Kastsitsyn Status

Fanpuck33_

If I remember right, we do not have him under any sort of contract yet. If we don't reach any kind of agreement with him before the draft, is he eligble to re-enter the draft? I know that is how it works in some sports, but I am unsure of how it works in hockey.

Thanks for any help.

I think there's no time limit for European players; there's a 2 year one for North American players though.

Cases in point: Niklas Anger, Viktor Ujcik, Joni Puurula, and Johan Eneqvist all were drafted quite a while ago, but we still retain their rights, although they will likely never sign with us anyways. I think Alexander Buturlin fits in here too.

I'll see if I can find more information though...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd bring him over ASAP... I haven't seen this kid play... He wasn't in the WJC this year, I obviously cannot watch Russian hockey from over here... I've only seen a handful of clips... I wish he had signed in the WHL and dominate their for a few years...

Imagine if they could bring him in and put him on a lineup with Kovy and Perez? Yikes...

• 2 weeks later...

I think he may be ready to step right into the NHL as early as next year...but they'll probably put him in Hamilton for most of a year.

Originally posted by Zowpeb

I think he may be ready to step right into the NHL as early as next year...but they'll probably put him in Hamilton for most of a year.  

I think that he' ll have the same problems as Perezhogin had at the beginning of the season. The hockey in Russia is very different to the way it is played in North America, so I would like to see him in Hamilton next year to learn this new style of hockey. ;)

[Edited on 7-5-04 by habsfannr1]

I disagree because Perezhogin plays a different style of game from Kastsitsyn. Kasts is pure offense...and without the need to be as defensively minded he should have an easier transition.

I think his skill level can be as high as a guy like Kovalchuk...THAT'S how good I think Kastsitsyn can be in the offensive end.

Originally posted by Zowpeb

I disagree because Perezhogin plays a different style of game from Kastsitsyn.  Kasts is pure offense...and without the need to be as defensively minded he should have an easier transition.

I think his skill level can be as high as a guy like Kovalchuk...THAT'S how good I think Kastsitsyn can be in the offensive end.

Hopefully it's like you said and perhaps he will be on one of the 2 offensive lines next season. But we'll see if he comes over from Europe and how he'll show up at the training camp. :/)