Streit Contract / The "30 Game" Thing

JLP

Curious about the true, exact status of the Marc Streit contract. I know he makes $450,000, but is it two-way, and what is this I'm always hearing about a "30 game minimum."

My guess is that this relates to pay, that he will be paid as if he appeared in 30 games whether he does or not. I've never heard of and can't imagine the Habs (or any team for that matter) signing a contract that absolutely forces them to play someone.

Doesn't seem sensible.:?-

By the way I'm not anti-Streit or anything actually I sort of like the idea of a Swiss being on the team, and he seems to be coming along as he adapts to the ice size etc. here. I'm just curious because I've heard different things about his contact. Anyone know for sure?

as i understand it, streit has a negative-performance bonus. If he plays less than 30 games, they owe him like an extra $200,000

I was wondering if he is owed 30 games on the pro roster, or 30 games on the lineup card...

[Edited on 10/10/2005 by simonus]

Originally posted by simonus

as i understand it, streit has a negative-performance bonus.  If he plays less than 30 games, they owe him like an extra $200,000

I was wondering if he is owed 30 games on the pro roster, or 30 games on the lineup card...

Now that makes sense, the suggestion that the Habs had to play him 30 games minimum did not. So I'd guess this might be the case.

Your second question is maybe too arcane for me, do you mean a difference between 1) being with the team (but in the press box) and 2) dressing for the game?

Originally posted by JeanLucPilon

Your second question is maybe too arcane for me, do you mean a difference between 1) being with the team (but in the press box) and 2) dressing for the game?

exactly

Hmm, assuming the first part about the "negative performance" clause is correct, that's an interesting question, but it doesn't matter much in the end.

When you think about it, carrying a player takes up a valuable roster space so I'd guess there's little chance the Habs would keep Streit around simply to try and save a few bucks. (Plus there are costs in taking a player on the road -- and anyway it would be petty to try and hoodwink Streit that way, and the Habs are a classy organization!)

I just wanted to clear up the 30 games issue because I've seen posts about how the Habs "have to play Streit 30 games" and that seemed weird.

except he's been on the roster for 3 games, he's played 1. If he's a 7th defenseman, we're going to see a lot of sequences like this. At this rate, if he's on the roster for 82 games, he would play only ~27... thats assuming that hainsey is not called up (although that seems increasingly unlikely).

I frankly don't care if Streit gets a bonus. It's not like that $200,000 will be the difference between agood midseason pickup or standing pat (hopefully all the habs will play enough to render that issue moot).

plus I fully appreciate Streit's position, he was the captain of the Lions in Zurich, with friends and all, and captain of the Swiss Nat team, why would he want to come over to NA to end up in friggin Hamilton? After alll he's not a kid, he's 27. So he made a deal that gives him some coin if the Habs decide they have more than enough depth at D and do ship him there.

$200,000 is peanuts for the Habs but it will buy a lot of LCBO schnapps for Streit if he does end up spending the winter in Hamilton (brrr, just the thought of it).

When interviewed, Streit always mention how playing in the NHL is "his dream" and how he's better prepared to make it this time -- he had a try a long time ago with another NHL team, forgot which -- so the 30-games clause somehow looks more like Streit wanting a real chance to play in the NHL rather than him wanting more $$$.

ok, that makes even more sense...

and if it's true the coin goes to the Switz league and not Streit, then I like MarcS even more. Hope he and Boullion make a strong backup for our D!!!

exactly

Hmm, assuming the first part about the "negative performance" clause is correct, that's an interesting question, but it doesn't matter much in the end.

When you think about it, carrying a player takes up a valuable roster space so I'd guess there's little chance the Habs would keep Streit around simply to try and save a few bucks. (Plus there are costs in taking a player on the road -- and anyway it would be petty to try and hoodwink Streit that way, and the Habs are a classy organization!)

I just wanted to clear up the 30 games issue because I've seen posts about how the Habs "have to play Streit 30 games" and that seemed weird.

That's right. His salary may not be very much in the larger picture but, still, it is a consideration. The idea of using up a roster spot is the most valid of considerations. Very good.

Originally posted by Tony

The 30 game clause is related to the Swiss Elite League. If Streit doesn't play 30 games this season with the Habs, the Habs owe 200 000$ to the Swiss Elite League.

Where did you get that info? That's rather interesting, especially if correct.

Originally posted by shortcat1

The 30 game clause is related to the Swiss Elite League. If Streit doesn't play 30 games this season with the Habs, the Habs owe 200 000$ to the Swiss Elite League.

I heard this on RDS a while back.

Originally posted by shortcat1

I heard this on RDS a while back.

Thanks. I have to admit to being surprised by that but then again, what do I know about stuff like that. Ask me what a puck is and I'm fairly confident I'll get that one. :eyes:;):);):eyes:

Originally posted by Tony The 30 game clause is related to the Swiss Elite League. If Streit doesn't play 30 games this season with the Habs, the Habs owe 200 000$ to the Swiss Elite League.
This is not entirely correct.

That Streit must play in 30 games in the NHL is *not* his or his agents doing. This is a direct result of the IIHF-NHL Player Transfer Agreement. According to this agreement European IIHF Clubs will be paid between $50,000.00(US) and $150,000.00(US) if any of their players are on an NHL roster and DO NOT play 30 NHL games in a season. Therefore, if Streit does not play in 30 games, Montreal will have to pay his European Club what it states above.

Source