Gauthier to Phoenix

TheAussiePosse

There was always talk about the Habs getting Gauthier.

And now Phoenix trades Langkow to Calgary for Saprykin and Gauthier, and signs Nedved.

Not only are they a scary team now, but they have Gauthier too :(

Maybe Morris had something else to do with the aqcuisition of Gauthier (partners from the Olde Calgarye Dayes)?

Doan-Comrie-Hull

Nagy-Nedved-Saprykin

Chimera-Ricci-Keefe

Nash-Brown-Devereaux

Morris-Gauthier

O'Donnell-Mara

Ference-Hulse

Yikes

You missed a couple key cogs from last season, well, at least before they got hurt - Mike Johnson and David Tanabe. So their lines I think look more like this:

Doan-Comrie-Hull

Nagy-Nedved-Johnson

Chimera-Ricci-Devereaux

Savage-Taffe/Sjostrom-Rupp

Morris-Gauthier

O'Donnell-Hulse

Tanabe-Mara

(I may be off position wise-LD or RD)

Their lines/d-pairings are quite good, but goaltending appears to be a problem once more, with Boucher and Johnson, a pair of underachievers (aside from Boucher's shutout streak.)

Trade wise, a good move for both teams, Calgary now has a better #1 centre than Reinprecht to play alongside Iginla and either Gelinas/Simon (the two split time on the top line last season.) Calgary showed in their postseason run that they could make do without Gauthier, now Commodore has a permanent spot, or Phaneuf can come in. Saprykin was often in the doghouse much to the chagrin of my fantasy team, so he was expendable, now Kobasew may have a spot.

As for Phoenix, look at it this way: They got Nedved, Gauthier, and Saprykin for Langkow. 'Nuff said right there.

I think both teams get what they need in this trade. With Conroy gone, Calgary needed a new #1 centre... and I think that Langkow and Iginla will make a good combo.

As for Nedved signing with Phoenix, wow... they gonna have a mighty team, well... thats only if there is a season :P

I don't know if I think Gauthier is an upgrade from Ossi Väänänen.

But they have certantly upgraded their centers. Comrie last season and now Nedved, still I don't see them as contenders.