Here Comes Valentenko

Makh2o

If that is true, I'd think there is almost officially no way we bother with Souray. It will be (Y?)Emelin and a UFA (cheaper than Sheldon, outlet-pass capable) D. The Cube on the block?

I agree that something is up. Also, BOb did say in the plainest language that he was going to "rebuild the defence".

If that is true, I'd think there is almost officially no way we bother with Souray. It will be (Y?)Emelin and a UFA (cheaper than Sheldon, outlet-pass capable) D. The Cube on the block?

These signings might affect Sheldon's term... I think there's a reason the offer given was 3 years. No way we should offer more than that with the blueliners we have coming up.

It definitely means we should be shopping Bouillon or Dandenault to make room. Emelin, Gorges, Streit, and O'Byrne all could be NHL ready next year (with 2 already there). Other options would be to put one of Streit or Dandenault at forward if we can't move either of those 2.

Who will be back for Hamilton's D (the Preds won't move there next season, guys, no worries about the Bulldogs location)? I guess Cote and O'Byrne will likely return if Emelin comes over, Archer and Benoit kept as veterans, and Carle and Valentenko broken in as rookies. Gleed will get a shot as the 7th. Biron, Jancevski, and Groulx... do we try and bring them back? They might have better opportunities in other organizations.

There's still an off-chance we'll carry 8 d-men even if we move one of Bouillon or Dandenault, and I guess Cote (or Jancevski) would be that spare guy. But that possibility seems less likely after the playoff run because guys like Ferland and Milroy are just as likely to stay as extra forwards as an extra d-man, especially since O'Byrne would be an easy call-up option (still waiver exempt) on D if we ran into injury trouble.

I think there's a reason the offer given was 3 years. No way we should offer more than that with the blueliners we have coming up.

Agreed. I think that Souray has 3 years left of eliteness (by his standards) and then will start to decline in play. I don't base this on age but rather his injury woes. The whole hold up on Sheldon might not be the money, but rather the length of the term. BOb wants a "Sheldon Souray" at 100%, not 80 or 70% in 4 years.

Just a theory here.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Valentenko got 3 years because that's the standard NHL entry level contract. After that first contract, the rest of the years are determined by negotiations.

I was referring to the Souray offer ($4.5m per for 3 years), not Valentenko's.

Habs have stroke gold with Emelin and Valentenko. Great mid-round picks. They really do need to bring Emelin over asap though. With Carle also making the jump, with Fischer not too far away, with O'Byrne on the brink of the NHL and Komi already becoming a top 2 D-man, Habs have suddenly 5 very good NHL D-men prospects.

Throw Price and Halak in the mix; and all our good forward prospects and man, I can't wait for the future to be now.

I'm also proud to hear that vice-prez Julien BriseBois named his firstborn after the one and only me!

Justine? Like in Justine Henin?

;)