What Where Bob' Reasons For Using Aebisher ?

PB

Not to mention the fact that he is French, so he probably isnt to fond of the idea of living in the USA. If anywhere in North America would make Huet feel at home, its Montreal. ;)

Yeah, like Jacques Lemaire right? Or Bernie Geoffrion? Money talks, buddy. Hockey is a business and Huet will go where he can make the most money, and that involves being the number one.

- Jack

I think Huet will walk if he gets an offer that is for significantly more money from another team...he'd be a fool not to. Having fans chant your name doesn't pay your bills.

Hehe..."pay the bills". Because a $2M/yr salary won't pay the bills. (I know what you meant, I just love the argument from some of the spoiled athletes use for needed an extra million a year because they have to "look out for my family". I just wish people would say they're greedy for a change and get over it, they aren't fooling anyone.)

As far as the topic itself goes, ahh....it's not good ol' Montreal if there isn't a goalie controversy in the eyes of the fans. And with good goalies waiting for time in the bigs, it's only going to continue for the next few years. Ugh.

You know, there's a case to be made for carrying two strong goalies instead of one 'star,' despite the fact that the latter has become the dominant model in the NHL for the last two decades. The simplest reason for going with two goalies is that you have some protection in case of injury - a HUGE advantage IMHO. The second reason is that even Brodeur has slumps and it's nice not to have to go down in flames just because one player has a cold streak. Think back...even the great Ken Dryden had Bunny Laroque spelling him off for about 30 games a season, while Roy's backup Brian Hayward got about the same share of starts for several years. Nowadays noone can afford to carry a Patrick Roy-type salary AND another good goalie, but the Habs are lucky enough to be in a position where they have two good cheap netminders, and this depth could prove to be an enormous asset going forward. So people need to ease up on the notion that Huet must play every single game from now until 2010.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Yeah, like Jacques Lemaire right? Or Bernie Geoffrion? Money talks, buddy. Hockey is a business and Huet will go where he can make the most money, and that involves being the number one.

- Jack

Hahaha

Compare apples to oranges all ya want. The examples you gave were all screwed over or highly insulted by the Habs, which is not the case with Huet.

Pure greed landed he following player on the Leafs: Nieuwendyk, Roberts, Allison, Lindros, Gilmour, etc etc, But guess what, all those players all took large pay cuts to play for the team that they all grew up dreaming of playing for.

Why do you think a kid from France started playing hockey in the 1st place? I'm willing to bet that the reason is that he wanted to play for the Habs!! Huet is unlikely to run at the 1st chance he gets.

As for the French language barrier, Huet has been in Montreal almost 2 years, he's probably acustomed to the Quebec French by now. I'd be in complete shock if Huet goes around speaking English. If theres 1 thing I know about French people, its that they definitely prefer not to speak English.

As for the French language barrier, Huet has been in Montreal almost 2 years, he's probably acustomed to the Quebec French by now. I'd be in complete shock if Huet goes around speaking English. If theres 1 thing I know about French people, its that they definitely prefer not to speak English.

We're getting a little off subject here, but I was just making a joke. Just to finish on that side topic, the French don't actually mind speaking in English, however they hardly ever get to speak it (some prefer to learn other languages in school) so they're not always comfortable with it. It's not at all like too many close-minded Quebecers (that's still a minority... I hope) who get really offended when they hear the language; I don't think there's a sentence I hate more than "On né o Quebec sti"

Yes, it is off topic a bit, but it's a valid point for why Huet would want to stay in Montreal.

I wasnt suggesting that the French hate English, its just they definitely prefer to speak their own language whenever possible when given a choice. When Huet was in L.A. he was forced to speak English because nobody else spoke French. In Morntreal though, he can speak his natural language because the people there also speak French.

I cant beleive all the people who are questioning who should start in the playoffs. The people who think Gainey doesnt have the confidence in Huet are crazy, because if that was true, he would never have traded Theo. :P Just like the Avs, Gainey doesnt have the complete confidence in Aby. Aby is still pretty much unproven. If there is any existing proof of how good Aby is, its that he cant get to the 2nd round, thats why Avs got rid of him. The reason why Gainey got Aby is because he would be a backup who actually does have play off experience, unlike Denis.