Doug Harvey to the Rangers for... NOTHING

Colin

Doug Harvey was not a leader. What did the Rangers ever win with him? That proves that we won all those Cups in spite of him not because of him. It's addition by subtraction! Great move Selke!!! :lol:

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Harvey got moved because he was trying to help form

a players union........

Yep, sad day, we did not win in spite of him, he was the best defenceman to ever wear the tri-colour.

If you never saw him play you wouldn't know. He was better than Orr at controlling the speed of a game, and in my eyes the best ever. Orr was a better skater though, but was fragile while Harvey was made of steel. IMHO, and I watched them both as a youngster.

Orr is half Ontario myth, half fact. Over glorified by CBC hockey analysists. He was very good, but no Harvey.

Yep, sad day, we did not win in spite of him, he was the best defenceman to ever wear the tri-colour.

If you never saw him play you wouldn't know. He was better than Orr at controlling the speed of a game, and in my eyes the best ever. Orr was a better skater though, but was fragile while Harvey was made of steel. IMHO, and I watched them both as a youngster.

Orr is half Ontario myth, half fact. Over glorified by CBC hockey analysists. He was very good, but no Harvey.

I did not see Harvey playing. But what you say is in line with what I have read before.

While it's true that he was probably traded because he was involved with the union, it's fair to say that his best years were over. He played many more years, with a stint at St. Louis, but was never the shadow of what he used to be with the Habs. A sad story IMO.

JCPetit

Doug Harvey is our "Tim Horton". A great player who met with difficulty and turmoil. Horton died way too young and could never really reap the rewards of the Tim Hortons donut chain founded 10 years earlier. He died in a car crash.

Poor Harvey died in 1989 of cirrhosis of the liver after spending too much of his life drinking and for a while ended up homeless, sleeping in an abandoned railway car. When this became public knowledge he was offered a job with the Montreal Canadiens as a scout. Harvey's last Stanley Cup victory came in 1986.

Maybe the drinking and his poor choice to support a union led to his downfall and his trade from Montreal. It's a sad story for a player some consider the best D in the game. Arguably of course.

WTF we traded Dougie!?!??!?!

technically can't be a trade (we've passed trade deadline already)

must be a move similar to how the Rags got Avery back through waivers and their AHL affiliate. However I doubt Harvey would agree to report to their AHL team