André Benoît causing a surprise?

KoZed

Featured article on Benoit: http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/188206.html

Basically what the article says is that Benoit is forcing the Habs staff to keep him in camp longer, and Julien thinks Benoit looked better in the first pre-season game than Hainsey & Streit.

Benoit never been drafted. He played 5 seasons with the Kitchener Rangers (0.96 PPG avg) in the OHL, winning the Memorial Cup in 2003.

He's a little undersized for a d-man (5-11/6-0 and not even 200 lbs) but he could maybe turn into a decent depth defenseman with PP upside.

Good for him. Maybe another Ryder-like story in the making.

ouan j'ai lu ça ;)

just to specify sumthing also : the article says that he was talking to 6 other teams but he decided to accept the habs offer ;) hey hey~ who said that no one wanna play in montreal huh??? huh??? muahaha~ go habs goooooo

--- edit ---

hey~ i just read an article on today's *La Presse* (yeah~ didnt have enough time to go through all da sports section today hehe) and it says that Andrée Benoît played almost 22 minutes last nite (only dandenault and bouillon played longer)~ so i think hainsey have to move his butt and motivate himself if he wanna make the team coz we have benoît who is in advance to get a place with the BIG team :clap:

[Edited on 2005/9/20 by bebehabs]

i 'm a kitchener ranger fan here in kitchener.I have watched Andre Benoit play for many years. I would rate him with the likes of Scott Stevens and Al McInis.He has a deadly accurate snap shot off the blue line.He handles the puck like a forward.He's an excellant offensive defencemen.His plus/minus stats speak for themselves.Check out his stats at http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/

Originally posted by kiitchenerrangerfan

i 'm a kitchener ranger fan here in kitchener.I have watched Andre Benoit play for many years. I would rate him with the likes of Scott Stevens and Al McInis.He has a deadly accurate snap shot off the blue line.He handles the puck like a forward.He's an excellant offensive defencemen.His plus/minus stats speak for themselves.Check out his stats at http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/

Yeah but can he clear the front of our net when there's a Humongous Leaf forward parked there?

Benoit sounds like a good prospect. It seems that Andre Savard should get some credit for encouraging Benoit to sign with the Habs, as the article indicated that 6 teams were interested in inviting him to their training camps. I believe that the habs relative lack of depth at defencemen [compared to forwards & goalies] makes signing him a good move. It's still very likely that he'll end up in the AHL to start the season, but he could be a good depth player that gets a call up to the pros should he continue to impress at the minor league level.

Benoit's showing is no suprise to anyone who saw him play on a regular basis here with the Kitchener Rangers.

In fact Ranger fans were shocked when he wasn't drafted - as a Habs fan I was very happy when they were able to snap him up!

He's tough and plays with a mean streak, reads the ice extremely well, excellent playmaker coming out of his own zone, an excellent leader and he puts some points on the board to boot.

This guy slipped through the system for some reason - it has nothing to do with a lack of depth on the blueline.

He has a lot of potential and this news isn't surprising any of us who watched him playover the last couple of years.

This could turn out to be a real steal thanks to Savard's eye for talent. He's definitely capable of playing for someone in the NHL..... all the tools are there!

:contract::/)

I was at the game on Sunday night, and he was getting tossed around pretty good in our own corners. As someone mentioned, I don't think he was the power to clear the front of the net. I don't think it's a height issue (see Bouillon), but rather a strength issue.

I see him ankoring our depleted blue line in Hamilton this year....

He's still young and lots of time to fill out - realistically the NHL is still a couple of years away.

As for Bouillon - let's be serious. The guy has a big heart and plays tough, but he won't be pushing any of the monsters out of the front of the net, anytime or anywhere - especially with the new rules in place.

I love an underdog, but.....

(Personally I think most of the fascination with players like Bouillon in Montreal is the fact they are native sons. And it's only natural to hope for hometown boys to make it! Problem is though, is it best for the team, or just for local interests?

It's about winning the cup - and who cares where they come from as long as they're the ones capable of delivering it!)

[And I'm French Canadian extraction if anyone's wondering]:hlogo::can::que::hockey:

This is true, he probably has an extra boost being a local and all, but he does skate very well, and moves the puck with confidence....something Rivet and Brisebois can't claim....

He's also strong in the corners, and willing to stick up for his teammates....Like someone said earlier...he's probably the best 7th Dman in the league....

not too expensive either....

Just an aside here, While at the practice sunday, and the game sunday night, this guy caught my eye.

He seems to play pretty good, although I doubt he'd crack the line-up right away, but I look forward to seeing how he plays in Hamilton this year (should that be his destination).

You're right about Bouillon's speed and he plays a big man's game but in the end he's just a fringe defenceman.

And I always love an underdog - but he isn't strong enough to carry a big full time role in the NHL. Eventually he's gonna get pushed aside by the bigger boys.

As for Benoit he's got the tools and if he bulks up then's he's got more upside potential than a lot of guys who got drafted.

Seen him take a few big boys on here and make them look bad..... he definitely won't back down from it!

He's gonna push a few guys like Hainsey and some of the other guys who were drafted.

Andre Benoit was a smart player in junior.He learned clever ways to deal with guys in front of the net.Andre spent most of his time in kitchener on specialty teams ,which ment logging mega hours killing penaltys for those that never understood what obstruction meant.The new nhl reflects a desire on the part of fans everywhere to change from a knock "em down in front of the net mentality.....even if your opponent is no where near the puck, to a more skilled ,smarter style of play....what most paying fans want.Andre is a perfect fit for the NEW nhl..he spent most of his carreer here in kitchener defending those IN the sin bin.His consistently high plus minus record speaks volumes for his defensive abilitys.Andre has a Brian Leach style of play....he has many strenghts