Who would you make captain if Koivu left?

Guy10

I do beleive there's an NHL rule against this. Only skaters can recieve a captaincy, because their job is to discuss matters of rule interpretation with the refs, and in case of a scrum, goalies aren't allowed to leave the crease.

NHL Rule #14

Section D: No playing Coach or playing Manager or goalkeeper shall be permitted to act as Captain or Alternate Captain.

[Edited on 2004/7/30 by Toren]

I could see Zednik as a captain, now that I think about it more. He's an alternate, he's been on the Habs long enough and he's certainly an important player.

He's a star player that plays like a superstar in big games. I'd much rather have that sort of player than a superstar that disappears in big games.

Problem is that Zednik isn't one of the more respected players on the team (personality-wise). You never hear him making big statements like Rivet or Souray (even if he was wrong). Zednik just hasn't taken a stand.

It's not about him not being respected, because, as Ribeiro pointed out, he plays like a superstar in big games.

My issue is his inconsistency during the regular season - he could be so good if only he could keep up a regular pace, and not score in spurts.

How to fix it?

Enter Mr. Kovalev

or Mr. Selanne

or Mr. Lemieux :D

Right now there would be only Souray who could do that job (perhaps).

Koivu is the born leader and nobody could do it like Saku on the current team.

In the future there are some good guys with Komi, Chipchura or perhaps also Higgins.

Some also mentioned Captain Kirk ... he was a true leader. He gave 100% every night and I guess he also could do the job right now. Isn't he also UFA ... ? :king:

• 3 weeks later...