Could Tavares be on our radar?

REV-G

Based on this disappointing past year, new ownership, Gainey making wholesale coaching changes and then announcing he would not be dealing with any of his UFA's until after the draft it seems like Bob has shifted into an aggresive change approach. So I was thinking about a few years ago when, like this year, there were also two top prospects and people were debating who would go #1. I believe the two were Jason Spezza and Ilya Kovalchuk. I am also pretty sure that Gainey put a package together to Atlanta in an attempt to get their first pick and take Kovalchuk. He wasn't interested in offering anything for Ottawa's pick, Spezza, but he was interested in Atlanta's. So I'm wondering why no one has suggested or talked about whether we could land Tavares.

There are some GM's, Brian Burke for one, who lets the whole world know that he would like to get Tavares. We all know that would never be Bob's approach. If he was interested in getting Tavares he would tell no one but would quietly go about trying to make that deal. We have more assets and more to offer than say, Toronto. And after Gainey's blast to Tampa's GM Lawson about leaking names regarding a trade, I don't think another GM would let it be known that Gainey was interested in trading for one of their picks or players.

I think Bob knows that his unsuccessful attempts at landing top UFA's over the past few years and the way his team played this year means that he needs to do somethings now to turn this ship around and start making significant improvements and heading in the right direction. There could probably be no bigger splash than landing Tavares. I wonder if that's who Bob could be targetting??

Even if Bob were foolish enough to mortgage the future of this team on one player he understands that player would have to be francophone at the very least. An average-sized anglo kid isn't exactly on the radar in MTL these days for a number of reasons.

Great idea...not going to happen.

What could we possibly have that they want, that they can't get in FA time? They'll have Tavares and probably sign Komisarek too, reshaping the core and the identity of the team around something other than DiPietro's groin and Bob Nystrom.

Unless we sign Komi to a long-term deal; send him and the Kosts and Plex to them for the pick, or some absurd thing like that.