Jim Dowd?!

bombTHEice

Are there any news about Dowd? Will Bob Gainey bring him back or was it just a short stint for Dowd in Montréal?

Gainey always said that the team needs a right handed center. They got a very good defencive one in Dowd and now they won't re-sign him? Again there wouldn't be a right handed center next season, so what is this all about? Dowd would be a good fit on the 4th line alongside with Bégin and Ward.

[Edited on 4-8-04 by habsfannr1]

I agree, Gainey should sign Dowd....He played very well with the Habs in his short stint last season!...

Begin-Dowd-Ward would be a great 4th line...

Get the rest of the boys under contract now, and sign a couple big names (Kovalev, Murray)

Kovalev-Koivu-Murray

Zednik-Ribeiro-Ryder

Bulis-Bonk-Sundstrom

Begin-Dowd-Ward

Wow, just imagine if Gainey could ice those lines!!

Even thought it would be nyce to have both Kovy and Murray on the team, i think we will... sadly... only get one of them... lol,

I am a big fan of Dowd, mostly for his upbeat personality.... I think just about everyone remembers what he said when he came to Montreal. That's the kinda player you want around. He played fantastic, and elevated his game in the playoffs.

I think at the right price, he would be a perfect fit for the 4th line, or even an extra to have around the team incase the injury plagued Begin goes down again.

Saw this on TheFourthPeriod (the source of the article is from the Montreal Gazette):

There are also a number of unrestricted free agents who have yet to sign. The Gazette claims Alex Kovalev has expressed reluctance to return to Montreal, while the Canadiens have shown no interest in bringing back Yanic Perreault or Jim Dowd.  

I wish Jim would come back :/

Gainey always said that the team needs a right handed center. They got a very good defencive one in Dowd and now they won't re-sign him? Again there wouldn't be a right handed center next season, so what is this all about? Dowd would be a good fit on the 4th line alongside with Bégin and Ward.

We traded a late draft-pick for him too.

What a deal!

Instead of having to wait 4 years for a player that had little chance in the NHL, we got an awesome right-handed center for our checking lines.

Don't forget, we need a defensive center now that Juneau is gone.

Originally posted by Tony

Saw this on TheFourthPeriod (the source of the article is from the Montreal Gazette):

There are also a number of unrestricted free agents who have yet to sign. The Gazette claims Alex Kovalev has expressed reluctance to return to Montreal, while the Canadiens have shown no interest in bringing back Yanic Perreault or Jim Dowd.  

I wish Jim would come back :/

They should sign at least one guy back.

The thread started here, "Who would you make captain if Koivu left", demonstrates that the Montreal offense lacks leadership.

Dowd certainly has the hockey experience.

And Perreault deserves captaincy more than Rivet. Too bad he can't settle his differences with Julien. :nono:

The team might lack in player leadership but they counter that with their team spirit. Any big hit or big goal by any player easily motivates the team. They don't depend on Saku when the team is in a hole but they depend on themselves as a team to work together and come back in the game.

I don't know about this one.

Koivu is our first line center, no doubt about it.

Ribeiro scored more points than any other player so his role as the second line center is rock-solid.

We aquired Bonk and signed him so he could replace Juneau and boost the third line.

Begin can play center. So can Dowd and Perreault. Alltough Perreault isn't a fourthliner

But the fourthline center-spot can also be used as a rookie-pool. A spot where to develop young centers.

But in the end I also want Dowd back.

Originally posted by ch_nl

I don't know about this one.

Koivu is our first line center, no doubt about it.

Ribeiro scored more points than any other player so his role as the second line center is rock-solid.

We aquired Bonk and signed him so he could replace Juneau and boost the third line.

Begin can play center. So can Dowd and Perreault. Alltough Perreault isn't a fourthliner  

But the fourthline center-spot can also be used as a rookie-pool. A spot where to develop young centers.

But in the end I also want Dowd back.

I think if we got Dowd back he'd probably play 3rd line RW, but take the faceoffs. I do think it's a good idea having a guy to take those crucial draws. I'm not sure how many wins Perreault's assured us with his good faceoffs at crucial times, and Dowd is just as good.

And if he doesn't come back, it's no big loss. Just another spot for a guy like Hossa or perezhogin or so.

Originally posted by simonus

it might be a little much to say that dowd is as good a faceoff man as perreault...

Not as good perhaps, but certainly just as useful. He would be the only right-handed center in montreal, remember that.

Sorry for the double post... but, i saw something pretty interesting today when i was in line for my Metallica Tickets...

Theres a big poster at the Bell Centre of Alexei Kovalev and Jim Dowd.... pretty interesting considering neither has been resigned yet.... :P... i took it as a "sign" tho... lol... good news ahead maybe?

I doubt the Habs will sign Perreault. Unless Kovalev or any other UFA doesn't sign with the team. Then and only then, I could imagine the team signing Yanic to play on the first line like he did during the season where he had a good run.