Does anybody still miss Kovy's humble talents ?

RowGuy

I miss Kovy more than words can describe. Going to the game at Scotiabank Place on December 28th, it was so painful being 8 rows behind the glass during and seeing him dangling away in a senators jersey right in front of me. Our powerplay had much more structure to it when he wore the CH, and I am positive that we can all agree to this: Markov and him had a relationship that no habs and Markov currently have. I miss those cross ice one-timers. The guy showed up for the Habs when it mattered the most (playoffs), and even though he went through a hard time, he tried his hardest to bring the fans to their feet and bring #25 home to Montreal. I'm not so sure what people on this forum can possibly ask out of him beyond what he was. I think the lack of superstar presence in Montreal was what caused a majority to turn on him when he didn't produce. The man stated that he would play for the Canadiens until he was 50; and to make things better he said he would still like to sign back in Montreal once his two years is up in Ottawa. With that being said, I don't think he really gives two hoots about how he does in Ottawa, because the fans aren't passionate like the ones in Montreal were for him. It is highly doubtful that we will see him back in Montreal, but if he takes a serious pay cut and signs a one year deal with us to retire in Montreal...I am 110% positive that a majority of you on this board would be all open arms for AK27 one last time.

Oh gawd, that would be a horrible day.

Look, there's no doubt the guy had skill oozing out his pores. He was the most skilled Canadien since Lafleur and one of the top five skilled guys in hockey. You can make the argument that he's the best pure puckhandler in the game. But all that talent is wasted time and again because he doesn't show up 90% of the time. Just imagine what his career would have been like with effort.

I'm glad he loved Montreal, and there's no doubt he brought something the club needed. In the end, though, he's not the kind of guy you want to base a winning team around because he doesn't care enough. At least, IMHO.

As for those cross-ice passes that Markov used to give him, well I don't know if you've been watching Markov closely yet, but he's doing the same thing with the guys we have now. Personally, I don't think it was Kovalev who brought the Canadiens PP up, I think it was Markov. I'm more than pleased to see him fire cross-ice doozies to Cammi, Gionta, and the rest of this crew.

Actually, I wish Markov would get in better shape so he could play the full two minutes on the PP. I think we'd then have the best PP by a quite significant margin. Course, that would mean we'd need other defenders to step up more often during 5v5 to allow Markov to catch his breath, but I digress.

Kovalev? Hell no.

Look, there's no doubt the guy had skill oozing out his pores. He was the most skilled Canadien since Lafleur and one of the top five skilled guys in hockey. You can make the argument that he's the best pure puckhandler in the game. But all that talent is wasted time and again because he doesn't show up 90% of the time. Just imagine what his career would have been like with effort.

You're dreaming if you think Kovalev has the ability to consistently be a top scorer in the league. He has crazy puckhandling skills, most of them with little value in game situations, he has decent size, decent speed and he has an amazing shot. AK27 is just a better AK46.

His skills (being able to shoot top corner backhanded with one hand on the stick) are never going to translate into elite NHL success. People may as well complain that Gomez is never going to be worth 7.3 million dollars, it will do you just as much good.

Those that bash Kovy use his strengths as weaknesses.

He leads the team in scoring, "Well, he should have lead the LEAGUE in scoring but he wasn't trying!"

He has a point per game season, "Well has has the talent to get 150 points a season, so that's hardly an accomplishment!"

He steps up in key situations, "Well, he only shows up when he gets pissed off!"

He scores 4 goals and picks up an assist in a game, "YOU SEE!? He should be doing this every game! Curse lazy-ass Kovalev who only gets hat tricks every now and then!"

He's our MVP of the season, "Well, he should be our MVP every year but he never shows up."

He's MVP of the All-Star Game, "Well, he only tried in order to showcase himself."

He did his job on the ice, leading the team in scoring 3 seasons out of 4, and stepping up in the playoffs. He was a pretty complete player, even being one of our top PKers. He tried to help the younger players, tried to prevent Sergei from getting into trouble. By all accounts (even a recent one by Koivu), he was an amazing teammate and was respected in the dressing room. On the marketing side of things, he was the face of the franchise for four years and was a fan-favourite. They had a rally when he left the city! He was a walking Montreal commercial, constantly saying that he'd like to play here forever. He was one of the Habs that did the most charity work around the city.

"...........but did you see how many times he could bounce the puck on his stick? He has the talent to break Gretzky's records, I tell you! IF ONLY HE SHOWED UP MORE THAN 10% OF THE TIME!!!!!!!!"

The guy was never even lazy. He's actually one of the most consistent players we've had recently. He plays the exact same game every night, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It depends how the other team covers him. Did you see his 4 goals? None of them were end-to-end rushes or crazy individual efforts. His timing was just perfect that night and all of his shots found the corners. It isn't hard work that guides your shot into the top corner, it's concentration plus luck.

And speaking of hard work - there aren't many hockey players in the world that train harder than he does. (Brind'Amour and Chelios come to mind)

".......................But he deked through so many pylons in his workout DVD! He should be able to do that to PLAYERS! He has the skillzzzzzzz!!!!!!!! Stupid lazy piece of shit Kovalev only showing up 10 games a year when he his prowess has never failed against pylons!"

Wow, you must really like Kovalev. Isn't he the same guy was sent home by his GM and coach for being a lazy piece of Sh##.

If i'm not mistaken Ak46 has the same amount if not more goals then Kovalev and has missed at least 10 games this year.

I still can't beleive people still post and miss the guy. But hey, that's just me.

NO NO NO NO NO NO...GET OVER THIS GUY....his so over rated its so funny...the best thing kovy done for the habs was sign with ottawa for 5mil and hurts there cap...

NO NO NO NO NO NO...GET OVER THIS GUY....his so over rated its so funny...the best thing kovy done for the habs was sign with ottawa for 5mil and hurts there cap...

I dont know how high your head is in the clouds...but last time I checked Gomez has been a sucker trade to date. And if Gainey knew that Kovalev and Koivu were not going to be resigning in MTL, why not dish them for something at the trade deadline to yield at least SOMEONE half decent. Just piss poor GM'ing ....it doesnt matter who you put on the Canadiens. They always have leaks which develop to major flaws.

Edited by l<OV4L3V

I dont know how high your head is in the clouds...but last time I checked Gomez has been a sucker trade to date. And if Gainey knew that Kovalev and Koivu were not going to be resigning in MTL, why not dish them for something at the trade deadline to yield at least SOMEONE half decent. Just piss poor GM'ing ....it doesnt matter who you put on the Canadiens. They always have leaks which develop to major flaws.

this theard as nothing to do with gomez or gainey or koivu..as to do with the bum kovalev...if my heads in the clouds, your must be in outer space..iam not going to waste my time on this guy anymore..his a bum, cry baby, and not worth missing..becuse iam pretty sure ottawa would trad him for a bag of pucks right now... lmfao...

try cheering for the guys on the team now...not some wash up player who never had the heart to be great..

And this season he has played with Alfredsson and Spezza and STILL dont score more.

Apparently you are not aware that Alfie and Spezz have been injured

And Kovy hasn't really played with Spezz anyway