This is what we don't need

SOOPAVILLIN

"The veteran forward from Finland was mentioned Tuesday by Quebec lawyer Guy Bertrand at provincial public hearings looking into reasonable accommodation for religious minorities. Bertrand was upset that during the Canadiens' Oct. 13 home opener, Koivu, as part of a videotaped pre-game ceremony, introduced his teammates in English only.

"I have the right to be served in my language," he said. "He has been playing for 12 years (for the Canadiens). He is married to a francophone. It demonstrates contempt for our language. It is not respectful."

Koivu, whose wife Hanna speaks French but was born in Finland, was quick to address Bertrand's remarks.

Last November: Bertrand wants Quebec team at Worlds

"I'm not perfect," he told a scrum of reporters at the Bell Centre. "There's nothing we can do when politicians have opinions on the team or on me, but sometimes you can't control what's being said out there."

Koivu speaks limited French, and has done so at team functions like hospital visits with children.

"It's a bit easier talking to kids than talking to you (Michael) in French," Koivu jokingly told TSN's Michael Whalen. "And I talk to my wife in French in the right atmosphere," he added with a wink. "You know what I'm talking about."

General manager Bob Gainey, a former captain who will have his number retired by the Canadiens this season, has previously mentioned the importance of a Canadiens captain being able to speak French.

"Bob Gainey was a model during the time he was captain," Koivu added. "He made the effort to learn French. When I arrived here, I had to learn English and it took me some time before mastering it. In an ideal world, I should also speak French. But I'm not perfect in that sense."

Koivu, who received the 'C' in September of 2000, is the Canadiens' second-longest serving captain behind the legendary Jean Beliveau."

I got that from tsn.

Seriously though I wish people would just shut up and enjoy the product on the ice rather then trying to stir up BS like this.....

Edited by SOOPAVILLIN

"The veteran forward from Finland was mentioned Tuesday by Quebec lawyer Guy Bertrand at provincial public hearings looking into reasonable accommodation for religious minorities. Bertrand was upset that during the Canadiens' Oct. 13 home opener, Koivu, as part of a videotaped pre-game ceremony, introduced his teammates in English only.

"I have the right to be served in my language," he said. "He has been playing for 12 years (for the Canadiens). He is married to a francophone. It demonstrates contempt for our language. It is not respectful."

Koivu, whose wife Hanna speaks French but was born in Finland, was quick to address Bertrand's remarks.

Last November: Bertrand wants Quebec team at Worlds

"I'm not perfect," he told a scrum of reporters at the Bell Centre. "There's nothing we can do when politicians have opinions on the team or on me, but sometimes you can't control what's being said out there."

Koivu speaks limited French, and has done so at team functions like hospital visits with children.

"It's a bit easier talking to kids than talking to you (Michael) in French," Koivu jokingly told TSN's Michael Whalen. "And I talk to my wife in French in the right atmosphere," he added with a wink. "You know what I'm talking about."

General manager Bob Gainey, a former captain who will have his number retired by the Canadiens this season, has previously mentioned the importance of a Canadiens captain being able to speak French.

"Bob Gainey was a model during the time he was captain," Koivu added. "He made the effort to learn French. When I arrived here, I had to learn English and it took me some time before mastering it. In an ideal world, I should also speak French. But I'm not perfect in that sense."

Koivu, who received the 'C' in September of 2000, is the Canadiens' second-longest serving captain behind the legendary Jean Beliveau."

I heard Bertrand on the radio this morning, he is for an Independent Quebec, separate from Canada. He also mentioned that in 50 years there was going to be only one language in North America, English. He is wrong, all demographics point to Spanish as the majority language in 50 years. He figures forcing people like Koivu to speak French he protects the language and culture. Sorry to mix politics with sports but the morning sports radio program on CKAC 730 spent way too much time on this subject. Play hockey and get off the lanquage crap.

"I have the right to be served in my language"

Boo farking hoo.

Hey pal, free speech. This isn't reasonable accomodation, this is the right to express yourself.

Right to be served in my own language... wow... incredible. What a close-minded racist asshole. If people like this Bertrand fellow ruled the world, you wouldn't be allowed to offend anyone. When the right to offend becomes supplanted by the right to not get offended, we know the world has taken a turn for the worst.

It's a free country, and Koivu can speak in klingon if he so wanted. If you're not happy, too bad. Go cry to Pauline Marois.

Hats off to Koivu for handling this well.

Edited by Cataclaw

Threads like this and TSN reporting it don't help either. All this guy wants is publicity, and he's getting it. :P

So then let's not talk about it! :clap:

Let's let this be the last post. If you are really tempted to post, DON'T!!!!!! It's not worth it......................

Edited by SAKS-AVENUE