked good in the regular season. They'll get their act together though, the only thing that plagues that team is their young defense with Ehrhoff, Preissing, Davison and Fahey. They're all projected to be great NHLers though and the Sharks have one of the most underrated first lines in the league in Sturm-Marleau-Cheechoo. Nabby has consistency issues which he needs to get over but Marleau will lead that team to another division title.

Originally posted by jetsniper

Anything I've heard about the Sharks has been really positive so far. They made 0 offseason moves however and haven't looked good in the regular season. They'll get their act together though, the only thing that plagues that team is their young defense with Ehrhoff, Preissing, Davison and Fahey. They're all projected to be great NHLers though and the Sharks have one of the most underrated first lines in the league in Sturm-Marleau-Cheechoo. Nabby has consistency issues which he needs to get over but Marleau will lead that team to another division title.

Nabokov has been atrocious so far this year. Haven't seen any of their games, so I'm not sure if it's him or a dodgy D.

My friend who knows everthing about basketball, baseball and fotball knows a decent bit about hockey. He told me he predicted the Sharks for the Stanley Cup. I didn't say anything but I thought that was a horrible pick. Now, I know why he chose them. He constantly reads Sports Illustrated and stuff like that so if there are articles around saying how great the Sharks are, than he must've read them.

Anyway, I still think they suck despite Nabokov who IS good.

Marleau is pretty good. Sturm doesn't belong on a first line and Cheechoo, maybe in a year or two. He would fit nicely on a second line, though. They also lost Damphousse who had plenty of value to them. Ther second scoring line is missing one key component: SCORING! Nils Ekman, Alyn McCauley and Niko Dimitrakos would not crack the Habs roster or many others. It's just a horrible line. Primeau, Goc and Michalek is way too average (if even average) to make a great team and the fourth trio of Scott Thornton, Mark Smith and Scott Parker is just as mediocre. That means that this team has no offence whatsoever and goals are key. You can't win a game without scoring a goal. On the other hand, the Sharks have a counter-saying. You can't lose if the other team can't score on you. So let's take a look at the Sharks's game-saving defence.

Stuart-Hannan

Not bad. This is solid pairing.

Preissing-McLaren

Uh oh. What good is McLaren now that we can't elbow incoming forwards in the face and shatter all their bones? Who wait - he couldn't do that in the old NHL either.

Fahey-Davison

Who?

I can't see a single bright spot on this team besides Patrick Marleau who isn't a franchise player. Neither is Evgeni Nabokov or Scott Hannan. This team sucks from all angles.

Alyn McCauley is a very good 2 way forward.

+23 on +/- and 47points in 82 games in the old NHL is very good. HE would definitely find a way on Montreal's lineup if we had a hole that needed a smaller two way forward. Leafs defensively have really stunk since they traded him for Nolan.

Back on topic: I am glad Montreal got younger as the years of trading for older players did not work out. Must invest in drafting well if the final goal is a championship. Older guys will come to the team for a cup run if we need them.

We would take Koivu, Ribeiro, Bonk or Bégin ahead of him. He's alright but people are calling this team the best in the West. That means you need above average in every category and maybe an "outstanding" in a couple.

This team is so mediocre that no one can call them contenders.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

We would take Koivu, Ribeiro, Bonk or Bégin ahead of him. He's alright but people are calling this team the best in the West. That means you need above average in every category and maybe an "outstanding" in a couple.

This team is so mediocre that no one can call them contenders.

Good point. I would agree with that. I watched Alyn play in Toronto and so many fans slagged him because he was not a giant and was not putting up huge numbers. He played great defensively and did his job like that unsung hero you never hear about.

I know you guys don't like stuff taken from other boards but I found this to be interesting. Someone from the Avs board calculated the average age of every team and some results were surprising. Senators with the youngest team in the league and Hasek in net?

Does. Not. Compute

1.Ottawa Senators-25.82

2.San Jose Sharks-26.21

3.Calgary Flames-26.74

4.Buffalo Sabres-26.74

5.Chicago Blackhawks-26.91

6.Montreal Canadiens-26.96

7.Washington Capitals-27.0

8.Minnesota Wils-27.16

9.New York Rangers-27.38

10.New York Islanders-27.41

11.Columbus Blue Jackets-27.68

12.Carolina Hurricanes-27.70

13.Nashville Predators-27.86

14.Vancouver Canucks-27.95

15.Phoenix Coyotes-28

16.Philadelphia Flyers-28.04

17.Edmonton Oilers-28.04

18.Florida Panthers-28.17

19.Anaheim Mighty Ducks-28.27

20.Boston Bruins-28.48

21.LA Kings-28.48

22.Toronto Maple Leafs-28.65

23.Pittsburgh Penguins-28.75

24.Atlanta Thrashers-29.0

25.Colorado Avalanche-29.04

26.Dallas Stars-29.13

27.St.Louis Blues-29.82

28.Tampa Bay Lightning-30.0

29.New Jersey Devils-30.13

30.Detroit Red Wings-31.09

I don't know how this compares to the average age in the 'old' NHL but I'm amazed at how young some of those teams are.

Anything between 26 & 28 is pretty good. It indicates a balance between the young ones coming up, the ones coming into their prime, the ones 'in their prime' and the experienced 'leader/teacher' players.

Even 31, though it is quite a bit older than 26, is still relatively young, I guess. This is still, for me, subject to comparison to what it was like before the lock-out.

Eh, like I said. Underrated first line. And Ehrhoff is gonna be a beast.

I don't see how this line is the line that turns a horrible team into the best in the conference.

2003-04 Point Totals:

Cheechoo: 47 points in 81 games

Marleau: 57 points in 80 games

Sturm: 41 points in 64 games

None of these are first line material and none of them put up first line point totals. This line won't dominate the NHL. Even if they get a few more points I'd still rather have Washington or Carolina or Buffalo's first lines: all of those teams predicted to bomb the season. And I've never heard of Erhoff.

I think the Sharks are in decent shape. Remember, this is a team that finished with 104 points in 03-04 and made the Western Conference finals. They return their top 5 scorers, their goalies and every D man except for Rathje. Best of all, it's the youngest team in the NHL, so just about everyone can reasonably be expected to improve.

I don't think they're going to win the Stanley Cup... but I doubt they'll finish last in the West either. I say they finish somewhere from 4th to 8th in the West.

Rathje was their best defenceman and they also lost Damphousse. They haven't gotten any better. They're at bets average in any area. I can't see them making the playoffs.

Ottawa is the youngest team. They're the second youngest. And also, you don't want to be TOO young. Or too old either.

Who cares if you haven't heard of Ehrhoff? What difference does that make?

And Rathje wasn't their best defenseman. By far. That goes to Hannan. Rathje was to the Sharks what Skoula was to the Avs or Brisebois to the Habs. So many fans hated him. Hell, Stuart is better then Rathje. It's like he had a hard-on for giving the puck away.

I never said anything about the conference, I said they'd win the division. Stats only tell so much but that line can lead the team. Like option said, they kept most of the team together that came two wins from winning the WCF while dumping the crap that held them back (Rathje, Korolyuk). The only reasonable loss is Damphousse. If everything goes perfectly for them, 2nd in the West. Not so much, 6th in the West.

But one thing is damn sure and thats the fact they'll be playing into the end of April.

I never said that it makes a difference if I never heard of Ehrhoff. I said I never heard of him. He can be the league leading scorer for all I know. Instead of looking at what they got last year look at what they have now, which isn't much. I doubt they finish ahead of even Anaheim in their division and then there's Dallas who's tough again and LA might surprise and do alright. There's no reason to think that the Sharks will do better than all the other teams in their division and then beat the other division winner. Is this Ehrhoff guy could enough to carry this team on his back? I'm guessing he's a rookie defenceman.

"Ehrhoff posseses good speed and skating abilities, which he uses in rushing the puck out of the the defensive zone and into the neutral zone. Possessing a strong point shot, Ehrhoff is also a threat from the point, especially on the power play. Decent stickhandling, mixed with his speed, allows Ehrhoff to have some success deeper in the offensive zone.<b> Not big by NHL standards, Ehrhoff is not a major physical force</b>, but is no push-over. Ehrhoff has good defensive awareness for a player of his age, but <b>still has to improve to be a solid NHL defenseman in his own zone.</b>"

This guy sounds alright and like a solid prospect. He may have a good career ahead of him but not this season. I believe it said somewhere in the article that he played 41 games with the Sharks last season. Also, you named him a "beast on defence" yet he is apparently no "major physical force". He's still young and still a year or two away from his best hockey. He can't be the only bright spot on this team. And Hannan isn't a superstar either: 6 goals last season and a grand total of 15 assists. What credit does Souray get for nearly doubling that in half a season?

I'm not sure that this team will make the playoffs but if they do, it won't be high-up. Also they have zero leadership and experience.

I believe it was Mike Brophy (correct me if I'm wrong) who wrote an article on the Laughs claiming that JFJ had come through the FA period as one of the top performing GM's, in terms of adding youth to his team??? 22nd in the league?

It's just so hard to believe that an article about the Leafs might exagerate something to make them look good :devil:

Eh, like I said. Underrated first line. And Ehrhoff is gonna be a beast.

Going to, Gonna. Whichever you prefer. And you bolded things that helped your argument, there was other things that shined about him. It's the beauty of stats, you can mold them whichever way you want. Just ask Michael Moore. There's also no reason to think they'll do any worse then last season without losing anyone of utmost importance (the exception going to Damphousse, who I'm not sure could of helped them this year anyway. No hockey for a year at his age, he probably wouldn't of gotten off to a good start anyway)

If at the end of the season, they miss the playoffs then I'll eat my words. But as of now I see absoultely NO reason to be crapping all over them.

by the way did you guys see Laraque trying to go after AVery... In any case I was wondering ...the Sens' age average without Hasek (61) b would be even lower !! 24 even