Players heading overseas

dlbalr

I've never heard of it before. It's even uncommon for veteran NHL players to finnish their career in Sweden. Except for Swedes...

Finland is a much more common adres in thoose cases.

He says that he want to "calm down" (couldn't find another english word...

In the lonley forest in the deepest Småland.

There's not a single profesional i Växjö Lakers... Untill tomorrow when Podein will play his first game.

Here's a link - http://www.vaxjolakers.nu

The coach of Växjö Lakers Lasse Lindgren says that there was a personel reason why Podein choose Växjö.

He had offers from Russians, german, finnish and Swedish Elitserie clubs.

But Växjö it is.

And by the way... Lasse Lindgren played for Minnesota North Stars. Is there a connection?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Robert Dome is now playing for Södertälje SK in the Swedish Elitserien. Rumors are going around that Södertälje will sign at least one more NHL-player this week. They have earlier this season signed Lubomir Sekeras.

Kent Manderville is alos found in Elitserien. He's now playing with Timrå IK.

• 5 months later...

Torontos Mikael Renberg is back in Sweden. And that's for good.

Markus Näslund will continue in the NHL if there won't be a lock-out, but expect many to follow Renbergs example.

He will play for Luleå, the most northern team in the Swedish Elitserie.

http://www.nsd.se/index.php?artikel=113978...e48c244e96523e6

• 3 weeks later...

And today it was made official. Tommy Salo has signed. MoDo it is.

But. The most notable about it is that he said that MoDo will have a team with a lot of skilled player next season.

Half MoDos squad was not resigned after the season end. In Sweden they wishper about Forsberg, Sundström and all other MoDo players in the NHL.

The Sedins and Marcus Näslund want to stay tough.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Last year Shjon Podein played for Växjö Lakers in the Swedish third division (Also called division 1), but actually it's the third since Elitserien and Allsvenskan are at a higher level.

Now that same club has done it again. They say that they have TWO NHL-players under contract but won't let the name be official until later this week. Probably tomorrow.

I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I took a (blurry) picture at today's game. It's Trent Hunter and Ric Jackman, now in Nyköping and Björklöven, talking to each other during the warm-up.

Just an image impossible to consider a while ago...

050123-hunterjackman.jpg

Hunter's Nyköping won 5-4, but he was held scoreless. He did manage three shots on goal though. Jackman had two assists and seven(!) shots on goal. :clap:

[Edited on 2005/1/23 by thunderbutt]