A.J Thelen back in the draft

Habitforming

A.J Thelen will be re entering the draft.

I think the Canadiens would be fools not to take this guy with the 22nd pick (if he is still available).

For those of you that don't know about him he is a former first rounder from the Wild 12th overall in 04

here this is faster.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=209570&hubname=nhl

What do you think?

I don't know.. there might be other more interesting prospects when we draft. If Thelen isn't good enough for Minnesota, that should be a big warning sign. Because Thelen is a Minneosta native. I cannot imagine the Habs not able to sign a quebeker drafted in the first round. We would ask the head of the whole organization and there would be riots everywhere in Quebec.

Minnesota isn't Quebec, but still they are big hockey fans. It would be interesting to see their reaction. If the Wild won't sign a player from their own backyard, there should be something wrong. Maybe it's a problem with Thelen (is he a Hainsey kind of guy?). He had drinking issues and was kicked of his team. And we know that lately the Habs are building around character and great personalities (Chipchura, Price, Higgins..)

Unless this saying applies: "a prophet isn't honored is in his hometown, among his relatives, and in his own house"..

I don't know.. there might be other more interesting prospects when we draft. If Thelen isn't good enough for Minnesota, that should be a big warning sign. Because Thelen is a Minneosta native. I cannot imagine the Habs not able to sign a quebeker drafted in the first round. We would ask the head of the whole organization and there would be riots everywhere in Quebec.

Minnesota isn't Quebec, but still they are big hockey fans. It would be interesting to see their reaction. If the Wild won't sign a player from their own backyard, there should be something wrong. Maybe it's a problem with Thelen (is he a Hainsey kind of guy?). He had drinking issues and was kicked of his team. And we know that lately the Habs are building around character and great personalities (Chipchura, Price, Higgins..)

Unless this saying applies: "a prophet isn't honored is in his hometown, among his relatives, and in his own house"..

That is something you hardly ever see. Quoting the bible in a hockey reference? Unique for sure.

I agree but aside from the underage drinking thing there is nothing that suggests and behavior issues and there is also nothing that suggests he isn't good enough for the wild. (he did log quality minutes while winning the Mem cup.) Just that a deal could not be reached in time.

As far as the drinking goes I have seen it waaaay worse. Daniel Cleary used to leave his Gold card with the manager at a local night club (Moviola's) on a friday night and pick it up again on Monday morning. He did this every week for 2 full years. He turned out ok, even with a MAJOR drinking problem.

Edited by Habitforming

"Thelen is now an unrestricted free agent and has already generated interest from the Vancouver Canucks, Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers. "

In the same article. He is not re-entering the draft.

"Thelen is now an unrestricted free agent and has already generated interest from the Vancouver Canucks, Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers. "

In the same article. He is not re-entering the draft.

Tsn changed the article. They must have overlooked something before putting it on the site.

Oh well, I still think the habs can and need to sign him. He could supply major D depth instantly and we don't have to wait as long for him to be NHL/AHL ready.

They must have changed the article because I read it earlier today and it only said he was re-entering the draft, haha.

Not sure if the Habs will take a crack at him, don't think they'd offer a whole lot though. I believe our AHL D are alright heading into next season.

I'm guessing that it has to do with his age. He's 21 years old, and was drafted out of college, so his rights stayed with Minnesota as long as he stayed in school. Under the old CBA, the Wild could hold his rights for two years after he left school, or they could make him an unrestricted free agent at any time before that. After those two years expired, he'd automatically become UFA if not signed. The report says they relinquished his rights, so it sounds like they let him go, but I don't understand why they got a compensatory pick, 42 in the second round. If they let him go on their own, they shouldn't get a compensatory pick out of it.

I'm guessing that it has to do with his age. He's 21 years old, and was drafted out of college, so his rights stayed with Minnesota as long as he stayed in school. Under the old CBA, the Wild could hold his rights for two years after he left school, or they could make him an unrestricted free agent at any time before that. After those two years expired, he'd automatically become UFA if not signed. The report says they relinquished his rights, so it sounds like they let him go, but I don't understand why they got a compensatory pick, 42 in the second round. If they let him go on their own, they shouldn't get a compensatory pick out of it.

I agree. We don't get a pick for Perezhogin, nor do we get money from the RSL for developing him for them.

Who had the 42nd pick to start with, do they get the shaft?

A.J Thelen will be re entering the draft.

I think the Canadiens would be fools not to take this guy with the 22nd pick (if he is still available).

For those of you that don't know about him he is a former first rounder from the Wild 12th overall in 04

here this is faster.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=209570&hubname=nhl

What do you think?

they got 42 oa pick as a compensation ... that might really well be the "why"

Thelen IMO is as much "garbage" as Hainsey or Beauchemin were at the same age... The kid needs a real chance to make or break.

Don't we have the 42nd OA pick? hahaha

Since we have the 12th OA Pick...?

12 + 30 = 42 :o

merde! That's not a big shock. We always seem to get the shaft.

So what do we get as compensation for Mikus?

You get compensation if you are unable to/refuse to sign a 1st round pick, no compensation for anything else. Perezhogin is a RFA, he's still ours, there's no compensation.

The compensation pick is an additional draft pick, no one loses their pick, we just now have the 43rd pick and the last pick of the 2nd round is now the 61st pick.

Thelen showed very little in the WHL. In PA he was completely invisible. The Giants picked him up on reputation and while he played a decent amount, he wasn't their go to guy back there. It's more than just attitude problems, he simply has not progressed at all as a d-man since he was 18 years old.

Interestingly enough I thought the Wild had signed him last summer and sent him back to play as a 20 year old instead of go to the AHL, not because he didn't have a contract. Guess I was wrong.

While I'm not against signing him, I don't expect much out of such a move. IMO the 42nd pick in a weak draft is probably fair compensation and might be better than continuing to hope for something out of Thelen.

As far as the drinking goes I have seen it waaaay worse. Daniel Cleary used to leave his Gold card with the manager at a local night club (Moviola's) on a friday night and pick it up again on Monday morning. He did this every week for 2 full years. He turned out ok, even with a MAJOR drinking problem.

Still, how many careers are ruined as a result? Cleary, among a few others, are likely the exceptions. I think we've got enough drama in MTL... no need to add fuel to the fire.

Then again, there's always the possibility that he's gotten the help he needs for Recovery.

Still, how many careers are ruined as a result? Cleary, among a few others, are likely the exceptions. I think we've got enough drama in MTL... no need to add fuel to the fire.

Then again, there's always the possibility that he's gotten the help he needs for Recovery.

I meant that in a half serious manner. The Cleary part is 100% true he really used to do that, but A.J Thelen does not have a drinking problem. He had one weekend of fun that turned out to be bad because he got caught. This has not been a reoccuring offense and he does not have any behavioral issues. It was a one time infraction that he paid for in spades 2 years ago.

The only reason that I suggested we take a flyer on him is because he is now 20 and as close to the NHL as he ever will be, unlike any new D-man we draft now.

Some have said it but the main reason for Minnesota not signing Thelen is that they view the 42nd pick in this year's draft better than Thelen. That says a lot. However, with his stint with the Giants, he played pretty well. Fairly solid all around and his work ethic was impressive. He just hasn't developed as he was expected to. His behaviour/attitude isn't the problem at all.

He's certainly worth giving a shot and it shall be interesting to see who he signs with.

If he didn't have a drinking problem before he came to PA, chances are he has one after 1 1/2 years of being of legal age (and a hockey player) there. That's one hard drinking town.