Prospect camp

montreal

Nurminen's career is over. He was never more than adequate as a starter (2 seasons). Kiprusoff got into all of 38 games last season. He has less than 100 NHL games in his career. I wouldn't call him a star (or even a proven starter), and I think he is 27 or something. Toskala has been hanging around for awhile without breaking through, before him Ari Ahonen, Mikka Noronen, and a few other Finns were touted as future stars. None has come through as yet. Lehtonen, if he produces in the NHL will be the first Finnish goaltender to legitimately be called an NHL star. Since he has only played 4 NHL games at the age of 22, I wouldn't jump on that bandwagon yet, either.

As for Price saying nice things about Melanson, what do you expect? That he is going to say, "Get this fat old has been out of my face..."? I'm not saying that Melanson has nothing of value to impart, but I do worry that in order to justify his salary he is going to overcoach the young goalies since he has to make it seem that he is doing something useful. At least with Kolzig, you knew the help he was givng was coming from the heart since Ollie wasn't getting paid for it, and doesn't need the money in any event.

But I have faith in Price. He is smarter than most of the people in the organization already, and he will know what to keep and what to throw away, while at the same time making the coaches feel like they are useful.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I have faith in Price. He is smarter than most of the people in the organization already, and he will know what to keep and what to throw away, while at the same time making the coaches feel like they are useful.

What are you, his brother?

Do you know "most of the people in the organisation"?

If so, maybe you could tell "most of the people in the organisation" that they are doing a good job in placing your brother under the care of Melanson?

Kthx

The fact is that no team in the league has as abysmal record as Montreal does of "developing" their top draft picks. Over the past 20 years, only two players they drafted in the first round didn't underacheive, Saku Koivu, who came to Montreal after 3 seasons in the Finnish Elite League, and Andrew Cassals who had to leave the team and develop into a good NHL player elsewhere.

That is why I cringe when someone comes on here saying that Roland Melanson will "make Carey Price into a good goaltender". There is no history of Montreal coaches ever developing their top draft picks into good players. Quite the contrary. The history of the team is littered with top prospects taken in the first round who became progressively worse the longer they were in the organization.

It's highly unfair to say the Habs have not developed good goalies over the last 20-25 years. Directing the comments towards saying we don't develop top draft picks well is also irrelevant. At the end of the day the Habs have drafted poorly in the first round. Montreal WAS also notorious for not giving young players a chance in the NHL...partly because the team could generally afford proven NHL talent.

Look at the goalies this team has had over the last 25 years...plenty of good-great goalies have come through this organization.

The Habs had good drafts in the 80's for the most part and crap drafts in most of the 90's...and I think Houle was largely to blame for poor drafts rather then poor development.

You can't even name many draft picks who were highly touted that didn't turn out...largely because we never drafted anyone who was highly touted from 90-97. Only Ward was expected to become more then he is...and he also suffered numerous injuries in the minors to slow his development.

The funniest thing about the entire thread is that every time Beckham is questioned he does not respond in any way to answer the criticism...LMAO. It's quite funny actually...