Theodore received death threat...

puck7x

This is why nobody wants to play in Montreal. Good luck resigning Kovalev. If I were him, I'd probably just use Montreal as a ladder to get more money from other teams.

Here's a short report from Pat Hickey:

Habs need Garon to push Theodore

Pat Hickey

The Gazette

May 26, 2004

Watch for Jose Theodore trade rumours to resurface in the wake of reports the Canadiens goaltender received death threats during the playoff series against Tampa Bay.

It would be a mistake to dismiss the threats, particularly in light of the legal problems facing Theodore's father and other members of his family, but it's important to keep these things in perspective.

Theodore isn't the first athlete to receive a death threat. Jackie Robinson and Hank Aaron are among those who received threats based on racism, and I suspect that if the police ever find the person behind the anonymous threat to Theodore, it will turn out to be someone upset over a losing Mise-O-Jeu ticket.

As for the Canadiens trading Theodore, it isn't going to happen until the team finds someone who can do a better job. In light of the controversy surrounding him, Theo did a good job last season. The reason the Habs will keep him is the organization knows he can play better and that's the key to the team's future success.

Theodore has shown a willingness to deal with the pressure that goes with playing in Montreal. The team would do well to jack up the pressure next season by giving Mathieu Garon a chance to compete for the No. 1 job. Theodore was at his best two seasons back when he was battling Jeff Hackett for the top spot.

As @puck7x said, you know such things from the Russian mafia and so on ... here in Europe there's lots of that stuff, mostly involving with soccer players. Normally you don't take it serious but in Théo's case, the police is investigating the whole thing for around 4 weeks right now, so there must be something true with this death threat ... :nono:

[Edited on 26-5-04 by habsfannr1]

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

I believe David Beckham got a death threat after he got the red card vs Argentina in the 98 World Cup.

Beckham gets a lot of death threats ... I think the last one was when he left Manchester for Madrid. :eyes:

BTW: After that red card vs. Argentinia, Becks played the best 4 years of his career ... :P

If any of you recall, when Columbia lost to the U.S. the World Cup in '94, Andrea Escobar was gunned down in the middle of his home town, in front of hundreds of people, after accidentally kicking the ball into his own goal, eliminating Columbia from the tourney. The great Pele himself had predicted Columbia to win the tournament that year prior to the start of competition.

Death threats should always be taken seriously, considering that many fans are 'fanatical' in this day and age.

[Edited on 2004/5/26 by dinamo]