Habs Pick Up Former Detroit Diamond in the Rough

umpalumpa55

:o

Comparing him to a Detroit late-round Euro pick!?

Yes one of the two late round draft picks that they found and are now glorified into gods for it. You know, with the media acting like it happens every season and uneducated fans believing their entire team were all late round finds it's a wonder they aren't just given the cup every season. :puke:

Back to the topic.....

The move was like Datsyuk pulls off all the time, but he is not Datsyuk.

Yes one of the two four late round draft picks that they found and are now glorified into gods for it. You know, with the media acting like it happens every season and uneducated fans believing their entire team were all late round finds it's a wonder they aren't just given the cup every season. :puke:

Back to the topic.....

Fixed. (plus making picks at the end of every round instead of getting to go the Penguins route). Maybe it's overhyped but it's still impressive.

Anyway, I don't have very high hopes for Johansson. I feel like he'll be another Lahti. He sounds to me like a Grabovski at best. ... But then again, he is a late-round Detroit pick out of Sweden...!!

Yes one of the two late round draft picks that they found and are now glorified into gods for it. You know, with the media acting like it happens every season and uneducated fans believing their entire team were all late round finds it's a wonder they aren't just given the cup every season. :puke:

Back to the topic.....

You can make a case that the media hype isn't justified, but the fact remains that they have pulled out some gems in the later rounds. Without having done the research I can't say for certain, but I'm fairly confident in saying that Wings are one of the better teams at finding NHL'ers in the late rounds. So it should be okay to be excited on that premise - they may not have had as much success as the Habs as you showed months ago, but they've had a lot more than others.

Most of those players' development happens once they come to Detroit/Grand Rapids. It's a phenomenonal program they have in Detroit for development... I think that side of the equation is the one that gets ignored. If they were great at seeing talent no one else does, then they would have taken Zetterberg with their first pick that year and not their 8th or 9th.

Their development program has also helped well traveled players like Dan Cleary, Mikael Samuelsson, and Brad Stuart play to their fullest potential. No offence, but those players generally sucked (or at the very least underachieved) with several clubs. It's called coaching, and a positive working environment.

Detroit doesn't have scouts that are insanely better than the rest of the NHL. They, quite frankly, have the best hockey school on the planet.

You can make a case that the media hype isn't justified, but the fact remains that they have pulled out some gems in the later rounds. Without having done the research I can't say for certain, but I'm fairly confident in saying that Wings are one of the better teams at finding NHL'ers in the late rounds. So it should be okay to be excited on that premise - they may not have had as much success as the Habs as you showed months ago, but they've had a lot more than others.

I did the research in another post.... it's less impressive than you think.

Most of those players' development happens once they come to Detroit/Grand Rapids. It's a phenomenonal program they have in Detroit for development... I think that side of the equation is the one that gets ignored. If they were great at seeing talent no one else does, then they would have taken Zetterberg with their first pick that year and not their 8th or 9th.

Their development program has also helped well traveled players like Dan Cleary, Mikael Samuelsson, and Brad Stuart play to their fullest potential. No offence, but those players generally sucked (or at the very least underachieved) with several clubs. It's called coaching, and a positive working environment.

Detroit doesn't have scouts that are insanely better than the rest of the NHL. They, quite frankly, have the best hockey school on the planet.

Cleary was a very high pick as was Stuart.

Cleary battled though substance abuse and has since joining Det come around a bit. He's still a disappointment considering what he was supposed to become.

Fixed. (plus making picks at the end of every round instead of getting to go the Penguins route). Maybe it's overhyped but it's still impressive.

Anyway, I don't have very high hopes for Johansson. I feel like he'll be another Lahti. He sounds to me like a Grabovski at best. ... But then again, he is a late-round Detroit pick out of Sweden...!!

nope.... 2 impact players

Cleary was a very high pick as was Stuart.

Cleary battled though substance abuse and has since joining Det come around a bit. He's still a disappointment considering what he was supposed to become.

I know they were both high picks, but they were high picks that didn't work out until they reached Detroit. Stuart had some success prior, and was a hot commodity at one point, but had 2 terrible years with Boston/Calgary and Los Angeles after plateauing with San Jose for a couple of years. Cleary never had substance abuse issues (find me one reference to substance abuse issues with him from a legitimate source)... this seems to be a common theme with Newfoundlanders in the NHL and it's a terrible stereotype. Ryder's bad season last year was attributed by many fans as problems with the bottle as well.

Cleary was a bust for a variety of reasons. He changed trainers during the NHL lockout, made Detroit on a tryout as a 4th liner and has since developed into a 20 goal scorer in Detroit's system... which is what you generally expect out of a 13th overall pick at forward.

People that don't succeed elsewhere find a way to succeed in Detroit. Johan Franzen was supposed to be a 3rd/4th line checking centre when he came over. Now he's got 22 goals in 29 playoff games in his career or something similar. These players consistently weren't nearly as good before they entered Detroit's hockey school. It's more about developing than drafting for them. People focus too much on the drafting of players while Detroit focuses more on their development.

• 2 weeks later...
According to the Gazoo, his contract is a one-year, two-way deal worth just over $1 mil.

They were incorrect with that statement. His contract is as follows:

1 year, base salary of $587,500 with bonuses of $287,500, totaling a cap hit of $875,000. A little cheaper than what we all thought, I was happy to see it.

They were incorrect with that statement. His contract is as follows:

1 year, base salary of $587,500 with bonuses of $287,500, totaling a cap hit of $875,000. A little cheaper than what we all thought, I was happy to see it.

Is it still a two-way contract?