New IIHF/NHL transfer deal

Doktor Kosmos

TSN link

What is not mentioned in the article is that European clubs are worried about the "temporary" transfer deadline on August 15. The Swedish Elite League starts roughly a month after that. It may lead to individual teams losing a lot of the players in their lineup. However, most of the people I have heard talk about it said that they are willing to live with that since in the future, the deadline will be July 15.

Another thing that is not mentioned in the article but that Swedish media have made a big deal out of is the fact that the NHL may only import 60 plyers from Europe every year.

[Edited on 2005/7/25 by Doktor Kosmos]

[Edited on 2005-7-26 by puck7x]

How does that impact the European players who come over to play in the CHL? or USHL?

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the Czech Republic has gone the same route, I wonder if that sets the pattern for more European teams following suite.

I get the impression that, yes it's a matter or money - that is they want more (fair enough) but there seems also to be a sense of 'We've had enough of this talent drain to the North American hockey market'. So, there's just as much a 'pride' factor as a financial question.

If that's the case, I can see that it'll be much more difficult to sort this thing out.

Any ideas?

I think the deal is great. Dont know why the Russians and Czechs dont like it.

Get more money for their lost players than before

IF the player is sent to the minors they get EVEN more

max 60 players + the minor league rule = fewer talents will leave europe and stay with their motherclubs.

whats NOT to like about the deal?

ps. correct me if im wrong...

I don't know enough about this deal. I just know what I've read about the Czech Republic joining in.

I can't say if you're wrong or right so I'll confidently go with you're right.

Originally posted by Dalhabs

I think the deal is great. Dont know why the Russians and Czechs dont like it.  

Get more money for their lost players than before

IF the player is sent to the minors they get EVEN more

max 60 players + the minor league rule = fewer talents will leave europe and stay with their motherclubs.

whats NOT to like about the deal?

ps.  correct me if im wrong...

i think it goes something like this:

The russians and th czechs both feel they hav been royally screwed by the previous transfer system. They want a much more money and more gaurantees. Russia and czech send out the most euros to the US. Sweden is probably happy because for the most part that 60 player allotment will be taken be eastern euros and they will keep some players that would otherwise be statebound. Russia probably wont see that big of a change, but just get a little more cash. Eastern europe might want a regional transfer cap or something. Probably more money would do the trick.

If you can find a source that refers to the 60 player limit, please post it, as I have not heard anything about it.

Originally posted by Doktor Kosmos

TSN link

Another thing that is not mentioned in the article but that Swedish media have made a big deal out of is the fact that the NHL may only import 60 plyers from Europe every year.

[Edited on 2005/7/25 by Doktor Kosmos]

[Edited on 2005-7-26 by puck7x]