Plekanec and Higgins

Oleg Petrov

At the beginning of the season, everyone (including me) was ready to anoint Higgins as the next Messiah.

Why?

Pre-injury Higgins: 13 GP, 8 G, 5 A, 13 P.

He's been a drag since returning from his injury, which he can't really be blamed for. Yes, 6 goals and 3 assists in 24 games is weak, but injuries are injuries.

What I wanted to point out is that Plekanec has more than imitated Pre-injury Higgins since the New Year:

2007 Plekanec: 16 GP, 9 G, 7 A, 16 P.

...but there's still a lot of reticence to identify him as anything like the Real Deal.

Parallel stats, completely different recognition. 16 points in 16 is more than a hot streak, right?

Do we have something better than we thought? Can we get Higginsesquely excited about this guy for a minute?

When you add Higgins after all-star break stats he has about a half-season being on pace for over 50goals and one of the top scorers in the league. So Plekanec has not yet shown us as much as Higgins at NHL level. At one point some people were calling Higgins a franchise player. But I think Plekanec out-scored Higgins in their last AHL seasons, and I agree he looks very good on top two lines currently.

I would have to say the right now Plekanec seems to be our best all-around forward. At least in the new year. Since coming back from injury, Higgins has been a shadow of himself. He was fast, making some dominating plays and a major offensive force. Those two at their best will be great for our future.

I would have to say the right now Plekanec seems to be our best all-around forward. At least in the new year. Since coming back from injury, Higgins has been a shadow of himself. He was fast, making some dominating plays and a major offensive force. Those two at their best will be great for our future.

Though Higgins seemed to have woken up last night. He was certainly a force to be reckoned with.

At the beginning of the season, everyone (including me) was ready to anoint Higgins as the next Messiah.

Why?

Pre-injury Higgins: 13 GP, 8 G, 5 A, 13 P.

He's been a drag since returning from his injury, which he can't really be blamed for. Yes, 6 goals and 3 assists in 24 games is weak, but injuries are injuries.

What I wanted to point out is that Plekanec has more than imitated Pre-injury Higgins since the New Year:

2007 Plekanec: 16 GP, 9 G, 7 A, 16 P.

...but there's still a lot of reticence to identify him as anything like the Real Deal.

Parallel stats, completely different recognition. 16 points in 16 is more than a hot streak, right?

Do we have something better than we thought? Can we get Higginsesquely excited about this guy for a minute?

I'm excited at the potential of both. But I'd like to see a full year of production from either to annoint them as the next messiah in Montreal. I got to see 3 habs games live last year from the front row. Two of them were stinkers against buffalo, the guy who caught my eye then was Pleakanac. HE is showing much more offensive potential and hockey smarts then what i saw at the time. What did impress me last year is how hard he works.

To me that is the real common trait between the two. They both work hard and have had some success. Let's hope that continued hard work and some addtional experience will lead to more consistancy in production.

They both have skill and before the came to Montreal they were both pegged as defensive players, since then they have shown signs of offensive brilliance.

Plekanec has lightning speed and a great shot he needs to keep working on his face-offs 48% is not terrible but he needs to get about that 50 mark.

Higgins has a nose for the net and has elite one on one moves. Last night I saw glimpses of the Higgins that impressed at the beginning of the year.

The ability of these two to become consistent will prove their worth because we have seen what they are capable of.