Bulldogs ass't coach Ron Wilson fired today

miklin

---sort of putting a bandaid on a compound fracture :Bulldogs:

The press release suggests that Lefebvre was the one pulling the strings on this due to differences of opinion. Considering Hamilton is dead last, I'd suggest that contradictory opinions from an assistant might not be a bad thing, certainly not justification for his removal. I get that he wasn't Lefebvre's hire but I don't like this.

Who knows what the hell is going on...but in principle, I don't like it. Stand by your people for God's sake.

That's the thing, Wilson wasn't Lefebvre's hire. He was a holdover from the previous regime (heck, he's been an assistant to a lot of coaches in Hamilton over the years). This seems like 'my way or the highway' which isn't a great attitude to have with your coaching staff.

That's the thing, Wilson wasn't Lefebvre's hire. He was a holdover from the previous regime (heck, he's been an assistant to a lot of coaches in Hamilton over the years). This seems like 'my way or the highway' which isn't a great attitude to have with your coaching staff.

It's Lefebvre's first head coach position and he doesn't want to screw up. He's Marc Bergevin's guy and Lefebvre is most probably more in sync with him than Wilson is. I don't see what's wrong here. Most of the time, the GM allows the coach to choose his assts anyways. It's all clear that when there's a management overhaul, there is a new philosophy that goes it in and you have to abide by it if you want to keep your job. I don't see what's wrong with that. Maybe Wilson would have like consideration for head coach?

It's Lefebvre's first head coach position and he doesn't want to screw up. He's Marc Bergevin's guy and Lefebvre is most probably more in sync with him than Wilson is. I don't see what's wrong here. Most of the time, the GM allows the coach to choose his assts anyways. It's all clear that when there's a management overhaul, there is a new philosophy that goes it in and you have to abide by it if you want to keep your job. I don't see what's wrong with that. Maybe Wilson would have like consideration for head coach?

Then you make the change before the season and don't have Wilson forced upon the staff. It's a lot like the Pearn thing last year, did anyone really think he was the problem? Lefebvre's methods have been iffy at best and he's firing Wilson because they disagree. You're in last place, perhaps a better solution would have been to actually consider what was being suggested? (Such as don't play Stortini and Hagel 12-15 minutes a game, 4th lines never got this much ice time until this season...)

The decision to make a change isn't what bothers me but rather the reason. If you want to fire an assistant because you want to shake things up on a last place team, that's fine. That's not what happened here though which concerns me.

agree re Hagel and Stortini getting too much ice time but maybe it was out of necessity---short of healthy bodies, etc. They sure seem to ramp up the p.r. re Hagel and Tenute being Hamilton natives lately. In defense of Zach, he is being asked to do what exceeds his talent level.

Then you make the change before the season and don't have Wilson forced upon the staff. It's a lot like the Pearn thing last year, did anyone really think he was the problem? Lefebvre's methods have been iffy at best and he's firing Wilson because they disagree. You're in last place, perhaps a better solution would have been to actually consider what was being suggested? (Such as don't play Stortini and Hagel 12-15 minutes a game, 4th lines never got this much ice time until this season...)

The decision to make a change isn't what bothers me but rather the reason. If you want to fire an assistant because you want to shake things up on a last place team, that's fine. That's not what happened here though which concerns me.

no reason to fire him before the season i guess. Lefebvre is new and Wilson was surely great to have as a Bdogs organisation veteran and help Lefebvre gets his bearing etc. But obviously it didn't work out. Maybe it's negative as you say and means Lefebvre has problem getting his message across or spreading his vision or maybe it's just some simple communication incompatibility. If your team is struggling on the standings and it's your first year, you want to make sure to give it all and have the hands untied. It might be Lefebvre's only shot at Head coach. However, I don't think he has fire under him. Bergevin repeatedly said Hamilton had lots of young guys compared to the rest of the league and the goal was to put them in a setting to be learning. Therrien also repeatedly says that Lefebvre is doing a great job with the kids. Lefebvre seems to have full confidence from management and this move shows that he has also free hands and also weight with management. Anyways, head coaches usually bring in their people with who they can work with. It was a good move keeping Wilson as a veteran Bulldogs (asst) coach in the first place. You always want things to work well in a team, but sometimes there are adjustments to make. I'm not ready to put the blame on Lefebvre for that one.