Brendan Gallagher

JoeLassister

Plays in the WHL, most defensive canadian league and put up these stats !!

(2009-10) Vancouver WHL (GP: 72 G: 41 A: 40 PTS: 81 PIM: 111 +9 IT 18:57)

(2010-11) Vancouver WHL (GP: 15 G: 15 A: 11 PTS: 26 PIM: 25 +13 IT 21:12)

Someone knows more about this guy ? He's only 5'8'' 170 lbs !!!

Edited by JoeLassister

Despite his size, he plays with a lot of gumption and is more than willing to drop the gloves. His downside is being another Corey Locke, a good AHL scorer that can't make the jump but so far, it seems as if he might have the intangibles to be better.

He definitely stood out a bit last year, haven't seen him this year yet. First I'll see of him will be the Russia Selects vs. WHL game.

He's not an elite skater, which is generally required of 5'8" guys, but he's definitely shifty and way tougher than most players.

My favourite hockey writer, Mathias Brunet (his only blunder ever is the Marian Hossa gloves shipped in Brossard leak) wrote an article about Gallagher this morning. Call me Mathias Brunet and Jacques Martin 2.0. !!

link in french.

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/lnh/2010/10/...ndan-gallagher/

Edited by JoeLassister

• 4 weeks later...

I noted on HW's Twitter page this morning that with a 2-goal effort last night, Gallagher now has 22 on the year which is good for 1st (tied) in the WHL. Taking the other 2 junior leagues into account (OHL/QMJHL), he's tied for 2nd in the country (there's a player in the Q with 24). Not surprisingly, he will be named to Team Canada's WJC camp on Monday (as will Leblanc/Bournival).

I noted on HW's Twitter page this morning that with a 2-goal effort last night, Gallagher now has 22 on the year which is good for 1st (tied) in the WHL. Taking the other 2 junior leagues into account (OHL/QMJHL), he's tied for 2nd in the country (there's a player in the Q with 24). Not surprisingly, he will be named to Team Canada's WJC camp on Monday (as will Leblanc/Bournival).

How many players get invited to the camp? My best guess is 40ish, I can't see them inviting more than that. But it would be awesomely amazing if we had 2, if not 3, players on the canadian world junior team.

And would the team allow Avtsin to play for Russia if he was asked? Or do you think they figure he's better off just playing with the pros?

You've got all the answers, Brian. I know you do.

How many players get invited to the camp? My best guess is 40ish, I can't see them inviting more than that. But it would be awesomely amazing if we had 2, if not 3, players on the canadian world junior team.

And would the team allow Avtsin to play for Russia if he was asked? Or do you think they figure he's better off just playing with the pros?

You've got all the answers, Brian. I know you do.

2 years ago, they had about 38 in camp so 40ish sounds about right. Regarding Avtsin, the fact that he defected I would think all but ensures they won't ask him to play - punishment for leaving if you will.

2 years ago, they had about 38 in camp so 40ish sounds about right. Regarding Avtsin, the fact that he defected I would think all but ensures they won't ask him to play - punishment for leaving if you will.

He left Russia fairly amicably. The Russians don't care about 'defecting', really. He didn't break his contract like Kabanov, it was a formal termination. The Russians are also the only major European federation that are encouraging their top juniors to play major junior.

Avtsin should be in the mix for the team, but he's not a guarantee, as they may not see a spot for him in the top 6, and therefore may look elsewhere. But the fact that he's in Hamilton might actually work to his advantage: he's there already. I can't see how he wouldn't get a tryout with the team, and participate in some exhibition games.

It'll be interesting if either of Bennett or Tinordi get invited to the Americans' camp. I assume the Americans will have a camp again... it worked quite well for them last year when they did it for the first time.

Random prospect note... does anyone know what John Westin's injury is? He hasn't played all year.

39 total are in camp, including the 3 Habs (Leblanc, Bournival, Gallagher), they'll be fighting amongst the 23 forwards for the 13 roster spots. (With the D they have in camp though, they may go 12 F, 8 D actually.)

It'll be interesting if either of Bennett or Tinordi get invited to the Americans' camp. I assume the Americans will have a camp again... it worked quite well for them last year when they did it for the first time.

Random prospect note... does anyone know what John Westin's injury is? He hasn't played all year.

If memory serves me right, Tinordi was cut from the summer camp and his season, though decent, hasn't been overwhelming. The States have also shifted towards bringing more players to the tourney from the USDP lately I do believe. I'd give him an outside shot, not sure about Bennett, he's missed quite a few games already (only played 9/16 at Michigan), that could do him in. We'll know soon enough, the preliminary (28-man) roster will be named on Dec. 7 at 11 AM.

As for Westin, he has a broken arm and is out another 6-8 weeks.

He left Russia fairly amicably. The Russians don't care about 'defecting', really. He didn't break his contract like Kabanov, it was a formal termination. The Russians are also the only major European federation that are encouraging their top juniors to play major junior.

Avtsin should be in the mix for the team, but he's not a guarantee, as they may not see a spot for him in the top 6, and therefore may look elsewhere. But the fact that he's in Hamilton might actually work to his advantage: he's there already. I can't see how he wouldn't get a tryout with the team, and participate in some exhibition games.

Avtsin wasn't named to Russia's camp so it appears highly unlikely he'll make the team. Even if players won't be in the camp, they're typically named to the camp roster at least (such as Landeskog in Sweden).

Avtsin wasn't named to Russia's camp so it appears highly unlikely he'll make the team. Even if players won't be in the camp, they're typically named to the camp roster at least (such as Landeskog in Sweden).

None of the NA pros have been named to camps aside from Brandon Pirri. Lehner wasn't on Sweden's roster. We'll see, I suppose. A lot of these players simply haven't been granted permission from their NHL teams yet.

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you who, unlike me, have a connection worthy of streaming (legally) a game, the WHL is having a 3-day free webcast of all games from Dec. 28-30. Gallagher's team plays on the 28th and 30th, it's a chance to see him play since he's not at the WJC's.

http://www.whl.ca/article/free-whl-webcast...or-the-holidays

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A nice accolade for Gallagher today as he was named to the WHL's 1st All-Star team. Not bad for a guy with another year left of junior eligibility...

http://www.habsworld.net/out.php?11903

Just a note on that: that's the WHL's Western Conference 1st All-Star team. They do two teams per conference and then at the end of the year announce a main one.

Giants are down 3-0 in the first round.

I think he should sign an ATO with the Bulldogs when they get knocked out... provided he's healthy, of course.

They're out now, lost 5-1 with Gallagher scoring the lone goal...while taking 4 minor penalties leading to 3 Tri-City goals. I too would like to see Gallagher get an ATO but in the past the Habs have been hesitant to give one to a player who still has another year of junior eligibility left.

• 5 months later...

I am usually really not the guy who will go crazy on a rookie during pre season. But, I must admit that I really like what I see from Gallagher. He skates hard, nice vision, obvious offensive skills AND he goes to the net agains NHLers like Seidenberg.

He really put up a good show this week. Do we have there another rough diamond à la Halak / Markov / SK74 ???

He played last night vs calgary so he is still in PG and JMs radar.Depending on Injuries I can see him get a 9 game tryout.He has impressed me although I haven't seen every game.Had trouble ordering RDS got it 1/2 way through the 3rd game.

Too bad he got sent down, I would have liked too see him in at leased one game. I guess they didn't want too take up that last contract spot with him.

Too bad he got sent down, I would have liked too see him in at leased one game. I guess they didn't want too take up that last contract spot with him.

They still have 2 spots available. Also, had he played his 9 games and been sent back, it would've been eligible to slide (not count against the limit) anyway.