General Question at Large

BlueKross

It is my understanding that at least the Ontario Major Jr Hockey League has gone to the soft caps in both the elbow pads and somewhat in shoulder pads. When there is an international series going on are all teams mandated with the soft caps? I would appreciate if someone could expand on that and maybe clarify what parts of the body still carry the hard pads. Thank you.

As the softer equipment is just starting to come into use now, I suspect it isn't mandated for international play yet. They might wait to make sure that these still will protect the players as the pads are intended to do. Below is the report from the Ice Hockey Summit which does make a series of recommendations including the usage of the softer pads; this report obviously has made its way to the IIHF considering I found it on their site.

http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_upload/PDF/Sport/CMO/Rationale_Collaborative_Action.pdf

So even if they haven't mandated a switch, it's something they're likely keeping an eye on.