So Close...

Fanpuck33_

NHLPA Offers Cap

Unfortunately, the offered cap was 52 million, and the owners rejected it.

I've been very pessimistic this entire lockout, but all of a sudden I have been getting my hopes up. First the owners call the Tuesday Conference to end the season, then the players call and asked for another day. Now we find out the union is willing to accept a cap. I know talks broke off this morning, but I think they'll be back together soon, working out the kinks in the level of the cap. Also, the owners made an offer that had no linkage and a 40 million dollar cap.

I think tomorrow at the press conference, they will be announcing that players should report to training camp immediately.

No, I am not drunk right now.

[Edited on 2-17-05 by Fanpuck33]

i think everybody knows that i am strongly against a cap, but considering that the union is facing almost certain disintigration if they bring in replacements, i support their decision to accept a cap. Hopefully the owners will split the difference and allow for a 46-48 mil cap.

It should be noted, with no revenue sharing I have entirely no idea how this will truly help teams in the short term (i guess they are still doing a rollback... very despeate...). A 46-48 cap would really only cut the salaries of teams that are making money. There are basically 6-8 losing significant money (although this will probably go up after lockout), generally with salaries around or below $30 mil. Most of these teams have simply untenable situations - empty arenas, no tv viewership, no endosements, no merchandising. Even the huge(!?!) 24% charity from the PA cant make a dead financial proposition work. It will take a while for they economy to restructure itself and these poor teams will have a hard time taking advantage of the talent getting released from high-salary teams.

Bright side - this cap should have immediate upside for the habs. As a high-midmarket team that makes money (approx 10mil per year according to Forbes) and one that has a loyaler-than-average fanbase to return after the lockout, the habs will see a real opening of their financial profile from the 24% and the salary cap imposed on basically every single team with a higher salary. Also, the habs probably didnt buy many dollars if they had any lockout foresight, so they can invest in some cheap greenbacks and really be able to bring in some cool-ass players.

I did a quick calc (with kovalev penned in at $7mil, probably too high...) and after 24% the habs are right below $40mil. At the very worst, we are below cap and can keep team, in a 46-48mil scenario, that is room for 1 awesome player or 2 damn good players.

I fear this post is, on the whole, too positive... but i wanted to be somewhat upbeat for once.

[Edited on 2/15/2005 by simonus]

Two Sides Nearing Agreement?

If you read this article, the main sticking point right now seems to be the 12 million dollar cap. Both sides agree that a luxury tax should be placed on teams near the cap, and the union has said it wants to work out a revenue sharing plan.

I think the two sides finally realized that not enough people care about the NHL to make cancelling the season worth it.

12 million apart from each other. Right now I think that they both should compromise from there. A 46 million cap and the leauge in on?

A whole season can't be spoiled just because of a 12 million dollar difference.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

How exactly does revenue sharing work?  If the league as a whole loses money, do profitable teams have to distribute all their profit so that every team loses the same amount?

Revenue sharing is (Usually) the sharing of revenues for each and every home game. Say, Edmonton plays New York. They would go 50/50. 60/40 for the home team on ticket sales. It's very effective in the NFL, as it keeps all teams at a fairly even level and increaes pressure on lousy owners to start getting fans in the gate.

That's what I mean, and a 50/50 split was proposed earlier. If the deal has that, and the cap, we have something nice.

PS, league said they would consider early 40's.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=115048

NHL has made it's final offer.

42.5 cap (44.7 with benefits included)

Really really risky by bettman. He's got the PA where he wants them, and he's going for blood. He doesnt just want to win, he wants to win big. I think its a stupid risk by Bettman, and I think the PA will decline the offer.

I hope I am wrong.

I don't think 42.5 million is going to do it for the players. It is almost 10 million below what their cap figure was at. To me, 45 or 46 million would have gotten an acceptance, i really hope the season isn't cancelled when they have come this close.

Anyone think that the final offer claim was false? If the PA comes back with a 45 million dollar hard cap, i can't believe that Bettman would reject it. Hopefully we will have the answer, good or bad, tomorrow.

Personally, I think Bettman knew full well he would never get cost linkage in the CBA. I think all along he wanted to use it to get the cap. He knew the union would never accept the linkage, but knew there was a possibility that they would accept a cap, if their hand was forced.

Notice that as soon as the union agreed to a cap, Bettman made an offer without linkage. The second the players gave a little, he gave a little. All along, however, I think he knew he'd never get linkage, so he decided to go for a cap with this CBA, and go for linkage at a later date.

"Notice that as soon as the union agreed to a cap, Bettman made an offer without linkage. The second the players gave a little, he gave a little. All along, however, I think he knew he'd never get linkage, so he decided to go for a cap with this CBA, and go for linkage at a later date."

I thought that the NHL made the offer of 40 million without linkage and that the players countered with 52 million?

Where are you guys getting the breaking news? Sounds like they are close here at the 11th hour, if the season is on I have a surprise for HabsWorld!

I'm following the breaking news at www.tsn.ca

I just don't believe that the two sides will let the season slip away now that they are within 6.5 million dollars on the cap.

A surprise for HW? Now they HAVE to come to an agreement, haha.

[Edited on 2-16-05 by Fanpuck33]

Ohh a surprise? cool...

The 2 sides HAVE to work something out. They only have 9.5 million (and other little details) seperating them. Be creative Bettman, try a hybrid system (first 2 years on NHLPA's cap , then the rest on yours?) , or maybe use a soft/hard combo from 42 to 49 (or lower) , or insert a salary floor?

If they cant get a deal done then they are hopeless.

Originally posted by Dutch_Habs_Fan

Damn i really hope this works out. Gonna watch it closely today! Allthough the stars will leave europe.

What surprise :D

Me too! But it's night here so I'll have to check in the morning, it should be decided one way or another in the coming hours

Hey, I notice you are in East Holland, are you near Arnhem? I go there sometimes, nice place I really like it.