A look at the draftees

beckham

Just a few games into the season, but an early look at how the summer's draft acquisitions are doing so far -

1 Kyle Chipchura - Listed at 6-3, 205 pounds in rookie camp, which is up some from his listed draft size. Has scored 4 goals, 6 assists, for 10 points on a team that has only scored 19 goals this season. So, he has been in on over half his teams scoring. Point per game pace is 1.43, which would give him 103 points in a full WHL season. Nearly twice the rate he was scoring at last season. More productive than "offensive" CHL forwards such as Ladd, Picard, Radulov, Wolski, Bolland etc. Only Schremp who cherry picks on a high scoring OHL team has more points.

2 Alexei Emelin - Was very solid playing for the Russian U20 team at the Four Nations Tournament by all accounts and looks like a good bet to be part of their WJC team. Has seen some RSL action, but is playing mainly in the High League. With all of the NHL players in the RSL league this season, playing time is harder to come by for young players trying to break in. It looks like Emelin will be able to secure a full time role through injury or attrition before the year is done.

3 Greg Stewart - Listed at 6-3, 195, in the rookie camp, also up a tad from his draft listing. Showed good raw skills there to go with his size and a fiesty diposition. So far has 3 goals, 1 assist, in 8 games. Point per game average is .5, nearly triple his rate of last season.

[Edited on 2004-12-29 by puck7x]

Talking to myself here.:)

Chipchura and Stewart have come back to earth. Neither projects as a scorer. Both are playing for offensively challenged teams though. Have to give them a little grace for that.

Not much scoring excitement from the summer's draft. The only legitimate prospects are Chipchura, Emelin, Wyman, and perhaps Stewart, but none figures to score a lot this season.

Fourth round pick J.T. Wyman played his first game last night for Dartmouth. An exhibition match. He is listed at 6-2, 204 pounds on the team site. Wyman was the third line RW behind a pair of fellow freshmen, David Jones and Nick Johnson. He won't score many points unless he can pass one or both of them on the depth chart. Jones and Johnson both have a couple seasons of Canadian Junior Tier II experience, so they have a big advantage on Wyman.

Mikhail Grabovski has been a mild surprise in the RSL. 11 points in 18 games, he is scoring at a better rate than Perezhogin and is a bit younger and a bit bigger, to boot. Still, they are both pretty small by NHL standards, and would really have to put up some impressive numbers to be legitimate prospects.

I'm baffled that they didn't draft Wes O'Neill who is off to a point a game start in the CCHA as an 18 year old. There is no rhyme or reason to the team's drafting and they seldom end up with the best player available with any of their picks.

Wyman and Gleed in action now. No points. Dartmouth was beaten by lowly Quinnipiac. Cornell won handily, but I don't think Gleed was in on the feast.

Chipchura is just hanging on to a point per game pace. That looks like it will probably be his limit this year. All of the other highly drafted juniors have pretty much blown by him stats wise now.

It doesn't look like there will be a lot to write about in terms of scoring stats for this year's picks.

Originally posted by beckham

Wyman and Gleed in action now. No points. Dartmouth was beaten by lowly Quinnipiac. Cornell won handily, but I don't think Gleed was in on the feast.

Chipchura is just hanging on to a point per game pace. That looks like it will probably be his limit this year. All of the other highly drafted juniors have pretty much blown by him stats wise now.

It doesn't look like there will be a lot to write about in terms of scoring stats for this year's picks.

Luckily Chipchura has alot more to his game then just scoring points, if that was the case then I'd start worrying. Kyle should be a fine player in the NHL one day.

Chipchura has really hit the skids. His offence has dried up and his team is losing way more than they should. This was the key to see if Chipchura had the offensive skill to be more than a third or fourth liner. Doesn't look like it. Too bad.:(

Chipchura has really hit the skids. His offence has dried up and his team is losing way more than they should. This was the key to see if Chipchura had the offensive skill to be more than a third or fourth liner. Doesn't look like it. Too bad.:(

Your really jumping to conclusions too early. You've got to take into consideration his teams play, and his teams scoring. And that the WHL is not really a high scoring league.

Gleed picked up 3 pts in the first game of the season, he had only 6 pts all of last season and only 7 career pts. But it was against weak competition. This weekend Cornell will play Havard which should be a good game. It's webcast for 5 bucks.

I'm baffled that they didn't draft Wes O'Neill who is off to a point a game start in the CCHA as an 18 year old. There is no rhyme or reason to the team's drafting and they seldom end up with the best player available with any of their picks.

O'Neill scored 2 more goals tonight, he leads Notre Dame with 8 points and they have only scored 15 goals as a team. Incredible. The guy is a 6-4, 230 pound defenseman. Terrible oversight by the Habs scouting staff. He will likely be better than any of the three players Montreal took while he was still on the board.

:(

O'Neill scored 2 more goals tonight, he leads Notre Dame with 8 points and they have only scored 15 goals as a team. Incredible. The guy is a 6-4, 230 pound defenseman. Terrible oversight by the Habs scouting staff. He will likely be better than any of the three players Montreal took while he was still on the board.

I'm sorry, but you really give stats way too much value when evaluating players. I have faith in the Habs scouting department, I am sure they had a good reason for not picking O'Neill , as did the 28 other teams who did not pick him.

O'Neill could have some sort of attitude problems that the public is not aware of, or maybe he has a lazy work ethic? Who knows?

Oh the other hand, yeah he could end up being a steal. But like I said, I have faith in the habs scouting.

Maybe he won't sign and the Habs can sign him. This has nothing to do with his numbers, I'd just like to have a Notre Damer on the team.

And, beckham, do you always jump to conclusions like this? If Gretzky were in a five game slump, you'd have predicted that he would have flopped in the NHL. Of course, I'm not saying Chipchura is Gretzky or anything, but give the guy a break.

[Edited on 11-6-04 by Fanpuck33]

Originally posted by puck7x

I'm sorry, but you really give stats way too much value when evaluating players. I have faith in the Habs scouting department, I am sure they had a good reason for not picking O'Neill , as did the 28 other teams who did not pick him.

O'Neill could have some sort of attitude problems that the public is not aware of, or maybe he has a lazy work ethic? Who knows?

Oh the other hand, yeah he could end up being a steal. But like I said, I have faith in the habs scouting.

O'Neill had a pretty decent first year in the NCAA as a 17 year old. He was fairly highly rated by the CSS, 23rd among N.A. prospects, I think. Played for the U18 team.

It isn't just stats. What would make the Habs think that Wyman, who was playing high school hockey and rated 80 something by CSS would be a better prospect? I don't think the Habs scouting staff is that great at all. Right now, the only two young players who are standing out are Yann Danis (a free agent), and Corey Locke (4th round draft pick). Players like Dustin Brown, Zach Parise, Ryan Kesler taken after Kostitsyn in 2003 look a lot better than him in every aspect in the AHL. They all have about 10 points already and are good two way players.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

Maybe he won't sign and the Habs can sign him.  This has nothing to do with his numbers, I'd just like to have a Notre Damer on the team.

And, beckham, do you always jump to conclusions like this?  If Gretzky were in a five game slump, you'd have predicted that he would have flopped in the NHL.  Of course, I'm not saying Chipchura is Gretzky or anything, but give the guy a break.

Chipchura just isn't showing any signs of being able to take charge. It is one thing to blame his team, but top players can carry a team. For a guy who was the top rated prospect in N.A. a year ago and a first round NHL draft pick, he hasn't demonstrated the leadership you would expect.

O'Neill had a pretty decent first year in the NCAA as a 17 year old. He was fairly highly rated by the CSS, 23rd among N.A. prospects, I think. Played for the U18 team.

It isn't just stats. What would make the Habs think that Wyman, who was playing high school hockey and rated 80 something by CSS would be a better prospect? I don't think the Habs scouting staff is that great at all. Right now, the only two young players who are standing out are Yann Danis (a free agent), and Corey Locke (4th round draft pick). Players like Dustin Brown, Zach Parise, Ryan Kesler taken after Kostitsyn in 2003 look a lot better than him in every aspect in the AHL. They all have about 10 points already and are good two way players.

You say it isnt just stats , but then you list 2 players (Locke/Danis) who have great stats over the past few years.

Brown/Parise/Kesler are 3 North American kids who are all 20+ years of age and have North American experience, Brown and Kesler played a large part of last season in the NHL. It is EXTREMELY unfair (and pointless) to compare Kostitsyn to them. Jarvis is bringing Kostitsyn along slowly and teaching him the defensive part of the game, Kostitsyn is only getting limited icetime. Nobody is going to put up great stats with the icetime Kostitsyn is getting. Just wait a few weeks, Kostitsyn will gradually play more and have better linemates, it happened to Perezhogin last year and it is happening to Kostitsyn this year.

You can talk all you want about how Kesler/Brown/Parise look alot better then Kostitsyn, but it means nothing to me, someone who has seen all 4 of them play, and has watched Kostitsyn closely this past summer every day during the development camp and prospect tournament. He is the real deal.

16-25-1, 5.55 gaa = Patrick Roy's stats in his last year in the QMJHL

Just one of the many examples of players who had STATISTICALLY average junior careers but went onto have great NHL careers.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

Maybe he won't sign and the Habs can sign him.  This has nothing to do with his numbers, I'd just like to have a Notre Damer on the team.

And, beckham, do you always jump to conclusions like this?  If Gretzky were in a five game slump, you'd have predicted that he would have flopped in the NHL.  Of course, I'm not saying Chipchura is Gretzky or anything, but give the guy a break.

Chipchura just isn't showing any signs of being able to take charge. It is one thing to blame his team, but top players can carry a team. For a guy who was the top rated prospect in N.A. a year ago and a first round NHL draft pick, he hasn't demonstrated the leadership you would expect.

Chipchura's team is 16th out of 20 teams in the WHL for scoring. Leadership is not just about points. Again your assuming alot, you have no idea what goes on behind closed doors on this team. Chipchura showed a great deal of leadership over the summer at development camp.

Well the draft hype about Chipchura was that he was a "winner", if not necessarily a big scorer. But he is doing neither at this point. Something is definitely wrong in P.A., they were one of the favored teams in the WHL this year.

Well the draft hype about Chipchura was that he was a "winner", if not necessarily a big scorer. But he is doing neither at this point. Something is definitely wrong in P.A., they were one of the favored teams in the WHL this year.

Yeah something is wrong in P.A for sure, but the team has 20+ players and a coaching staff, I doubt Chipchura is the root of their problems.

Originally posted by puck7x

Well 29 NHL teams passed on O'Neill, so it's not just the Habs. I've seen Wes play a handful of times and I was very surprised to see him fall so much, but what's done is done. You can't win em all, and it's way way too early to say who made the better choice. Just cause one player does well a few months after being drafted means little. Lets see how he does 3, 4, and 5 years from now.

As for Wyman, from what I understand they took a shot on him cause one of the scouts had coached him and spoke very highly of him. Have you seen him play? I've only seen him once, and it wasn't a good or bad game for him. Let's wait a few years to see what he does.