Penalize the Teams?

JLP

Dave Hodge brought up the point that the Flyers have three suspended players, and suggested that when there are fouls that merit suspensions, the NHL consider penalizing not only the player but also their team. How could this be done so it would really be a deterrent?

this is a joke.

One of the guys has never played an NHL regular season game in his life.

One of them is a goon who will never play another game in the NHL

The other one didn't even make a dirty play. Bergeron turned into the boards when it was already too late.

This hardly seems like a team epidemic or the flyers teaching their players to play dirty

this is a joke.

The other one didn't even make a dirty play. Bergeron turned into the boards when it was already too late.

This hardly seems like a team epidemic or the flyers teaching their players to play dirty

I sort of agree with you in some respects but I do think that the team should get fined in certain circumstances.

If an organization has a number of players suspended I think that fining the team might be one road to take. In this case I agree that the flyers are not teaching their players to play dirty. On the other hand they are playing dirty and that should be punished. If the team and organization as a whole is responsible for their conduct on the ice (which they should be) players my play more responsible. It may help weed out some of the selfishness for these cheap shots. Now how they go about enforcing this and measuring how much the fine should be I have no idea.

this is a joke.

I think your points actually support punishing the team, because otherwise marginal players can do damage with impunity. But anyway the question is how to make it a clear deterrent, fining the team is one way but are there others?

It's simple really.

If a coach puts players on the ice that can be deemed to be a detriment to the situation at hand...for example, running up the score and leaving your #1 scorers on the ice in the final minute forcing the issue...or each coach is running out the goon squads, etc. Then the coach should also be suspended and the team should lose a roster spot for the duration of a player suspension or coaches suspension.

This could easily be expanded to include situations where a team faces multiple suspensions that are longer then say 10 games. One incident could/should be considered isolated. More then one signficant incident means the coach and organization likely does not have control of the players, their attitudes and may even be promoting that culture from within. As such the organization should definitely be penalized. JMHO.

Further, players who have a long history of incidents should face stiffer penalities of an exponential scale. Extreme incidents from players with long histories of these incidents, like Downie, should also mean the team faces a stiff penalty and loses a roster spot for the duration of the suspension...and since that suspension would be on an exponential scale it could be VERY long. This will force teams to actually enforce these issues internally and/or not utilize/draft/sign players who are complete idiots. It's not about taking violence out of the game, it's about taking the needless violence out of the game.

Some people want to make it an issue of violence/physicality being a part of the game but it's not about that. It's about setting a limit that says: we can accept some fighting in the heat of the moment, we can accept legal bone crushing hits, we can accept that some incidents will require minor suspensions BUT we can't accept the extreme actions a player takes when they intentionally try to injure a player or pre-meditate the attempt.

Edited by Zowpeb

If a coach puts players on the ice that can be deemed to be a detriment to the situation at hand...for example, running up the score and leaving your #1 scorers on the ice in the final minute forcing the issue...or each coach is running out the goon squads, etc. Then the coach should also be suspended and the team should lose a roster spot for the duration of a player suspension or coaches suspension.

You're joking, right? You want to suspend a coach for running up the score? Give me a break, that's ridiculous. If a team's playing bad enough to be down big already, then they should have no reason to complain if the other team doesn't take the foot off the pedal. Maybe your 3rd and 4th lines just had shifts and you need to play your 1st line? If the coach wants his 1st line out there risking injury for no reason, then more power to him.

I agree there is nothing wrong with "running up the score," why not try to put the puck in the net, that's the object of the game isn't it?

Maybe if the Habs were playing a college team in an exhibition game or something, I could see the argument.

Zowpeb the rest of your post does make sense to me, agree with most of it.

Maybe if the Habs were playing a college team in an exhibition game or something, I could see the argument.

Yeah, in lower levels running up the score is definitely unsportsmanlike, but when you're getting paid to play game, there's no room for complaint.