Coaching

maxamillion

Here in Philadelphia, we have what has become almost an every-other-season affair where we fire our coach, and it's not looking good for John Stevens right now. I am one of his few defenders in Flyerland, and I was wondering what outsiders thought about coaching in general. how much do they really control?

Edited by maxamillion

how much do they really control?

Wow. That's really hard to answer. I think it depends a lot on the coach, and the chemistry between the coach and the players. SOmetimes the coach means nothing, sometimes he can make a huge difference, good or bad.

• 2 weeks later...

depends on the system.

Pittsburgh : know how to develop your kids the good way by adding vets presence

Montreal : about the same as Pitts

Minnesotta : playing the system since there are not many good offensive players, make them stick to the plan

Detroit : buy popcorn and watch the show

Then, it's much about in games strategies (line matching, calling good timeouts, speechs, cut the bench, etc).

But in the end, the more important is to be able to make these guys give all they have for the team. The passion, the psychic approach, the confidence, etc.

But again, this is a team game, if a bunch of players don't do the job... if the goaler let 2 suckers in.... if O'Byrne get ejected in the 1rst period...

you never know

I wouldn't entirely put the blame on Stevens.

The Flyers did bring significant changes in the off-season and it's so hard to get all these guys gel together in one season. If the chemistry is not there then you can't really put Stevens at fault. Mind you, he is at fault if he can't muster up a minimum of work to help discover working combinations.

I wouldn't entirely put the blame on Stevens.

The Flyers did bring significant changes in the off-season and it's so hard to get all these guys gel together in one season. If the chemistry is not there then you can't really put Stevens at fault. Mind you, he is at fault if he can't muster up a minimum of work to help discover working combinations.

The turnover definitely didn't help, but we've had costly injuries at key times. there was a point where we were losing a player a game for about 7 in a row, and we were forced to call Giroux up for a few games. Also, losing gagne didn't help. he and briere :ducks: were on fire at the beginning of the season, but once Gags went down, it wasn't until prospal came in that he started firing up again. Stevens has done a lot of shuffling too, and it's starting to fall into place now that the lineup has stabiliized somewhat. I just feel like the coach is like a politician sometimes, he has less power than people give him credit for.