Habs Seventh Defenceman

dlbalr

Time to spark a little discussion here, maybe this oughta do the trick.

We all know who the top 6 d-men will be when the season resumes: Markov, Souray, Brisebois, Rivet, Komisarek, Bouillon. But who is to be the 7th? Many, myself included originally thought Hainsey, but he is really struggling with the Bulldogs this season.

So, as of right now, who do you fell the 7th d-man should be? The above are the options, and I'll put them here as well:

Ron Hainsey

Dan Focht (would have to sign with the Habs still)

Jean-Phillipe Cote

Other (other Hamilton d-man*, free agent signing, specify)

*Hamilton D Trevor Daley and Dan Jancevski are Dallas property, Phillipe Plante is under an AHL-only deal.

I really only see a couple of real options here, I know my opinion, Focht, what are everyone else's?

[Edited on 2004-12-29 by puck7x]

I selected "other" I still want to acquire some more depth on D (through UFA or trade) and bump Bouillon to #7. Our D can and should be improved.

But... if I had to choose from your list... Its Cote, I like what I've seen from him the past 2 years... He's big, tough, and reliable. Anyways he'd just be a #7 for us... He couldnt do much damage.

I've lost all hope for Hainsey, he's playing horrible... He's getting worse every year it seems. I'm indifferent about Focht.

Good question.

Right now we don't need a seventh defenceman. We don't need anyone as long as there's no play.

But if there will be a season I think Montreal will have to make a move. Hainsey is lost. Trade him. Boullion should be our seventh, even if he has been playing well in Sweden.

I think Montreal should try getting a stay-at-home-guy for the sixth spot.

I'd have to say "Other".

I feel we should pick someone up in a trade or Free agent market. I would have to agree with bumping Boullion down to 7th, seeing that we can pick up a guy capable of being a regular.

I would want a younger(yet experienced) mobile defenceman.

Originally posted by dlbalr

We all know who the top 6 d-men will be when the season resumes: Markov, Souray, Brisebois, Rivet, Komisarek, Bouillon.  But who is to be the 7th?  

It isn't the subject of this thread... but look at that list of D men again.

If there had been a season, Komisarek still wouldn't have been ready to play (ditto Koivu btw... as usual, but that's another issue for another thread)

As it stands now, we know Breezer had to stop playing in Europe due to his always chronic back pain.. it would have happened here as well had we had a season.

With Komi & Breezer out, and no worthy #7... we would have been in a world of hurt.

Even Markov is currently out with a serious injury suffered in Russia, could have happened here too... he's had his share of injuries in his very young career.

Rivet & Souray are always a wrist injury waiting to happen.

That leaves Bouillon as the only durable guy we have in there. Ouch.

That makes us losing Beauchemin needlessly on waivers hurt a little more than some may have thought... not to mention the Dogs could use him right now.

Add Koivu out and a potential Ryder holdout, this lockout certainly has a sense of good timing for the Habs.

Not to mention 1 contract year of ugly contracts like Breezer, Rivet, Dykhuis, will slip by without us having to pay them.

And our crop of youngsters get an extra year to mature, and get closer to NHL ready.

Pretty good timing indeed.

1. I will not write Hainsey off yet...he may not become a top 4 d-man like many originally hoped but I still think he can become a servicable final pairing guy. Having said that, he needs minutes and making him a 7th guy will definitely mean he's essentially done.

2. Boullion is a solid player to have but IMO he is really a final pairing guy at best and a 7th guy with a good D.

I'd vote other and hope we either deal for a guy or sign another guy. This team needs a big physical defensive d-man...

I'm not going to worry about injuries to that extent. Guys will play through some if necessary and some of the injuries these guys are "suffering" in europe may not be that bad...would you play through injury over there when the league here may resume and the big $$$ start rolling in again? Not only that but I just don't see us losing 5 of our starting 6 d-men to injury all at once...besides, maybe that would mean we finish last for a season and draft Crosby. ;)

Not to mention 1 contract year of ugly contracts like Breezer, Rivet, Dykhuis, will slip by without us having to pay them.  

And our crop of youngsters get an extra year to mature, and get closer to NHL ready.

I completely forgot about Dykhuis as a potential 7th d-man, although I can't see anyone voting for him anyways, if you want to though, vote other and then specify.

As for contracts, it is to my understanding based on what I've read that, in the event of the season being cancelled, contracts will roll over. If, however, the season is abbreviated, contracts will be pro-rated, which would save the team some money.

• 3 weeks later...