Stéphane Quintal retires

MAK

Originally posted by Macaskill

Quintal was a stand-up guy. I wish him all the luck in his future!

Except when he left us for a huge contract and then coming back to where the grass is greener at the first chance he had. Always like him, one of our few guys who stood up for teammates. Maybe we can hire him as an assistant coach to replace Rick Green. :D

I never really liked him. I always pictured him as our worst defenceman. But ah well...

How long til we retire his number?:?-

Oh wait! Maybe we should start with Larry Robinson, and every other superstar the Habs have eevr had!

Originally posted by HABS Fan Nr.1

BTW. I suppose L.A. won't make a trade with the HABS anymore ... they got a guy who decided to retire, nice move. :D

By the way, I don't think that Quintal was traded. In so far as I remember, he wasn't resigned By Montreal. So, later, he was picked up by LA.

On the whole, I thought that he was a good presence for Montreal. He was a team man par excellence.

The only thing that frustrated me about him was that he was often getting into fights, taking off his helmet (as I believe he should) and he kept punching the other player's helmet. Then he would go to the penalty box with his face filled expressing the pain he felt in his hand and knuckles which were covered by a bag of ice. It happened again and again and again. I suppose that came from the desire to protect his team-mates which, on principle, is to be respected.

[Edited on 2005/8/22 by shortcat1]

Ok, I'm wrong again... happens about three times a year... maybe four if I'm not wrong. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/186433.html

As a player on the ice, I liked Quintal. He was tough, usually did not make many defensive mistakes, and fought anyone when the situation warranted it.

Off the ice, he was long rumoured to be a leak to the media, discussing things that should probably been left in the dressing room. Now, as a fan I am a little torn by a player who decides to do this. On one hand, it's good to read a little bit of dirt on players. On the other, Quintal may have been fabricating stories from time to time just to get some extra attention. There's no doubt that the media in Montreal, especially the french media, loved having Quintal as an inside source.