Petition To The Cbc

NastyNewfy

Over the past number of years the CBC has basically turned into the Toronto Broadcasting Corporation. Saturday night's failure to cover the Boom Boom ceremony in Montreal was the final straw for me. I want to send this petition to my MP to see if we can change the philosophy of the CBC...please join me.

Edited by NastyNewfy

CBC simply broadcasts for the majority of its audience. Around 7PM, the Toronto area represents by far the biggest piece of their ratings, thus they will always lean towards presenting Leafs games. As great as Boom Boom was, most people in Toronto and in the rest of Canada, although they might feel some sympathy for this great player, don't really care for the ceremony. Similarly, when the Leafs honor some of their greatest players, I don't really care either. Besides, Radio-Canada was already broadcasting the ceremony throughout Canada; every Canadian who wanted to watch it could.

Later at night, the ratigns shift towards the Western part of Canada, and thus CBC broadcasts Canucks, Oilers, and Flames games.

Does CBC seem to favor the Leafs? Absolutely. Why? Simply because a large part of their audience is from the Toronto area. It's the same with RDS; most of their audience comes from the province of Quebec and from the Ottawa region, therefore, they broadcast Habs and Sens games.... I know, it's the same since RDS is not a public service like CBC, but the principles remain the same.

That's the problem the CBC is it's a government run "business". If it was TSN or Sportsnet, [and they show enough Leafs as well] fine, but we don't pay their salaries........

Maybe we should also petition the NHL, since TO seems to play every Saturday Night.........and get the early time slot as well, unless they play on the West Coast.

I signed the petition, but not so much that they didn't show Boom Boom's # retirement; but they show/focus TOO much attention on the Leafs............and the announcers are biased as well.

Wouldn't a SENS/HABS Saturday night game sound good?

Forgive, me, as I haven't lived back east since the mid-90's. Are the days of "split" coverage gone? I remember when there were always two games I received at my house, the Ottawa based CBC channel always showed the Leafs games (Cole and Neale), and I also received HNIC coverage of Habs games on another channel (Irvin and his every rotating color guys...Bowman, Shutt, etc).

Forgive, me, as I haven't lived back east since the mid-90's. Are the days of "split" coverage gone? I remember when there were always two games I received at my house, the Ottawa based CBC channel always showed the Leafs games (Cole and Neale), and I also received HNIC coverage of Habs games on another channel (Irvin and his every rotating color guys...Bowman, Shutt, etc).

Yeh, it used to be that we'd get two hockey games in Kingston on Saturday nights: one on ch 4 and one on ch 10... both CBCs... not this year though...

The problem isn't so much that CBC doesn't broadcats Habs games, but more that Radio-Canada doesn't anymore. That way, you always had the Leafs and the Habs playing on "free" public stations. Also, it helped that you didn't have Ottawa stuck between Montreal and Toronto for air time (at least Sportsnet broadcasts some of their games).

But again, like I said, at 7pm the majority of CBC viewers want of see Leafs games, so that's what they braodcast. If they didn't, another station would pick up Leafs games instead, and CBC would lose big on advertisement.

But again, like I said, at 7pm the majority of CBC viewers want of see Leafs games, so that's what they braodcast. If they didn't, another station would pick up Leafs games instead, and CBC would lose big on advertisement.

I think everybody gets the economic/market argument. What's galling is that they are a national, publicly-funded network, and should therefore make some attempt at equity.

I wouldn't be sad to see the CBC get out of the hockey broadcasting business. The time has come. For that matter, I woudn't be sad to see the government get out of the TV business.

THat ended sometime around when the leafs starting winning the Habs started losing ('98). I'm dieing for the Habs and NHL to push for that system once again. However, CBC has exclusive national rights for the NHL saturday games througout the season, so until that clause is modified any hockey on saturday will be on TSN and no where else.

We should be petitioning the Habs to push the NHL when the contract is up for re-negotiation.

The truth is Toronto is the largest slice of the revenue pie from CBC's perspective and I respect this, however the coverage of the games makes me feel a little ill :puke: when I see that the commentators then to focus only on the Maple Leaf side of the game and very little to the opposition.

Back in the day (no, I am not that old) Dick Irvin covered all the angles from both ends so it was balanced view of things, whereas Bob Cole tends to see Blue and White first and foremost even if it is against other canadian teams (don't even get me started when they try to say the right pronouncations of players, french or otherwise).

That is why I signed the petition. :king:

Edited by riker

this is my first post on habsworld ive been following this forum for awhile and enjoy reading most of the posts here.

that being said. the CBC really disgusts me and i have signed the petition and have sent the link to many of my friends who feel the same way. Ive been writen to the cbc in the past regarding thier over the top coverage of the leafs at the expense of the habs.

i use to love watching hockey night in canada when i was younger and they had great coverage with dick irvin. now they have become an absolute joke.

im not sure if anyone listens to the team990 but the other day Gabriel morenzi went on a tangent over cherry and mclean this was a direct quote

"montreal is a good hockey town...but now were going to one of the greats.... timmons, ontario"

wtf

hockey night in toronto can suk it..... bob cole and harry neale need to retire 5 yrs ago... ... maple leaf lovers.... greg millen(mr know it all) i'd like to drop kick in the teeth... same goes for glen healy and his bias towards every player he played with... makes me sick.

just a question : leafs had their *leaf tv* tv station right? do that channel show all the leafs games? like... let's say RDS is *habs tv*. we pay for the channel, and src is not showing any game anymore (except on saturday nite to the rest of canada), so why cbc would still broadcast the leafs?

and another point, why is it that Don Cherry still has a job, from a public broadcast station? this guy is a joke, and a Moron, Probably friends with Sean Avery for all I know... and the fact that MY taxes are paying for this idiot makes me sick... :puke: :puke: :puke:

of course ppl from Toronto dont see the big deal, in fact they had their heads soo deep in his as... ummm yeah... anyway, ends with not being able to see the sun shine... that they were actually agreeing with him on the whole "Pissous" bullshit... this idiot needs to go, end of story...

Edited by KKZ2005

There was a piece in the paper here from the Canadian Press about the decision to focus on Leafs games over the past few seasons as opposed to Habs and Sens games. Nancy Lee, head of CBC sports chalked it up to the fact that budgetary cutbacks meant that they decided to stop the split games for Ontario west and Quebec east. And since the Leafs generated higher ratings in the past few seasons, they went where the ratings were. The article even pointed out that RDS averages higher ratings on Tuesday than on Saturday. It will interesting to see if things change should the Leafs go into a decline, or the Habs continue to improve.

On that note, CBC is broadcasting the Habs/Penguins game on Saturday in Quebec and Nova Scotia, I think.