Kovalev to become UFA

puck7x

2nd hand info I've read on a few other boards, according to CKAC...

- Kovalev rejected an offer from Gainey, will test free agency. (It doesnt rule out a return to Montreal, but our chances are worse now)

- Perreault to be let go

- Gainey trying to re-sign Quintal?

- Gainey willing to move up in the draft

This news just ruined my day. :wall:

Edit: here is a link from RDS ... <a href="http://www.rds.ca/cgi-bin/nouvelles?site=rdw&action=4&SPODIR=information&sport=#103050">CLICK HERE!</a>

[Edited on 2004-6-15 by puck7x]

I'm not surprised, I thought Kovalev would not sign before the deadline... I think he really doesn't know want he wants right now.

He figures he'll wait for the dust to settle after the CBA is signed, then make his decision.

Frankly, either way this thing goes... I'll live.

On the one hand we need the skill, on the hand I don't find him to be the best fit... and am worried he'll revert to disappointing production in the regular season.

I am more disappointed with the statement that the team wants to retain Quintal... if the CKAC part is accurate about this.

It was painfully obvious that he was done, for most of last year he was just painful to watch.

I really hope it isn't true. Quintal had said after the season that he wouldn't accept a #7 role, I say that even as a #7 it's bad news.

We needed to sign a new big left D, and Bouillon falls to #7.

If Quintal stays, that screws up that plan.

Ah hell... looks like the D is going to frustrate me to death once more next year, just great.

As for moving up in the draft, well obviously that's nice to hear... I've always been for that if there's a player worth trading up for.

Another link, for those of you who want an english version : http://www.habsworld.net/show_big_news.php?id=606

I agree about Quintal. Whats the point in bringing him back? Is it just a sentimental move? Cause I really dont see a use for him on the team, his toughness is replaced by Komisarek, his experience can be replaced by Rivet/Brisebois. If we bring Quintal back will it be as a #7 or a top-6? ... If so, what does that mean for Komisarek? Back to minors? or Bouillon? Doesnt make sense to me. Unless Gainey plans on trading another D (Souray, Rivet, Brisebois, Markov)

I kind of figured Kovalev would test out the free agent market, I still have confidence Gainey will find a way to get something do and i do think Kovalev would like to be in a Habs uni next year.

I also agree, why even bother bringing back Quintal? He is just way too slow at this point in his career to keep up. Hopefully Quintal won't accept the role that Gainey offers him and Stephane moves on.

As Habs77 said, i'm not shocked with the Kovalev news. It was very previsible, I never expected Gainey to sign him. It was a great move late in the season to boost our playoffs chance. It was very thrilling, as fans, to finally see the management get a first-class player and try to make a solid run into playoffs.

And, I'm pretty sure we'll get a draft compensation with Kovalev not signing with us.. am I right??

If Habs are signing Quintal, there's probably a move in the air. Rivet to be traded?

I really like what Quintal bring to the club. One of the only guys to defend his teamates, to drop his gloves. He has a great attitude and never surrender. He's only 36.. he still has his place!

If I had to chose a first-class player, Kovalev wouldn't be on my list. Never liked him (well since 1995 playoffs vs Quebec lol). I'd rather go after a Guerin, like Habs77 suggested.

[Edited on 2004-6-15 by sakiqc]

Guerin's an ass, I'd take Kovalev over him any day.

Although Murray, another #27, absolutely.

Kovalev and Murray will be the top UFAs IMO, especially since Kovalev is revamped (un-Rangerized).

I think (hope?) that it has to do with the uncertainty of next season. I'd be happy for Kovalev to go wherever (WHA, Russia, etc) as long as he came back to the Habs when the season started again.

If you thought last summer was bad... wait for October...*shudders*

I wonder what kind of money kovy turned down?

Maybe the Habs offered him 3 million or something. I don't think he is worth 6.5 or perhaps he even wanted a raise.

If kovy is asking 6-7 million, I say screw him. I would rather sign two decent players totalling 7 mil.

Yes I like him and he is obviously a good player but not worth 6-7 million. I think he will accept a small deal from mario.

Quintal is one of the only habs that will drop the gloves. We need that.....His defensive game is lacking a bit but if he comes cheap, then sign him.

I sure hope we have a season in october

:hlogo:

Originally posted by Prime Minister Koivu

I wonder what kind of money kovy turned down?

Has anyone heard any rumors/reports on this?

I'm curious how much we save with departures and how much we are ready to spend, of course this summer most everything is up in the air...

Primeau signed for a paycut, you can be sure Gainey made the same type of offer to Kovy.

Since the highest paid forward is Koivu at 4M... I figure it's in that range. Gainey said he made an offer that reflected the team's salary structure.

As for how much we saved, Perreault (3M), Juneau (2M), Sundstrom (1.4M), Dackell (1M), Quintal (1.?)... around 8M.

Don't forget the approx 6M we spent buying out Czerk, McKay & Audette last year.

So that's 14M that we spent last year that aren't coming back.

BUT, we have quite a few FAs who are due to make more $$... Souray, Ryder, Ribeiro, Zednik are the first ones that come to mind.

Then buying out Dykhuis will cost 1M.

Gillett will probably be aiming to bring down the payroll in light of the new CBA... so there's room for perhaps Kovy & a guy like Laperriere let's say.

If we're lucky.

When Kovalev finds out he won't get top money on the market, he'll come crawling back.

I seriously thought this guy was a team player. Oh how I was fooled. If he wants to go back to Pittsburgh, let'em. Have fun golfing in April while the Habs are fighting for the Cup.

We have enuff young players and their is enuff UFA's that Gainey could fill his spot.

[Edited on 2004/6/16 by Leafs Suck]