BERTUZZI CHEAP SHOTS MOORE! SICK!

puck7x

One of the ugliest things I've ever seen in hockey. Lost all respect for Bertuzzi. That was worse then what McLaren did to Zednik...

At least when Moore hit Naslund it was a hit! He didnt mean he hurt the guy! Thats not Moore's game at all... He didnt ask for this. Todd went out of his way to try and hurt someone, and succeded.

This is almost as bad as the Mcsorely hit. I say Bertuzzi should be suspended for the rest of the regular season and the playoffs. He tried to kill the guy i don't care what he says this was premeditated attempt to injure. The league must make an example of a star player like him and show that stuff like this is uncalled for and you will be punished.

You have two seperate actions in that incident that deserve a suspension:

- the blindside punch from behind that knocked the guy unconscious before he hit the ice.

There was a similar incident years ago when Jeff Beukeboom's career was effectively ended when he received the exact same type of sucker-punch from behind. I forget the name of the guilty player, be he got 8 or 12 games.

- Then you have the fact that after the sucker-punch he pile drived him into the ice face first... with his full weight on him for full effect.

That's frightening. That's even worse than the sucker-punch. That's McSorley territory.

But being a star player, and this being 12-13 games from the playoffs... I have a feeling he'll get the rest of the regular season, plus a token 1 or 2 playoff games.

If it was a no-name 4th liner... he'd be suspended for the year without a second thought.

This isn't Bertuzzi's first suspension either, we'll see how much that weighs into the decison.

Moore is lucky he was wearing a pretty long visor, and at the same time I think that had a lot to do with how hard Bertuzzi came at him.

It's frustrating when you're trying to get some revenge on a player with a shield who won't fight you and just turtle away.

It's no excuse obviously, I'm just saying that might be why Bertuzzi came at him as hard as he did... only to realize afterwards he had gone WAY over the line.

Ugly.

And at the worst of times no less, with this supposed to be one of the most exciting days in the hockey season at the trade deadline... it's now overshadowed by this incident, and the NHL gets another black eye.

Yeah, it was hideous. I can't say I've lost all respect for Bertuzzi because while I don't have a clue what he was thinking, and however he may come off generally, he's just not that type of guy. Nobody feels shittier about this than him, trust me. And don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the action. He deserves whatever he gets for it. It's the worst thing I've ever seen a player I like do. But at the same time, do I think he was out there to kill him? Absolutely not. I think Naslund was right on in saying that however weird it might sound, what happened to Moore wasn't Todd's intention. Ugh, I don't know. It's just a horrible thing for hockey all around.

Anyway. I just hope Moore's okay.

Being a Canucks fan second to a Habs fan, I know the rivalry between these teams and the players involved.

This is NOT the second coming of McSorely. Marty used a weapon and swung it at Brashear. This is more like the Matt Johnson/Jeff Beukeboom incident, where Johnson recieved 12 games. The Canucks have 13 games left, so I don't think it's gonna be into the playoffs. It's a possibility, though.

Hearing is Wednesday at 9am ET in Toronto. We'll see then.

Originally posted by Toren

Being a Canucks fan second to a Habs fan, I know the rivalry between these teams and the players involved.

This is NOT the second coming of McSorely. Marty used a weapon and swung it at Brashear. This is more like the Matt Johnson/Jeff Beukeboom incident, where Johnson recieved 12 games. The Canucks have 13 games left, so I don't think it's gonna be into the playoffs. It's a possibility, though.

Hearing is Wednesday at 9am ET in Toronto. We'll see then.

The sucker-punch part is exactly like the Johnson/Beukeboom incident... however Johnson never pile-drived Beukeboom's face into the ice after it.

Funny how you push that aside as if it's nothing... when that's the really ugly part of all this.

12 for the sucker-punch... but how much for the face into the ice with Bertuzzi full weight on it?

That's the question.

I much rather be hit with a hockey stick on the side of the head than have Bertuzzi's full weight sent my face into the ice.

It looked more like Bertuzzi fell than he wanted to drive him into the ice.

It looked more like Bertuzzi fell than he wanted to drive him into the ice.

That's complete and utter BS, IMO.

Bertuzzi knew exactly what he was doing - and what he did was tantamount to premeditated attempted murder. The big, brave man Bertuzzi stalked Moore, sucker punched him from behind and then jumped on him, driving his head into the ice.

Bertuzzi should be suspended at least for the duration of the regular season and the playoffs. Hopefully he'll get more.

Attempted murder - and that's what it is when you drive someone's head into the ice- is serious business. Moore will probably file criminal charges against Bertuzzi, and justifiably so.

I'drefer not to see the nasty snarl of Bertuzzi's face in the NHL ever again. Premeditated attempted murder should not be taken lightly by the NHL.

Bertuzzi first grabbed him from behind, if moore had turned and fought..... He knew it was coming tonight, as did Havalat in ottawa vs Philly. Yes it was a sucker punch, but how does that differ from Stevens blind siding guys with their heads down. He knew Bertuzzi was about to hit him, watch the replay, he just didn't want a part of it as he had been beat on already and undoubtably had sore hands. The punch was minor if you watch, the damage was done when he hit the ice.

By the way, The Rocket got one game for his stick swinging (actually breaking it over a head) and think about how pissed we all were about that. Let it go and let the players sort it out themselves, that is hockey and if you can't deal with it go play baseball.

:devil::D:devil:

Originally posted by johnnyhasbeen

Let it go and let the players sort it out themselves....

....and watch the NHL devolve into more of a joke than the WWE.

And if the Bertuzzi's attempted murder of Moore is perceived as an acceptable form of retribution then perhaps the NHL has already surpassed the WWE in idiocy.

[

....and watch the NHL devolve into more of a joke than the WWE.

Dude...wrestling is fake, get it, those guys are actors. This is hockey we are talking and not kids hockey but the game of real men. If you can't take it don't watch or don't play. This isn't suppose to be a game for women or the weak stomached wimps. If this goes to the courts, then so should every fight caught on tape as that is assault. How about contact, should we take it out of the game too, someone might get hurt.

I am not trying to justify the attack, I am just saying that hockey is a rough tough game, and everyone that has played it knows how the adreniline takes over in the heat of the mopment. You take that out of our game by bringing in civic law and you will be left with a game that only Americans that can sit through a baseball game without falling asleep will enjoy.

I AM CANADIAN, DON'T WATER DOWN MY BEER OR MY HOCKEY !!!

Dude...wrestling is fake, get it, those guys are actors. [/i]

I used wrestling metaphorically, Dude.

This is hockey we are talking and not kids hockey but the game of real men. If you can't take it don't watch or don't play. This isn't suppose to be a game for women or the weak stomached wimps. If this goes to the courts, then so should every fight caught on tape as that is assault. How about contact, should we take it out of the game too, someone might get hurt.

Machismo is alive and well, I see. For the most part, hockey fights are conducted between 2 consenting adults who understand the consequences of their actions before they even drop their gloves. The McSorely-Brashear case set a precedent - one that I agree with. There is a line in NHL hockey that must not be allowed to be crossed - that line is premeditated attempt to injure. Bertuzzi crossed that line and should face a lengthy (if not lifetime) ban from the game. Otherwise the NHL will devolve into something worse than WWE idiocy.

[Edited on 2004/3/9 by habitual_hab]

Ok then Mark Recchi was hitting a Senator with his Elbow pad last game, is that assault or what? Who is the self appointed law enforcement that says what is criminal and what isn't. How about the knee Samulson threw that ruined neeley. Should he have been prosecuted? remeber the ciserrelli incedent in Toronto, that was dropped by the courts because it was hockey.

Oh and one more, how about Morrell closelining and beatin on Oliwa in tha game vs Calgary last week, Assault or what?

I AM CANADIAN AND DON'T WANT WATERED DOWN HOCKEY OR BEER !!!!

:wall::can::wall:

The NHL has no one to blame but themselves...players/teams are getting frustrated at the cheap shot artists getting away with too much. The Philly-Ottawa game, the Isles-Toronto from last year, Van-Col, all were started by some mediocre player laying a cheap shot and the NHL subsequent lack of any real discipline.

The only way to enforce this is to let the players take care of it on the ice at the time it happens. Half the time the refs aren't even making the calls on these cheap shots too...Colin Campbell has no one to blame but himself for these issues.

I'm not defending Bertuzzi's actions...just making a point that the NHL is creating this issue themselves. The sad thing is that the "no violence in hockey" groups will use this for their own agenda...when in reality if they got rid of the instigator rule and refs called the infractions there would be virtually no problems. The league's talent is getting pissed off and the NHL doesn't seem to care.

Who is the self appointed law enforcement that says what is criminal and what isn't.

McSorely was found guilty by Vancouver court for his assault on Brashear. The precedent has been set.

If you can't understand the difference between Recchi throwing an elbow and Bertuzzi's premeditated seething-for-weeks-waiting-for-revenge attempt to kill Moore then there's no point in further discussion.

Who is the self appointed law enforcement that says what is criminal and what isn't.

McSorely was found guilty by Vancouver court for his assault on Brashear. The precedent has been set.

If you can't understand the difference between Recchi throwing an elbow and Bertuzzi's premeditated seething-for-weeks-waiting-for-revenge attempt to kill Moore then there's no point in further discussion.

What goes down on the ice stays on the ice. Keep the law out of it.

Half the damn Colorado line jumped on top of Bertuzzi and Moore, so how was that not the factor that broke his neck? So maybe we should suspend Nikolishin and give him criminal charges. Or maybe we should suspend the ice makers for making the ice too hard, and give them criminal charges.

And as for premeditated murder? Get off your damn high horse. If you've ever played a game of hockey, you know it wasn't ######ing murder. He wanted to hit him hard, but you know he had no intentions of this. Bertuzzi's a tough guy and a guy who plays the game hard and to the edge, not some common thug. Anyone who's followed the Canucks would know that.

And everyone who thinks he should be suspended for the playoffs and more, or face criminal charges...come off it. He'll be back in no more than 20 games. And he deserves every one he gets.

What goes down on the ice stays on the ice. Keep the law out of it.

McSorely was convicted of assaulting Brashear. The precedent has been set. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that the "law" is already in the game.

Half the damn Colorado line jumped on top of Bertuzzi and Moore, so how was that not the factor that broke his neck? So maybe we should suspend Nikolishin and give him criminal charges. Or maybe we should suspend the ice makers for making the ice too hard, and give them criminal charges.

A bit melodramatic, aren't we?

And as for premeditated murder? Get off your damn high horse. If you've ever played a game of hockey, you know it wasn't ######ing murder. He wanted to hit him hard, but you know he had no intentions of this. Bertuzzi's a tough guy and a guy who plays the game hard and to the edge, not some common thug. Anyone who's followed the Canucks would know that.

As far as I know, Moore is still a living, breathing, sentient being. If what Bertuzzi did was "premeditated murder", he'd be none of the above. What Bertuzzi did was premeditated and it was assault - knocking someone out and then driving their face into a hard surface like ice constitutes at most attempted murder and aggravated assault at least in my books.

he (Bertuzzi) had no intentions of this

That statement is more banal than your melodrama. Baertuzzi stalked Moore for over 10 seconds before he sucker-punched him and drove his head into the ice. Actions determine the character of a person and those actions demonstrate that Bertuzzi IS a common thug.

I've played hockey for years and I've never played with anyone so full of hate that he'd want to purposely injure an opposing player. Accidents happen but what Bertuzzi did to Moore was no accident.

What Bertuzzi did was completely out of line and an embarrasment for hockey. He should not play for the rest of the year and i think he should be prosecuted in court. As fas as I'm concerned, this is worse than McSorley but that is up for debate.

As others have said, the sucker punch was bad enough and i believe that Matt Johnson got 12 games for a sucker punch against Beukaboom, Bertuzzi should be suspended for the season because when you add in the slamming of Moore's face into the ice you get even more violence. I just hope he doesn't get off of this with only a regular season ban. To say he had no intentions of this is ridiculous.

I used to be a Bertuzzi fan, he was one of my favourite players in the league. But now i think he is ranked ahead of Domi and Tucker on my most hated list.

Bertuzzi's assault left Moore with extensive injuries:

"Exams have revealed that Steve Moore sustained a concussion and a cervical injury (neck fracture) and will be out at least for the remainder of the season,'' head Colorado trainer Pat Karns said in a statement.

Vancouver Police are investigating the incident..

"Regardless of the fact that this involves a player in the National Hockey League, this will be a routine assault investigation,'' said Const. Sarah Bloor, a spokesman for the Vancouver Police. "Crown counsel will be responsible for making a decision as to whether or not anyone is charged.''

story link

Bertuzzi first grabbed him from behind, if moore had turned and fought..... He knew it was coming tonight, as did Havalat in ottawa vs Philly. Yes it was a sucker punch, but how does that differ from Stevens blind siding guys with their heads down. He knew Bertuzzi was about to hit him, watch the replay, he just didn't want a part of it as he had been beat on already and undoubtably had sore hands. The punch was minor if you watch, the damage was done when he hit the ice.

By the way, The Rocket got one game for his stick swinging (actually breaking it over a head) and think about how pissed we all were about that. Let it go and let the players sort it out themselves, that is hockey and if you can't deal with it go play baseball.

:devil::D:devil:

Actually the Rocket Maurice Richard was suspended for the remainder of the season and the whole playoffs. And he didnt hit someone from behind like Todd did and he did it because he had been hit by a high stick right before that. So Todd definitly needs to be suspended for the season and the playoffs.

Hey, let's butcher quotes and make ourselves look high and mighty! :D

Damn tools of the media.

From talking to people around the world, I almost hope Bertuzzi gets nothing but a slap on the wrist (5 games) so it can piss all of you whiny punks off.

My 2 cents worth. I didn't see the incident but have read a lot about it and if it happened the way it's been described then Bertuzzi deserves a suspension for the rest of the season and the playoffs as well.

Moore has a busted neck, will he walk again? Is that certain? Next time this sort of thing happens maybe the guy won't walk again.

Sure hockey is a tough physical game, but as the playoffs approach, I don't want to worry that a player will decide to intentionally injure ("take out") Ribs or someone on our team, that is a different matter from the normal flow of the game.

The league has to send a strong message that this sort of premeditated assault won't be tolerated.

[Edited on 2004/3/10 by JeanLucPilon]