WHA Draft: Detroit takes Perezhogin...

puck7x

Thats sort of interesting, I guess it gives Perezhogin one more possible place to play, the WHA must not care about his AHL suspension if they bothered to draft him.

http://www.worldhockeyassociation.net/index.htm

4. Hamilton Michael Ryder RW Montréal (NHL)

16. Québec Yannick Perreault C Montréal (NHL)

51. Detroit Alexander Perezhogin RW Hamilton (AHL)

74. Dallas Ron Hainsey D Montréal (NHL)

76. Toronto Mathieu Garon G Montréal (NHL) <--- Should say LA

93. Hamilton Jim Dowd C Montréal (NHL)

What a wacky looking draft... Travis Green 2nd overall? Has he said he will definitely play in the WHA or something?

Originally posted by puck7x

What a wacky looking draft... Travis Green 2nd overall? Has he said he will definitely play in the WHA or something?

I agree, wiggity-wack. The team that drafted him (Halifax) also made some other "fine" picks:

Chris Tamer (3rd Round)

Steve Passmore (5th Round)

Jason Krog (8th Round)

Rory Fitzpatrick (15th Round)

Donald Audette!!! (16th Round)

Note how Steve Thomas and Jan Hlavac were picked in the last 5 picks of the draft...:?-

Oh well, best of luck to the WHA. Hopefully they smack the NHL and NHLPA around a bit, make them realise that the work stoppage is not good for the game.

I wonder if ESPN will televise the WHA games?

Halifax will win the championship...they picked the crappiest guys who will actually play in the crappy WHA for equal competition. Smart picking.

Perezhogin...maybe he will play in the WHA. With a stall in the negotiations for the deal that brings European players to the NHL, and his suspension from the AHL, he may get the best competition he can in the WHA.

Wow, Brad Richards should have been first pick... or at least second :P:P... anywayz... all i can say, is, if there is no NHL season next year, i hope this works out, so That i can see some hockey continue... but, i really am routing for the NHL to get back up on its feet.

According to a Sudbury poster:

In today's local paper(Sudbury Star)they had an article on the new WHA coach of the Detroit team Moe Mantha(who played with the Winnipeg Jets) and lives nearby in Sturgeon Falls. They drafted Perez, and Mantha stated he spoke to several scouts and was told the incident that he was under suspension for is clearly out of character for this player and was told he is still the #1 prospect in the Habs organisation(by Andre Savard) If the WHA goes forward, Mantha has said they will NOT honor the AHL suspension and Perez will have a chance to play.

Then another poster:

Apparently Perezhogin is in negotiations with Dynamo Moscow (the same team Markov will play for in case of a lockout). According to Dynamo’s official site he’s already played in an exhibition game for them on a line with Tereschenko (Dallas prospect) and Ovechkin.

Markov and Perezhogin playing together can only be good news IMO... if there's a lockout ofcourse.

Looks like the Habs aren't lacking in their options on where Perezhogin will play next year.

Playing with Markov, and on a line with Ovechkin... seems kinda nice.