2005 NHL Entry Draft Thread

puck7x

He doesn't have to raise a fuss. If he is honest with the Pens that he prefers to play in Montreal, and the Habs offer a huge package in return......

Better to have half a dozen young prospects who want to play for your team than one who doesn't. Particularly when you know that player has a 10 million dollar feather bed to land in if he jumps your team.

It will probably come down to a case of whether the Pens feel that they need both Malkin and Crosby, whether they can afford the two over the long haul, and whether they might hamper each other's progress in any way. I think they are the two best young prospects in hockey, they play the same position, they play a similar style, and they have similar personalities. The main difference is that Malkin is a year older and about half a foot taller. He could ultimately be the better player.

[Edited on 2005/7/25 by beckham]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, anybody hear if the draft itself will be covered 'live' in one way or another on TV?

I know that it's going to be a closed thing of sorts in some Ottawa hotel as opposed to the usual cattle auction spectacle that we see annually. Nevertheless, if the lottery could be televised so could the draft itself.

Here's my suggested format:

Maybe TSN/RDS could have a direct line (audio only or a direct web line) to some sort of central desk in the 'draft center'.

They could have a set of videos like the ones that they have every year and, when a player is chosen, a panel could go into their discussions while the appropriate video clip is set up.

This could be done for the first round and, time allowing, the second one too (or at least part of it).

The choices would take place more quickly because time wouldn't necessarily be lost while the drafted player walks up to the podium. Also, the usual interviews (GM/Coach/Owner/Player) wouldn't necessarily take place (unless there's more lines to different player's locations and to the different team's rooms of desks in a conference room.

Whatcha think about that?

[Edited on 2005/7/25 by shortcat1]

Originally posted by shortcat1

By the way, anybody hear if the draft itself will be covered 'live' in one way or another on TV?

I know that it's going to be a closed thing of sorts in some Ottawa hotel as opposed to the usual cattle auction spectacle that we see annually. Nevertheless, if the lottery could be televised so could the draft itself.

Here's my suggested format:

Maybe TSN/RDS could have a direct line (audio only or a direct web line) to some sort  of central desk in the 'draft center'.

The draft will look exactly the same as it does every year on TV . TSN/RDS begin their coverage at 12pm on Saturday. The only difference in this years draft is that the fans and most of the players (aside from the top guys) will not be there.

GREAT!

Marino & I will sit down with a snack and drink and cheer/boo each other on. He's a Leafs fan but a good friend anyhow.

Thanks for the info.

Looks like there could be some very good prospects left on the board at #56 and #65 if the CSB ratings are any indication. Players like Levasseur, Latendresse, Paquet, Cogliano, Ryder, Hensick, Bailey..:o.

I can't see much difference between some of those players and the ones available at #5 overall.:clap:

I really doubt that they would draft Jack Johnson. I'm sure Burke would trade the pick to someone who wanted the defenseman if he could be gauranteed of getting one of the top forward prospects.

Interesting stuff. Speculative as all get-out but a great read and full of names and facts to consider.

Originally posted by ap79

http://www.forecaster.ca/demo/hockey/extra...2005-draft-mock

Wow... so many suprise picks in there...

- Ryan falls to 6th

- Bourret picked 8th

- Staal 13th

- Latendresse to Detroit... again

- Lashoff not in the first round

- Trukhno picked by TB (that was my call first!)

[Edited on 29-7-2005 by ap79]

yeah, it's the same as "the score" I tried to post the score draft center link on the main page, but it didn't work out... :(

Originally posted by alexstream

http://www.forecaster.ca/demo/hockey/extra...2005-draft-mock

Wow... so many suprise picks in there...

- Ryan falls to 6th

- Bourret picked 8th

- Staal 13th

- Latendresse to Detroit... again

- Lashoff not in the first round

- Trukhno picked by TB (that was my call first!)

[Edited on 29-7-2005 by ap79]

yeah, it's the same as "the score" I tried to post the score draft center link on the main page, but it didn't work out... :(

Could be, because Forecaster provides content for many websites, TSN included.

Here's another one for you to chew on before the draft itself.

At CHFANS.com, it says that Gainey stated that he's looking first of all for a top level defenseman. Then they want to get a forward and then a role-player.

Interestingly, I'm listening to TVA and Gainey's saying these exact things in an interview.

If you can read French, here is the article in question:

http://www.chfans.com/in_comments.php?t=8968

A note worthy of thought. the author of the article seems to think that Gainey's comments are for Free Agents.

Hmmm....

:ghg:

Bob Mackenzie mentioned the possibility of the Habs trading up to number 2 on Sportscentre today. Anyone think it will happen? I don't know a whole lot about any of these prospects, but in my opinion Johnson is the player that we need the most. We have good young forwards already playing for the big team and a bunch of top prospects that could be ready in a year or two, while on D there is Komi and not a whole lot else.

I was shocked with the pick but you know I've been reading up on this kid and he sounds like a decent goalie. Their is a potential Theodore could be gone in a few years and after him they don't have a blue-chip prospect so to make it makes sense.

Even if Price can develop into a solid goalie, they could move Theodore and get even stronger on the blueline.

I wouldn't have made this move, I would have gone for Brule or Staal but I still think this is a smart move by Bobo.

BTW Pierre McGuire is a fool. Here him praise every other pick except Price? He didn't rip the Sharks for taken some guy ranked in the late 20's or the Caps pick who wasn't even ranked in the first round. Plus he praises Toronto pick eventhough Price is projected to be a much better goalie.

[Edited on 2005/7/30 by Leafs Suck]

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

You got Halak & Heino-Lindberg in the system who could amount to something too...

So dissapointing...

Could is the word. Halak and Lindberg looked average to me at the WJC this year.

I don't know what games you saw but Halak was one of the top goalies at the tournament this year. Sweden was a very poor team imo and although Heino didn't fare very well and had a shoulder injury, it's hard to really judge him. He was the top goalie in the tier-2 league, not bad for the then 19 year old.

• 1 year later...