Perreault?

gohabsgo

Since Perreault probably will not be playing in Montreal next season, who do you think will pick him up? There are several teams in the league who need a good faceoff man, but that's about all he has left it seems. His shot is still deadly but he has no speed and that will play a factor in any contract negotiations he has with other teams. It's hard to say who would pick him up, but a team Ottawa may need him for his faceoff abilities. Still, I see him going to a younger team like Minnesota or Nashville.

Perreault has some value (face-off) but if I was a young team looking for veteran leadership I would not get Perreault. Perreault may go to one of those team that has no direction like St-Louis.

How about Perreault staying in Montreal?

In my dreams that's still possible. The reason why I think so is that Canadiens never traded him.

If Habs never intended to keep him they should have traded him while he still had some value to us. We are acctually talking about the best face-offer in the world. No other guy will win the puck to your team as often as he will.

He's also a solid scorer. You know that you get about 40 points per season, even if he scores in clutches.

No big salary needed but you might be aware that his +/- statistics isn't at Vladimir Kostantinovs level.

No, he's just an UFA. And as far as I know Perreault wish to ends his career in Montreal. Maybe he'll take a pay-cut and stay with the team. There's always injuries and Hossa, Dagenais and all the others may not just be ready for some second line action.

And who knows if Ribeiro and Ryder will continue the way they ended last season.

Keep Perreault!

Originally posted by ch_nl

How about Perreault staying in Montreal?

I agree about keeping him for depth purposes, but I wouldn't agree that he is a solid scorer. Not anymore anyway. The fact is he is not the scorer he once was, and this team's goal is to constantly improve. Reason's why he doesn't quite fit in:

- He's small, and doesn't really hit anyone

- He's slowing down. Doesn't have the speed it takes to keep up with his teammates

- He's not getting any younger

Basically, Gainey has tried to make this team younger, bigger and more competitive at the same time. The upcoming season will be the toughest challenge for him so far, because expectations are higher now since the early to mid 90's.

That's not to say that Perreault is washed up. I just think that Montreal is not the right place for him to be playing at this point in his career. He can still help out on another team.

but that's about all he has left it seems.

Perreault scored 16 goals last year and a deuce in the post-season, and you say that's all he has left? That's more than Jan Bulis, so I guess Bulis has nothing left, according to your logic.

He's small, and doesn't really hit anyone

He's not a grinder. He's never been, that's not his job.

He's slowing down. Doesn't have the speed it takes to keep up with his teammates

He's always slow. Most of his play involves his quick wrist shot from anywhere in their opponents zone.

Originally posted by ch_nl

No, he's just an UFA. And as far as I know Perreault wish to ends his career in Montreal. Maybe he'll take a pay-cut and stay with the team.

Perreault is 33 years old, so he has some more years left to play in the NHL. I can't see him ending his career in Montréal ... Quintal said the same and he was traded to LA. I guess Perreault will sign elsewhere or he'll perhaps move to Europe, who knows?

[Edited on 30-8-04 by habsfannr1]

I like Yanic, but where would he play? Koivu, Ribeiro, Bonk will be centering the top 3 lines. Unless he's whilling to center the fourth line, I can't see him play for the Habs. Personnaly, I feel he's too soft to play the wing and at 33, his performances won't be improving. I'd rather see a young gun get the chance, or a cheaper young veteran who can stir things up, ala Bégin.

Yeah, and I feel sorry for Quintal. I would rather have seen Rivet left.

Anyways, there's a lot of players who don't want to play in Montreal because of the pressure. But Perreault wants. And that's one of the reasons why I like him. And I think he's so cool to watch.

Originally posted by RibeiroPerreault scored 16 goals last year and a deuce in the post-season, and you say that's all he has left? That's more than Jan Bulis, so I guess Bulis has nothing left, according to your logic.

I guess you can't understand my logic then. Points don't mean everything. Bulis is not paid as a scorer and never will be... but he's a damn good defenisve player that will only get better, especially playing along side Bonk. Yanic used to be a sniper so to speak but he is no longer the same threat he used to be.

He's not a grinder. He's never been, that's not his job.

But that would be his role if he was re-signed. Face it, there is no way in hell he's going to play on the top two lines in Montreal unless there are injuries on the team. This team is getting deeper every year.

He's always slow. Most of his play involves his quick wrist shot from anywhere in their opponents zone.

But that's not good enough, and he's not as quick as he used to be. Quite simply there are younger players that can put up similar numbers for a fraction of what is costs to keep Perreault. Gainey wants a younger team with more energy, plain and simple. I know Yanic has always been slow, but jeeez... I never said he was a bad player and now you are getting defensive. What I did say was that he will not fit on this team. I also said that he can help out a different team by playing a different role.

I feel he's too soft to play the wing

He proved you wrong when he scored 2 goals the night he played LW (Heritage Classic) on 1st line.

I'd rather see a young gun get the chance

There's a problem with that popular mantality. The Habs have enough young guns playing (Ryder, Hossa, Komisarek, Ribeiro, Dagenais), anymore like a lot of you want, then you might as well be watching the AHL.

cheaper young veteran who can stir things up, ala Bégin

Begin's offensive skills have nothing on Perreault.

But that's not good enough

16 clutch goals isn't good enough? Our 2nd best Powerplay player?

Originally posted by JL

I like Yanic, but where would he play? Koivu, Ribeiro, Bonk will be centering the top 3 lines. Unless he's whilling to center the fourth line, I can't see him play for the Habs. Personnaly, I feel he's too soft to play the wing and at 33, his performances won't be improving. I'd rather see a young gun get the chance, or a cheaper young veteran who can stir things up, ala Bégin.

Exactly :/)

Originally posted by Ribeiro16 clutch goals isn't good enough? Our 2nd best Powerplay player?

All 16 goals were clutch? :lol:

I will repeat myself one last time, so that maybe Ribeiro will understand:

Ahem.. Yanic Perreault is a good hockey player. As a matter of fact, I think he would be a good asset for a few teams in this league. Unfortunately, there is probably no room for him in Montreal.

Is that better?

I think the reason why we kept him instead of trading him b4 the playoffs, is incase of injury during the playoffs, or something of that nature.

With the aquisition of Bonk, (I believe i've said this in a simular topic)... it just about nulified any chance of Perrault making a return to Montreal.

Montreal was looking for that Defence centre with a scoring touch, Bonk bring that possibility to the team.

Sure Perrault would b great to keep on the team, but, there is simply no more room for him. I know that Gainey and Julien want Mike Rebiero to continue playing on the 2nd line, (Full NHL experience).. thus developing him even furthur... (he already showed he can put up 60+ points in a season.... alwayz room for improvement).

Playing Perrault on the 4th line would be silly. I say this only because, Perrault excells with more ice time. Sure he will pop in a goal here and there even with limited time, but, he is a player that i find gets better throughout a game, and, being on the 4th line wont help that.

Given the chance, and higher amount of playing time on another team, I think Perrault can seriously do some damage point wise. I'm thinking he'll end up up north...

Calgary

Nashville

Minesota

St. Louis

Anehiem

Originally posted by Ribeiro
I feel he's too soft to play the wing

He proved you wrong when he scored 2 goals the night he played LW (Heritage Classic) on 1st line.

I'd rather see a young gun get the chance

There's a problem with that popular mantality. The Habs have enough young guns playing (Ryder, Hossa, Komisarek, Ribeiro, Dagenais), anymore like a lot of you want, then you might as well be watching the AHL.

cheaper young veteran who can stir things up, ala Bégin

Begin's offensive skills have nothing on Perreault.

But that's not good enough

16 clutch goals isn't good enough? Our 2nd best Powerplay player?

You are leaving some very important quotes from my text there... ;)

I like Yanic, but where would he play? Koivu, Ribeiro, Bonk will be centering the top 3 lines. Unless he's whilling to center the fourth line, I can't see him play for the Habs.

Even if he played on the fourth line, what kind of offensive output would he have?

The fact that Yanic had a couple of good games on the wing doesn't make him any tougher. I'd much rather see a young gun get the chance (on the fourth line), or a cheaper young veteran who can stir things up. You know, bump and grind? We NEED that desperately...

As far as Bégin is concerned, I know that he doesn't have Perreault's offensive input. But he brings energy and he's a momentum changer, attributes which a team also needs in order to be successful.

Perreault cannot be on the fourth line because 4thline players need to be big strong grinding type of players. A finesse player in theory should only play on the first 2 lines (maybe 3rd).

Perreault is soft, not a leader

Soft has been mentioned multiple times already in this thread - no need to mention it again making the thread repetitive.

As for him not being a leader - you know this because you've been in the locker room with him?

Perreault cannot be on the fourth line because 4thline players need to be big strong grinding type of players. A finesse player in theory should only play on the first 2 lines (maybe 3rd).

Not really. Most strong and effective grinders are on 3rd. Really good strong/defensive forwards like Peca make 1st.

Ideally :

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev

Perreault - Ribeiro - Ryder

Bulis - Bonk - Begin

Hossa - Sundstrom - Ward <----screwed up

Give Chris Higgins a shot on 4th line

Yes, let's just get rid of all the veterans and go young. Screw Rivet, Koivu, Brisebois, Markov, Kovalev, Zednik, Bonk and Theodore. Let's just turn this into an AHL team. That'll work out perfectly.

Originally posted by Ribeiro

Not really. Most strong and effective grinders are on 3rd. Really good strong/defensive forwards like Peca make 1st.

Offensive minded players with little to offer defensively (Perrault) do not belong on the 3rd/4th lines.

Hossa - Sundstrom - Ward <----screwed up

Ward is a fine 4th liner, he really started coming into his own in that role late last seaon.

Yes, let's just get rid of all the veterans and go young. Screw Rivet, Koivu, Brisebois, Markov, Kovalev, Zednik, Bonk and Theodore. Let's just turn this into an AHL team. That'll work out perfectly.

That is a silly thing to say. It is the fact that we already have so many veterans that we don't need to keep Yanic just for his veteran presence. The starting lineup you listed had no rookies on it, with every player having played at least part of an NHL season. The least experienced player was Hossa, who has been in the league a number of times. Sure, they are a young team, but by now means are they some AHL team if they bring up guys like Higgins. Haven't you ever heard of rebuilding? That's what we are doing, building a team. The best way to do that is developing talent to play at the NHL level, not leaving guys in the AHL so they can have overpaid veterans losing games in the NHL.

There is no ideal lines at this point since we do not know a lot but here is one idea:

Bulis - Koivu - Kovalev

Zednik - Ribeiro - Ryder

Dowd- Bonk - Begin

???? - Sundstrom - Ward

I think of all the potential young players that could come up and there style and i get bogged down.

To properly develop an offensive talent they need to play on the first 2 lines. The prospects that are more of a defensive or grinder type can be insert in the 3rd and 4th line.

I kind of like Bulis on the first line. I think Z can get a lot of goals with Robeiro. Robeiro is purely a set-up guy and Z is a pure scorer with a nice release. Who knows? Maybe not.

you really have to include hossa in your lineup, he's gonna spend at least the beginning of the season with the habs. I see no reason to separate koivu and zednik. I don't think dowd is coming back, I dont think sundstrom is gonna play center.

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev

? - Ribero - Ryder

Bulis - Bonk - Hossa/Sundstrom

Sundstrom/Hossa - Begin - Ward

That empty spot on the second line could end up belonging to Hossa and if it doesnt, then its about time to abort the experiment. That hossa moving up or leaving opens up your roster space for higgins (you could easily alternate him and begin in the 4th line center and wing positions, especially for faceoffs), plekanec, or try AP or Kostitsyn in that 2 spot.

As long as that 2 spot is open we've definitely have a huge hole on the team. perhaps you put bulis in there to stopgap and add some defense, but i personally think he was made for the bonk line. Perreault could fill some time in on the wing, alternateing to center for important draws (which seemed to work only so well last season), but one must wonder about his defense, speed, age, and salary. Frankly, at his price there are other price/performance choices to make, and throwing a rookie at one of the spots would not be the dumbest thing.

Originally posted by simonus

That hossa moving up or leaving opens up your roster space for higgins (you could easily alternate him and begin in the 4th line center and wing positions, especially for faceoffs), plekanec, or try AP or Kostitsyn in that 2 spot.

If we won't resign Dowd, who would be a perfect fit on the 4th alongside Bégin and Ward, they should really put Plekanec in there. He is a very good defencive center who can also chip in with some goals.

On the 2nd I would also like to see Higgins if Hossa will dissapoint.

That would be quite a good team I suppose:

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev

Higgins/Hossa - Ribeiro - Ryder

Bulis - Bonk - Sundström

Bégin - Dowd/Plekanec - Ward

Souray - Komisarek

Markov - Rivet

Hainsey - Brisebois

Bouillon

[Edited on 1-9-04 by habsfannr1]

Originally posted by habsfannr1

Originally posted by simonus

That hossa moving up or leaving opens up your roster space for higgins (you could easily alternate him and begin in the 4th line center and wing positions, especially for faceoffs), plekanec, or try AP or Kostitsyn in that 2 spot.

If we won't resign Dowd, who would be a perfect fit on the 4th alongside Bégin and Ward, they should really put Plekanec in there. He is a very good defencive center who can also chip in with some goals.

On the 2nd I would also like to see Higgins if Hossa will dissapoint.

That would be quite a good team I suppose:

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev

Higgins/Hossa - Ribeiro - Ryder

Bulis - Bonk - Sundström

Bégin - Dowd/Plekanec - Ward

Souray - Komisarek

Markov - Rivet

Hainsey - Brisebois

Bouillon

[Edited on 1-9-04 by habsfannr1]

Let's not forget that we don't have the "insert tough guy here" spot filled quite yet... Langdon will most likely be replaced by another player with the same "skills"...:devil:

I still don't understand why some people overrate Perreault to the extent they do...he has too many deficiencies in his game.

Frankly, since I don't think we'll play this year and I think our prospects will continue to develop we'll see a pretty young team when the league resumes...

Kostistsyn-Koivu-Kovalev

Zednik-Ribeiro-Ryder

Bulis-Bonk-Perezhogin/Sundstrom

Higgins-Plekanec/Begin-Ward/Sundstrom

I know it's not incredibly likely that we'll have 4 rookies in the line-up but they are 4 VERY talented rookies and I believe that the new salary cap will have teams scrambling to lower salaries which may mean more rookies in line-ups then normal.

I do believe that Higgins and Kostsitsyn are better then most of the veterans that are available anyways. In a 4th line role Plekanec is more then capable and Perezhogin has shown that he's ready also. I think teams will need to evaluate on how they spend money and having some real good young talent with a few higher paid superstars(a la Kovalev, Theodore, Koivu) is the best way to run a team when payroll is a consideration.