Do the Habs, and their fans owe Bettman?

Habby1197

We're off to a 7-2 start, while it's still very early in the season, it's also very impressive. I've been to all 5 games in Montreal and I can tell you first hand the new rules are way in our advantage. The Habs speed totally had Philly on their heals last night in the third period, there was nothing they could do about it, but take 5 penalties and allow us to tie the game.

In the old NHL the Habs were a good team, but their chances of a championship were no where as high as they are now. While we were able to spend upwards of 50 million a year, other teams were able to shell out 80+ million, while money doesn't buy you a championship, most of the high payroll teams were among the leagues elite.

Now everyone is on the same level playing field, money is no longer an issue. The teams with the best management will be at the top. If we do happen to win it all in the next few years, Habs fans should say a little thank you to Gary Bettman, as much as most of us dislike him, he's put our Habs in a much better position.

Teams are now considering us a tough team to play, Montreal is no longer a game other teams look forward to, we earned Philly's respect last night, and by years end I hope we have all 29 other teams respect.

Bettman has done a good thing for hockey to make changes and get salaries in line with reality. I just hope he does not let the pressure of too many penalties get to him from some of the wealthier slower teams.

I love watching the Habs skate skate skate. Our mixture of players representing different countries playing with the Habs is excellent. I have always liked a mix of fast Euro - North American players on a team. Now many of them can take advantage of not being mugged going to the net.

Go Habs Go.....

Originally posted by Mark Napier

Let's hope the refs keep calling those penalties to allow the Habs to skate freely with no obstruction.  I've seen a few signs of them wanting to revert to the old clutch and grab mentallity.

I was watching a sports show (I was 1/2 awake at the time, so I dont remember which one) and a coach was saying other coaches were finding a way to slow the pace down. It would be interesting to see tht show again and I am trying to watch for this. Dont know how you can slow Montreal and Ottawa down for example. Those teams SKATE!

[Edited on 2005/10/27 by Howie_Morenz]

I do think the new CBA is a great thing for hockey and the new rules have surely benefited our speedy players. But I think we would have been a pretty good team even under the old rules. Probably not leading the East but about 5th in the East - which we may be under the new rules. We only signed one significant free agent. Our rookies would be good under the old rules. There are many other teams who have benefited more than us with the rules change and the new CBA.

It's not just Bettman that we have to thank. It's also the the NHLPA who co-operatively worked with the league to get this going.

It's also Bob Gainey and the COMPETITION COMMITTEE which is responsible for the game as it is.

It's not Bettman who will 'fold' under the pressure. If anything, it'll be the committee.

Check this links for further info. It's encouraging.

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/cba/rules_changes072205.html

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=13113...130&hubname=nhl

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo: