Mario Tremblay to replace Jacques Demers at RDS

rafikz

More importantly he puts an end to his coaching career!... I for one always liked Mario Tremblay.. Even (specially) when he did give me free beer tickets when I was 14

I do foresee Patrick Roy contemplating something now..... More to come Im sure

More importantly he puts an end to his coaching career!... I for one always liked Mario Tremblay.. Even (specially) when he did give me free beer tickets when I was 14

I do foresee Patrick Roy contemplating something now..... More to come Im sure

Mario Tremblay is in my top 5 list of people I hate on this planet since this game against Detroit. Off course, he is there along with Mother Nature, Don Cherry, Réjean Houle and Ronald Corey.

Mario Tremblay is in my top 5 list of people I hate on this planet since this game against Detroit. Off course, he is there along with Mother Nature, Don Cherry, Réjean Houle and Ronald Corey.

I'm not sure if Mother Nature qualifies as a real person but I'm certain that Don Cherry doesn't.

I hate neither Tremblay nor Houle. They obviously are the two masterminds behind the destruction of the Montreal Canadiens we all had to suffer over the 1990s, but first, I see Houle as the more profoundly damaging of the two; even though Tremblay was a huge cause in the catastrophic expulsion of Roy, it was Houle who accepted crap in return (*and* threw in Keane!) and then subsequently dismantled the pretty-good team that was in place even without Roy.

More fundamentally, the reason it's hard to HATE either of these guys is that they were so obviously and pathetically ill-equipped for the jobs they were given and foolishly accepted. It's like putting a 10-year-old at the wheel and then 'hating' him because he runs people over. I recall Tremblay's wife publicly saying that she was worried about his health while he was coach - that he was basically throwing up regularly from the anxiety, not sleeping, etc.. And I remember Houle expressing fear that he would be booed during the 100th anniversary celebrations; plus if you read Dryden's The Game you realize how profoundly painful to Houle's entire self-image and identity his failure as a GM must be. Ultimately, these guys are for me figures of frustration and pity. The real villain was that bungling arsehole Ronald Corey who panic-fired Serge Savard without bothering to line up an adequate replacement, and the skinflint Molsons who ran the team on the cheap and into the ground.

Having said all that: do I like Tremblay? Not really. Yes, he was part of the last dynasty, which means he deserves a bedrock level of respect. But he is also a Quebec separatist - there's one strike against him right there - and he's another one of these nativist nationalists who think the Habs are an affirmative action program for francophones, substituting analysis and insight for 'emotion' and a childish kind of nationalism, like Michel Bergeron. (Demers usually pulled for francophones, which is fine, because seldom attacked the team for not having enough of them, and also didn't need an Anglo whipping boy like so many of these type of nationalist commentators). We hardly need another one of these ignorant nationalist voices polluting the Montreal airwaves. However, he may surprise me; if he focuses on objective analysis then his smelly personal convictions become irrelevant and I have no beef with him having this gig. Surely years at Lemaire's knee have given him some actual insights into the bigger analytical picture. If he shares that, then hey, bring him on.

Hey he was giving me Beer! you can't dislike a dude like that! specially when your underage! he's an Idol! hehe

Back in the 90s Mario Tremblay was one of the top commentators/analyst out there. He had his experience as a player and carried his style into the profession. And now with tremendous experience as coach and asst coach, there's no doubt he'll be even better as an analyst.

Cucumber I don't know where and why you ascribe separatist values to Mario at this time. I never heard him talk about it. I don't say it's not true what you say, but it is defenetely not a factor. He's not coming to RDS to make propaganda, what are you talking about?!

This is a guy who, contrary to RDS ' other panelists ex-players and ex-coaches, has already extensive experience in communication. And we can't deny he has that thrive and color that makes watching those TV analysts a little less boring.

I heard the Devils paid him back his year left on his contract. That sounds like a pretty nice settlement.

Back in the 90s Mario Tremblay was one of the top commentators/analyst out there. He had his experience as a player and carried his style into the profession. And now with tremendous experience as coach and asst coach, there's no doubt he'll be even better as an analyst.

Cucumber I don't know where and why you ascribe separatist values to Mario at this time. I never heard him talk about it. I don't say it's not true what you say, but it is defenetely not a factor. He's not coming to RDS to make propaganda, what are you talking about?!

This is a guy who, contrary to RDS ' other panelists ex-players and ex-coaches, has already extensive experience in communication. And we can't deny he has that thrive and color that makes watching those TV analysts a little less boring.

I heard the Devils paid him back his year left on his contract. That sounds like a pretty nice settlement.

No, don't get the wrong idea - I was discussing my views on MT more generally. Whether he'd bring his nationalism to the table was/is an open question in my mind. If he doesn't, then his politics become irrelevant. It sounds as though he has been exemplary in this respect in the past, in which case I'll have no beef with his on-air performance as long as he supplies strong analysis.

shite and J Demers nearly kicked the bucket...

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/303751.html

it says he lost 43 pounds ... if you look at the vid...well joke aside... he must of been waying 300 lbs cause he sure has alot more weight to lose!

Tabarnak! good for him... even if he is a conservative lol