Unanswered questions: Ryder and the Back up Goalie

PMAC

According to pat Hickey:

The signing of Theodore leaves Gainey with only one unsigned player, forward Michael Ryder. A finalist for rookie-of-the-year honours in 2003-04 , Ryder didn't accept the team's qualifying offer in the summer before the lockout and Gainey would only say "we'll get around to him eventually.".Gainey also shed some light on the question of who will serve as Theodore's backup. Cristobal Huet, acquired from Los Angeles in 2004, is recovering from a knee injury. Gainey said the team would give Yann Danis a look in training camp.

The phrase: " we'll get around to him eventually" strikes fear into my heart. It reminds me of Houle's negotiation strategy with Shane Corson

:puke:

Bob must have something up his sleeve.

On a happier note: I'm eager to see how Dannis fares at training camp, and hopefully in the NHL, this season

Maybe the fact that Jose Theodore and Michael Ryder got the same agent (Don Meehan) played a part in that.

I find it pretty believable that Bob got Don got so tied up in Jose's negociations that they didn't really have time to negociate in a serious fashion.

Personnally, I don't see a big problem in signing Ryder.

Ryan Malone (25 yr old, 6'4'', 215 pounds, 22 goals and 21 assists, -23 in his rookie year with 81 GP as a LW for the penguins) has been rumured to get between 750 000 and 800 000$ for 1 year.

Trent Hunter (another calder finalist, 25 yr old RW, 6'3'', 215 pounds, 25 goals and 26 assist, +23 in his rookie year with 77 GP as a RW for the Islanders) got 1 mil/ 1 year.

I see Ryder asking for a bit more than the Hunter contarct. Bob may offer Malone's contract and want to sign up a multi year deal.

Michael Ryder is a 25 year old RW, 6' and 196 pounds, got 25 goals, 38 assist and +10 in his rookie year with 81 GP.

The thing that scramble the data is that Ryder is the only montreal player (with Ribeiro) in the NHL top 50 nhl point list ( http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/Statistics.asp ) for the 2003-2004 regular season. Ribeiro is 30th with 65 pts, Ryder is 32th with 63 pts (between Doug Weight and Todd Bertuzzi!), Saku (the captain) comes in only at 51st with 55 pts.

Trent hunter is 78th (4 ranks before Zednik). Ryan Malone is 120th.

However, we have some money left, Ryder's contract is the last to sign and I bet Bob does not want to see him go.

They will get an agreement.

(I hope!)

Everybody seems shocked by Stillmans point production last year, but this year, he'll be playing in Carolina, so good luck to him in trying to repeat his last totals. I really don't know what the hangup is with Ryder. Both sides have been absolutly silent about negotiations, so the only rumors out there have proven to be false so far...(that one regarding Richards would have been great, but so far, nothing). If I were Ryder, I'd be looking for a short term deal (2 years) so that I could demand more money after proving to be no one year wonder (we've had those....Gilbert Dionne, Shel Dahlen, etc), so maybe the length of the contract is the hangup. As for money, even Mad Mike Milbury only gave Hunter, who seems to be the most logical comparison candidate, a little over 1 mill, so I can't see Ryder demanding a whole lot more than that. If Ryder were a leaf, we'd see TV coverage every day about the lack of a contract, but then again, if we were leaf fans, I wouldn't have seen a Cup win in my lifetime, so I guess I'll cope.

Obviously Ryder shouldn't be asking for anything more then 2 a season. If he can put together several 25-65 point seasons like he did two years ago then he can ask for the big bucks.

Halak is coming off a respectable first season in North America and wouldn't count him out for the backup job.

Just off the press.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/187260.html

Gainey is confident that Ryder should be at the training camp next week.

The two group is said to have come to an agreement on the lenght of the contract. The only thing to work out seems to be the salary.

Ryder is said to ask for a bit more than 1 mil. Gainey qualified the difference as "not that big anymore".

In other news:

Zednik is married

Kovalev looks like a superstar and wants to win the cup

Bonk is low key and reportedly only knows Bulis and Zednik

Latendresse is excited lots

Price learns new stuff

Ok... I'll write some more when I learn some ACTUAL hockey matters...

:P

MoeMan: I agree, I trust Bob. For the first time since the early days of Serge Savard I don't have to cringe when reading about the Habs personnel moves. I just thought that while Bob meant that he didnt anticipate any problems signing Ryder before camp, he could have said it better.

Peter Puck: thanks for the useful update