Comcast the New Cable Owner of the NHL

Fanpuck33_

As many of you know, last night ESPN declined to match Comcast's bid to air NHL games. This means the new home of the NHL is OLN. What is OLN? The Outdoor Life Network. That's funny, I wasn't aware that hockey was an outdoor sport.

The worst part is, OLN is not carried where I will be living for the next 8 months. That means I don't get to watch playoff games every night during exam week. Instead, if I am lucky, I will only see one playoff game a week until the first week of May.

At least I will be able to watch most every Blue Jackets games.

i imagine they might re-acronymize OLN pretty soon, or change it altogether. I had to get the digital package to pick up OLN... about $8.00 extra a month, but I want my hockey.

Unfortunately they don't do center ice in indiana, so I'm back to the radio for habs games. The new NHL better expand that appeal soon!

I don't have access to Center Ice either. At school our cable is through the University, so no premium channels. At home, digital cable or a sattelite is just too expensive, and Center Ice adds even more to the bill.

Well, for what it's worth, it's only a two year contract.

If the game grows in appeal as we're told it will, at that time, other networks will likely be more ready to jump into the fray in order to get a contract.

I know that it's not quite the same but, about 15 years ago when basketball was going downhill, they made some changes to improve the game and, as a result, the game became more popular.

It's to be hoped that the same will happen here.

Basketball has gotten a lot less popular in the last 15 years. Ratings for the NBA playoffs were terrible the last few seasons.

As for it only being a 2 year deal, that doesn't make a difference to me. I was counting on being able to watch hours of playoff hockey to help get me through my final month of student teaching.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

my final month of student teaching.

Going to be a teacher? Great! Good career choice. I've done it for 30 years now and still enjoy it as much as I did when I started. God is too good.

Luckily, I have RDS to watch my games (but in French.) Then there's TSN which will only show Toronto games most likely and then possibly Sportcentre and then Hockey Night in Canada WITHOUT DON CHERRY!:/):P:D;):lol::clap: I've always loved laughing at that guy; at his opinions and at his suits (ties).

I wonder how much Comcast will charge for their streaming online games. Since I have a high speed connection on campus, I may have to look into it.

can we watch the nhl online?

The NHL needs to do like the MLB did and let people see matches off their website for a certain amount for the season (MLB TV).

This would easily be more revenu for them considering hockey isn't popular in certain places like Chicago who has no local TV deal.

At my place, were getting Star Choice (satelite) but it seems they dont have the centreice package. But I will be geting all the sports net channels (east west ontario pacfic) Does anyone know how many games these networks get and wether or not Sports net east will carry Habs games?

[Edited on 2005/8/26 by TheBigRedC]

There's no FoxSportsNet in Chi-town?  They have it in Cleveland, Cincy, and Detroit, but not Chicago?  That sucks.

there is no foxsportsnet chicago, but there is comcast sportsnet(sox) and WGN (which covers cubs and I think maybe bulls).

The problem is not the lack of local sports outlet, its that wirtz doesn't offer a local tv contract because he thinks it hurts the gate (as far as i understand). Waiting to be corrected on this...

as to the term of the OLN contract, I believe that OLN has an option to renew for a 3 and 4th year. Also, if OLN gets their subscriber to a high enough level they owe the NHL like $15mil extra per year. I think there might also be a ratings incentive as well, but less sure of that. Also think that 4th year might be a mutual option...

[Edited on 8/26/2005 by simonus]

Originally posted by TheBigRedC

Does anyone know how many games these networks get and wether or not Sports net east will carry Habs games?

Only if they show a couple games against US East Coast opponents.