Gainey's Challanges...

puck7x

Excellent article. A couple of things:

"This is the most unique market in North America. It’s the only market where French is almost required, and let’s be honest here, how many players want to deal with a second language as well as coming to a new city and dealing with the pressure cooker that is the Bell Centre. It’s a very different culture in Montreal, as anyone who’s ever lived there will agree."

French Canadiens and players who grew up loving the Habs are the only ones who want to come here.

All the pressure and speculation is a byproduct of a hockey town. I agree that it is hard on the players but I will say that it has its benefits as well. The Habs will fill the building and generate cash. Fans drool over every move....they are involved. That means they spend money. I do, t-shirts, jerseys, etc.

Is it really any different in Toronto? No, not really. Or is it different in say NFL crazy Indianapolis?

Do players like Kovalev make 4.5 million a year just for our entertainment?

Some players love the hockey towns, crazy media and fan involvement. I remember Kovalev pointing out his reason for loving Montreal so much.

We are indeed harsh, I certainly am at times. I want my team to win. I can't even call the Habs my team, they are a part of me and I them. I refer to the Habs in the first person.

Do you remember the cheers and ovation Saku got when he returned from his cancer scare? Man, it was incredible.

Remember Savage leaving? He cried, proudly displaying his habs tatoo.

I agree that not everyone wants to plat here but those that do play with everything they have through good and bad.

:ghg:

Wow excellent article !

The fans passion for the CH is as intense as any franchise in sport history can ever be able to generate from its community.

I sometime think that Montreal's fans do possess as much class as they have passion.

I remember Doug Gilmourd saying how friendly and supportive people where towards him on the street in Montreal while on similar occasions in Toronto he would get a '' the team sucks'' kind of greeting.

Kovalel unexpectetly got an ovation from the crowd upon its first shift on the ice at the Bell, it was a sponteneous affair and it touch him in a way that he came back to play here.

I must say I have missed most of the '' lean years'' of the team from 94 to 2001 as I was away during that time.

I suspect that the misguided direction behing the CH and the subsequent poor quality hockey during that time might have given the depressed fans an unusual simpathy towards the most critical sport commentators of the time.

With the arrival of Andre Savard and subsequently Bob Gainey the picture as completly change for the better and the sport media as yet failled to notice that their ''watch dog'' approch is no longer needed.

They are a step behing right now and the poor quality of their writing is affected by the self-importance they no longer deserve.

Because of our love for the sport we are giving them an attention they dont deserve and because they are not as ressourcfull and creative as they could be, they make up silly type scenario that fall into bad tv soap writtings generating controversys over nothing.

Most of the tasteless and stupid reaction of the fans over the last active year, as commented throught the initial article, where the product of this insanity from the media.

I recall even the sport news as delivered by RDS where showing some impatience with Kovalev, but thanks god the fans at the Bell where more insighfull and constructive and didnt show any of the RDS ignorance and arrogance.

Once the pretentious aspect of our sport media fade into its own irrelevance and that the new CBA allow the CH to regain steadilly into its victorious path of the past,... the players will come...not just the best of the french speaking one...but the others as well.