NHL/NHLPA AGREE ON DEAL! Its over!

Psycing

NHL talks ongoing; deal to be done today

TSN has this short report out:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=13...240&hubName=nhl

-------------------------------------------------

I'll believe it when I see it, but here's to hoping it's true.

:contract: FINALLY! :nono:

Puck Edit: Subject Edited

[Edited on 2005-7-13 by puck7x]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought of an interesting question today. Will the new CBA have any sort of steroid testing program?

Steroids are obviously a very hot topic, even garnering interest from the US government. I know that MLB and the NFL have significant systems to test for drugs and steroids, and the NBA also has a lesser system for screening illegal substances.

As of now, the NHL does not test for steroids or illegal narcotics. With all the pressure on banning steroids, will the new agreement address this is any way? As big of an issue as it is, I can't believe nobody has ever brought it up. We would be foolish to think that there are no NHLers boosting their endurance and strength through artificial means.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

As of now, the NHL does not test for steroids or illegal narcotics.  With all the pressure on banning steroids, will the new agreement address this is any way?  As big of an issue as it is, I can't believe nobody has ever brought it up.  We would be foolish to think that there are no NHLers boosting their endurance and strength through artificial means.

Steroids are not a problem in the NHL, its nothing like the NFL and MLB, leagues where power and being big is so very important. The only NHL players who might use steroids are goons in my opinion (Dave Morissette).

The NHL's drug problem is with sudafed and drugs like that, over the counter stimulants.

Originally posted by puck7x

Steroids are not a problem in the NHL, its nothing like the NFL and MLB, leagues where power and being big is so very important. The only NHL players who might use steroids are goons in my opinion (Dave Morissette).  

The NHL's drug problem is with sudafed and drugs like that, over the counter stimulants.

Steroids are also very helpful for getting through the riggers of an 82 game schedule. In baseball, a lot of guys who have used steroids say that they used them more for keeping their endurance rather than building muscle. I honestly have no idea if guys use steroids in the NHL to help recover from injury and to help them play in as many games as possible.

Draft Lottery Details

Each team starts with 3 balls. Teams lose 1 ball for each playoff appearance over the past 3 years. 1 ball lost for every #1 overall pick you've had (Wsh, Florida, etc)

7 round draft instead of 9. Draft to be held on July 21st (Next Thursday)

Oh yeah, its a SNAKE STYLE DRAFT! (order is reversed after each round)

Wow... nothing has felt this good since Canada won the gold cup.... YES... cant wait... bring it on!... lets get this show on the road... finally.

Draft Lottery Details

Each team starts with 3 balls. Teams lose 1 ball for each playoff appearance over the past 3 years. 1 ball lost for every #1 overall pick you've had (Wsh, Florida, etc)  

7 round draft instead of 9. Draft to be held on July 21st (Next Thursday)

Teams who've made the playoffs each of the last 3 playoffs:

-Boston

-Colorado

-Detroit

-New Jersey

-Islanders

-Ottawa

-Philadelphia

-St.Louis

-Toronto

-Vancouver

Teams who've made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years:

-Dallas

-Montreal

-San Jose

-Tampa

Teams who've made the playoffs once of the last 3 years:

-Anaheim

-Calgary

-Carolina

-Chicago

-Edmonton

-Minny

-Nashville

-Phoenix

Teams who've had the #1 pick once over the last 4 drafts:

-Columbus

-Pittsburgh

-Washington (also looses 1 for making the playoffs once)

-Atlanta

Teams who'v neither made the playoffs OR had a #1 pick:

-Buffalo

-Florida

-LA

-Rangers

So if what you're saying is correct, does that mean the teams who've made the playoffs the last 3 years, they have no chance then?

And who losses the ball for the 03 draft? Florida had the #1 pick but traded it to Pittsburgh.

[Edited on 2005/7/13 by Leafs Suck]

Deal done! TSN with an update...

http://tsn.ca/

Just needs to be ratified.

From what I understand, the retification process will go smoothly, but it may take a while if all the NHLPA member have to vote on it. The logistics of getting people together for a vote might take some work.

So lets not get ahead of ourselves. We will be able to break out the champagne, just not yet. I think I read July 21 somewhere.

Originally posted by Doktor Kosmos

BTW, I think it's about damn time they agreed on someting. Not a minute too soon.

Same feeling here

And i'm still very frustrated.. they say it's a deal done but won't be official until next week. I'm sick of this, even if it's true. Bring it on already:wall:

From TSN:

"The lottery formula is as follows - each team begins with three balls. For every playoff appearance in the last three years or No. 1 overall pick over the last four years, a team loses one ball. But each team will still be guaranteed to have one ball in the lottery. The first round will go with teams picking 1 through 30, with the 30th team picking 31st and the draft order 'snaking' back and forth in a seven round draft. "

That is stupid. Why not just start every team with 4 balls and go from there?

The Habs will have the same chance as Detroit, Philly and Jersey since the every team is guarnateed 1 ball. That is ridiculos.

I do find it ironic that LA and NYR will have the best shots. Arguably the two biggest markets in the game (population wise) have the best shot at Crosby. Along with the Sabres and possibily the Panthers.

I have this very funny feeling Crosby will be a Ranger. It just makes perfect sense on all parts. Much like when the Knicks got Ewing.

Originally posted by sakiqc
Originally posted by Doktor Kosmos

BTW, I think it's about damn time they agreed on someting. Not a minute too soon.

Same feeling here

And i'm still very frustrated.. they say it's a deal done but won't be official until next week. I'm sick of this, even if it's true. Bring it on already:wall:

Yes, I think they've kept us waiting long enough... and then some!

I have to say that although the problem of creating a fair draft format hasn't kept me up at night, I still think the way it's been decribed in this thread is very interesting. Like I said, I haven't given it much thought, but it seems fair to me.

[Edited on 2005/7/13 by Doktor Kosmos]

Teams like Philadelphia, Jersey and Detroit have no business being in contention for Sidney Crosby.

I like the idea of eleminating balls over your playoff apperances and previous #1 picks, but to guarantee each team 1 chance is beyond stupid.

No matter how the draft order is done, somebody will have a complaint.

Of course everyone has to have a ball, since every team has to have a first round pick.

I think balls should be allocated based on the last 3 years standings, instead of starting out with 3 balls. From there teams can lose a ball for playoff appearances and #1 picks.

TSN has:

3 balls: PIT BUF NYR CBJ

2 balls: CGY EDM ANA ATL CHI CAR LA MIN.. and 2-3 others

1 ball: the rest, including MTL

Stupid system... let's hope we beat the odds and get Syd anyway.

But since it's a snake style draft, once you don't get Syd... doesn't really matter where you draft.

Here's a link to the complete list of balls per team:

Click here

[Edited on 13-7-05 by Habs77]

Originally posted by Habs77

TSN has:

3 balls: PIT BUF NYR CBJ

2 balls: CGY EDM ANA ATL CHI CAR LA MIN.. and 2-3 others

1 ball: the rest, including MTL

Stupid system... let's hope we beat the odds and get Syd anyway.

But since it's a snake style draft, once you don't get Syd... doesn't really matter where you draft.

Its incredibly stupid... We missed the playoffs 1/3 past few seasons. Why should we have the same odds as a team who made the playoffs every one of those years? Its like this system was designed to screw Montreal (and a couple of other teams who made the playoffs 2/3 past seasons) ...

Oh well, its still a 48 ball lottery. The teams with 3 balls have a 6.25% chance at Crosby... the teams with 2 balls have a 4.1% chance, and the teams with 1 ball have a 2% chance at him.

I wouldnt be surprised if a team with 1 ball ends up winning.