Press conference transcript

This was posted by Mr Bozo at HabsRus

---------------------

A recap of this morning's press conference as done by a former member of HabsRus:

Thoughts on Kovalev(plenty of questions) :

-Took some time for him to become a good functionning productive member of our team..but over time and in the POs we saw what kind of performer he was for us. From a hockey mgmt point, we have evaluations to make on all our free agents and see if they fit in.

-No ''priority'' per se when it comes to UFA's.

-We'll pursue Kovalev as actively as our analysis tells us we should pursue him.

-On whether he will re-sign him before July 1, he says that if players in the 7 ufa group interest them, they will talk with them.

-Necessary to consider every aspect(on the ice, $$, team wise) when it comes to Kovalev

on CJ:

-His part in the success and improvement this year is evident.

-We'll work hard to have him back. Briefly spoken about it with CJ a couple of times.

- Confident he can keep working with this group and improve.

-Recomends he should be back.

on UFA's:

-we'll evaluate each situation. We are looking at our kids in Hamilton and evaluating them as well.

QUESTION ON PEREZ:

- We are trying to assist Hamilton people and provide information.

Didn't answer if his position in the org has changed even though that was the question.

What should Habs improve?

-CJ answers, we'll take time to sit down and discuss with hockey people. We learned alot during the season and the POs.

will he keep the same assistants?

-Tough to tell. Some situations are not under our control. Do they want to come back? Haven't discussed it yet.

Is it tough to negotiate deals with new CBA coming?

-Probably a bit tougher because we think the rules will change but we don't know in what way. But we must use the current rules.

What impressed them about the team this year?

-BG: watching our team improve. Seeing small things become important in our play every night. Rewarding for everyone. Team looking and acting more like a team and getting results. Players having breakthrough years. Langdon had a great effect on our team. Brought spirit and comfort. Garon, when asked to play, played very well for us and provided us with points in games where we might have not otherwise. Ribeiro a good example of patience with young players

-CJ: Gonna say the same thing. Got better as the season went on and the tough situations we faced. Talks about the 4 straight losses in February with Buffalo 3 back and we went on a tear. Faced challenges in a possible way and we grew alot.

Was there a turning point in the season?

- CJ: can't pick one but...HC in Edmonton picked up our team. The 4 losses in Feb hurt us because we were slipping and we had key injured players and we found a way to win game. But can't pinpoint one.

What do you remember from the last round as a lesson?

-CJ: Must eliminate small mistakes if you want to go far in the POs

Question on Garon and when he wants to be a number 1:

-BG: It's part of our team wide evaluation. We will take time to evaluate every single one of our players. And more bla bla bla

What kind of player do we need for the future that we are lacking now?

-BG: Start of the year: Size. More firepower up front. But the key thing was finding a way to work together. We'll look at the Hamilton players and find the individuals we feel can help us.

questions on CBA

- BG: I know 2 sides are talking. Solutions will be found from talking.

- CBA still in place until Sept 15th. Until that changes, it's the CBA we will work with. Do we try to project what the new one will be? yes. But we must know how it's gonna look for the Montreal Canadiens.

Areas to improve

- BG:We need to learn how to win against better teams. Cutting down on mistakes. It comes with maturity, experience and coaching.

-CJ: Always challenge yourself to be better. Players and coaches must learn and do more.

Will you continue to improve the size of the team?

-I think he said we are in the same position we were in 9 months ago(he said it in broken down french so it was tough to hear). We also look at the determination of the player.

Fat a$$ Regean Tremblay asks to CJ why mistakes beat us:

-CJ: Says TB went through the same thing last year when they lost in round 2 to NJ. They improved the little things and says the effort was there for TB last year and us this year. They capitalized on our small mistakes and beat us. Can't go from 0 to 10. We made a step forward and must get to the next step.

How will you work for the next training camp when there might not be one? and will there be a youth movement like last year?

-CJ: first question...he will prepare the same way he did last year.

for question number 2, we will discuss all situations this summer.

what about Joe Juneau?

-He was excellent for us this year. A good veteran. He brought experience on and off the ice. Excellent career. A shame a player like him must end his career on a loss.

Where is our team on a scale from 0 to 10?

-CJ: won't use a number but we made good progress.

ANY UNTOUCHABLES here or in hamilton?

-BG: Yes. I think yes. Some players we need to have a good team. Lots of players we've invested time and energy in(read: kids).

What's the challenge for the kids in the coming months?

-CJ: Kids must continue to improve in the coming months to help the team.

Komisarek, why is he not in Hamilton yet?

-BG: I left Komo with the option to go back down. He decided to ''unplug'' from hockey and begin to prepare for next year. He had an interesting year, sitting alot, living in a hotel,etc

Stupid question on if a one year deal for CJ is a 'vote of confidence for him'

CJ says it was very pleasant to work with these players and says he can take this team deeper into the POs if we eliminate the mistakes because we have lots of potential on our team.

What have you learned this year that can make you a different coach next year?

-CJ: You always learn. The day you stop learning you should retire. My goal is to be a better coach. Lots of little things you learn as the season goes on.

Can the core group be better despite the team being younger?

-BG: I am reluctant to answer because I don't know what a ''better season for us'' exactly is. We just need to be better. Success this year does not dictate success next year. Just like last year did not dictate this year. Atlanta, Florida and others want our PO spot next year. Competition will be great. We will be as good if not better next year if we do things that made us succesful this year.

Did you go to get Kovy for rest of this season or long term?

-BG: It's not clear yet(laughs). Got him for the POs and to have access to his rights until July 1 and for him to have access to us.

There were 2 Kovalev's, which one is the real one?

-BG: now you know my problem(everyone laughs)

continued later in English: We had info on the player and his long term performance is better than his 6 week performance at the end of March. It's what they pay us to do, we have to evaluate him. He's been around for years and there's lots of info out there.

Evaluation of Theo's work in the POs and is he untouchable?

-BG: A high level goalie. Important to have one if you want to make the POs. Happy of what he did this year. Was he 100 perfect? nope, like others. He can improve, like all of us. That's how we improve a team. Untouchable? he's on our team.

Has GG told you to reduce the budget?

-BG: Not really. I undestand the situation if he does ask for it.

Dissapointed in the TB series?

-BG: Yes. However, it's like when we lost four after the ASG we were not panicking but we were ready to do things to improve the team.

Question on the Ribs benching, did you consult Bob?

-CJ: I didn't. It was my decision. He left me alone all year. I consulted with my coaching staff. We are as good as the people who are in our entourage.

Are you disadvantaged by your size?

-BG: I don't get that feeling when I watch our team every night. This guy St Louis is small and good.

Press conference was pretty much a waste of time. Just a season closing conference....

Gainey and Julien didnt tell us anything that we didnt already know. I cant wait till the Kovalev signing conference :)