why didnt we pick Marian Hossa...

Dalhabs

Originally posted by Dalhabs

instead of Jason Ward in the 1997 draft?

Dont worry, Marian will be a UFA in a couple of years. Maybe the habs will finally make up for their mistake in 97 ;)

Why did Calgary choose Daniel Tkaczuk and Vancouver choose Brad Ferrence in '97? Check the THN draft preview... they were rated way higher than Hossa(18), especially Ferrence (10) and Tkaczuk(5).

In 1998, why did Vancouver choose Bryan Allen(4), the Rangers choose Manny Malhotra(7), Edmonton choose Michael Henrich(13), Calgary choose Rico Fata(6), Phoenix choose Patrick Desrocherx(14), LA choose Matthieu Biron(21)? They were ALL rated higher and some WAY higher than Gagné.

As for Chouinard, he was described as a 'Jean Ratelle-type center, smooth and skilled'. If you know anything about what kind of player Ratelle was, any GM would drool to have Chouinard on his team.

I could do the same for Iginla. I remember reading Iginla's description and 'potential'. It was good but somewhat iffy. Ryan was also rated higher than Iginla at the time.

So, get real, get the full facts and get it right before you throw stones at someone else's efforts.

Originally posted by shortcat1

Why did Calgary choose Daniel Tkaczuk and  Vancouver choose Brad Ferrence in '97? Check the THN draft preview... they were rated way higher than Hossa(18), especially Ferrence (10) and Tkaczuk(5).

In 1998, why did Vancouver choose Bryan Allen(4), the Rangers choose Manny Malhotra(7), Edmonton choose Michael Henrich(13), Calgary choose Rico Fata(6), Phoenix choose Patrick Desrocherx(14), LA choose Matthieu Biron(21)? They were ALL rated higher and some WAY higher than Gagné.

As for Chouinard, he was described as a 'Jean Ratelle-type center, smooth and skilled'. If you know anything about what kind of player Ratelle was, any GM would drool to have Chouinard on his team.

I  could do the same for Iginla. I remember reading Iginla's description and 'potential'. It was good but somewhat iffy. Ryan was also rated higher than Iginla at the time.

So, get real, get the full facts and get it right before you throw stones at someone else's efforts.

Excellent!!! :clap:

I want to add one, just one... I dedicate it to Beckham

In 2003, Jeff Carter was ranked 27 in NA... just a comparison, Maxim Lapierre was ranked 23rd NA... so basically Carter was deemed to be a 2nd rounder...

Kost on the other hand was ranked 3rd in Europe and was that low because of the epilepsy concerns...

but anyways it's WAAAAAAAAAyyyy too early to call him a bust as he's still impressing everyone with his package of skills and still improving... last year was the adaptation year only...

Originally posted by shortcat1

Oooooh sorry for looking back on previous drafts. I didnt know we had Rejean Houle's son here who would take offence by what I started.

I can bash anybody I want for bad drafts becaus we've made MANY bad draftpicks over the years. I feel I want to see at least 1 or 2 of them develope into quality players.