Favorite new rule

diebels

there have been quite a lot of new rules introduced in the 'new NHL' so which is your favorite one?

I go with the icing rule. you're not allowed to change if you iced the puck. all the icing was a killer, now teams have to try harder to get out of their zones. I think it's really good for the flow and benefits the offensive teams.

what are your favorite new rule?

Personally, I don't really like any of the new rules.

What I do like, is that the refs are now calling the old rules, i.e. hooking and holding.

I also like the re-institution of the tag-up offsides.

As for the new rules, I don't like changing the game so drastically. What happens now if someone breaks Gretzky's records? An asterix? Under these rules in the 80s, just think what Wayne could have done!

The two you guys mentioned are my two favourites. Mainly the icing rule. It adds a bit more strategy to the game. And ya, I already thought about what would happen if someone passed Gretzky. There'd be no asterix but the whole world would complain and say Wayne was better anyway. The game will probably become lower scoring soon enough. Maybe it will go down from 5-4 to 4-3 by the break.

I know that this isn't a new rule as such but, for me, it's new in that it's actually being done consistently.

I love that they're clamping down on the clutch and grab. If and when they make errors, I hope the refs mostly make them on the side of clamping down not on letting stuff go.

The advantage of a new rule like the one you like is that you can't go back on it without rewriting the rule. The disadvantage on what I 'love' is that you can go back on it - just fold to the pressure of those who don't want it called as much. If this happens, all the other changes won't make a whole lot of difference - except for the shootout.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

As for the new rules, I don't like changing the game so drastically.  What happens now if someone breaks Gretzky's records?  An asterix?  Under these rules in the 80s, just think what Wayne could have done!

well better than in MLB where you have with and without steroid :nono:

I'm not sure if that will be as big of an issue as it looks right now. I think that the goal average will drop as the season goes on. The defenseman as well as the coaches will figure a way out to handle the new rules better...

Originally posted by shortcat1

I know that this isn't a new rule as such but, for me, it's new in that it's actually being done consistently.

I love that they're clamping down on the clutch and grab. If and when they make errors, I hope the refs mostly make them on the side of clamping down not on letting stuff go.

The advantage of a new rule like the one you like is that you can't go back on it without rewriting the rule. The disadvantage on what I 'love' is that you can go back on it - just fold to the pressure of those who don't want it called as much. If this happens, all the other changes won't make a whole lot of difference - except for the shootout.

I agree with shortcat1. Hockey is now watchable in regular season. The shootout should be manditory at the end of a game but not to end a game. Just for the fans that may not have been entertained as a fun fan gesture by the players.

Tag up rule is good. Center ice gone is good. Goalies not roaming in corners is good. I noticed more end to end fun with obstruction being called.

Just my 2 cents.

Originally posted by diebels
Originally posted by Fanpuck33

As for the new rules, I don't like changing the game so drastically.  What happens now if someone breaks Gretzky's records?  An asterix?  Under these rules in the 80s, just think what Wayne could have done!

well better than in MLB where you have with and without steroid :nono:

I'm not sure if that will be as big of an issue as it looks right now. I think that the goal average will drop as the season goes on. The defenseman as well as the coaches will figure a way out to handle the new rules better...

I'm looking forward to the time when MLB gets its new CBA going. I mightily hope that they'll clean up some of the stuff associated with the game. The game itself is pretty well ok as it is. What really needs to addressed is the fact that some teams can pay up to and over 200 million dollars on salaries. That's CRAZY!!!! Crazier even than what was going on with hockey. There's NO parity worth mentionning in baseball. Who's in the post season on a pretty well guaranteed basis? The Yankees (208 million), the Red Sox (123.5 million), etc. The league median is about 71.5 million. Makes me shiver.

i am frankly happy with just about all the new rules.

Love the smaller neutral zone, as it allows for a 2 line pass without the detriments experienced in european league.

Love the increased clutching and grabbing calls.

Love the icing and tag-up rules. My friend and I were completely unable to get up from the couch as there were no stoppages of play.

Love the huge offensive zones. All those defenseman pinches make the PK that much more suspenseful.

Just wish that they would take away the OTLpt, there is no reason to have it anymore.

Originally posted by simonus

Love the smaller neutral zone, as it allows for a 2 line pass without the detriments experienced in european league.

Love the icing and tag-up rules.  My friend and I were completely unable to get up from the couch as there were no stoppages of play.

Love the huge offensive zones.  All those defenseman pinches make the PK that much more suspenseful.

Just wish that they would take away the OTLpt, there is no reason to have it anymore.

I have noticed the time to get munchies is short too. I used to make popcorn or go get a Pepsi without worrying about missing something. (Even if the game was on:) )

Now if you blink, you might miss something....

Love the icing and tag-up rules.  My friend and I were completely unable to get up from the couch as there were no stoppages of play.

Love the huge offensive zones.  All those defenseman pinches make the PK that much more suspenseful.

I agree with that. It'll likely come in a few years. I'm not really certain why they kept it. It sort of takes away the sting of losing. I figure that it'll be taken away when the teams are more used to the idea of shoot-outs because the idea of losing any points on a shoot-out probably seems more than they can swallow for now.

The zero tolerance on obstruction is my queen of all new changes and it is to bad that of all changes this is the only one that is susceptible to be altered as it is not a rule per se but an enforcement of a rule.

I think the comity as done an incredibly good job with their selection of all the new rules for all the good reasons that I have read from you guys here.

I also like the new match suspension+fine on the last 5 minute of playtime, it seems a reasonable way to discourage GM into building a team around the concept of intimidation without elimating the od fights which is fine by me.

Overall, only reserve as to do with seeing so many players crowding the front and immidiate areas of the goally space....it seems a little unatural somewhat and unfair to the goallys.

It seems like the lockout might have been '' un mal necessaire'' for the scale of the impvrovement acheived,..in and out of the rink.

Yeap yeap.. Ditto here on every point made.

Originally posted by PB

The zero tolerance on obstruction is my queen of all new changes and it is to bad that of all changes this is the only one that is susceptible to be altered as it is not a rule per se but an enforcement of a rule.

I think the comity as done an incredibly good job with their selection of all the new rules for all the good reasons that I have read from you guys here.  

I also like the new match suspension+fine on the last 5 minute of playtime, it seems  a  reasonable way to discourage GM into building a team around the concept of intimidation without elimating the od fights which is fine by me.

Overall, only reserve as to do with seeing so many players crowding the front and immidiate areas of the goally space....it seems a little unatural somewhat and unfair to the goallys.

It seems like the lockout might have been '' un mal necessaire'' for the scale of the impvrovement acheived,..in and out of the rink.

PB, I forgot about the match suspension+fine on the last 5 minutes of playtime. I am glad it was implemented so we can get the cementhead thinking out of the game. This is usually when the stupidity takes place.

I really like the 2 line pass, less clutching is ofcourse good too..but overall I am not for drastic rule changes.

Is there a thread for non-favorite rule changes? :D because I am totally against shootouts

I like the fact the red line is gone and the goalies with a limited playing space.

What I HATE is that stupid "delay of game" penalty for sending it over the boards. About 90% of those are by mistake anyway. Think about it. Tie game, 1:30 left, both teams are battling behind the net with the opposition putting on lots of pressure. You just want it the hell out of there so you slap it. It takes a weird bounce of the glass, you get called for delay of game. And then your team allows the PP goal with 50 seconds left. I just really hate that call.

Well, their forcing you to A) clear it through empty ice B) skate your way out of your zone or C) get a penalty, all three of which will give the attacking team an edge. That's the point of the new rules: offense. They're all made to help the attacking team. That's why offence is so dominant now. The league wants you to lose the puck on your way out, the league wants you to clear it through the crease and the league wants late-game penalties because it attracts fans.

Semi-random: Shortcat once said that the habs were the best shootout team in the league but I'd have to say were atleast behind Ottawa. Hasek is possibly the greatest goalie ever at stopping penalty shots and Havlat, Heatley, Alfredsson and Spezza are easily some of the best breakaway scorers in the league. Especially Havlat.

Yes, I've realized that already. But to put one team at such a disadvantage isn't all that fair either. I know the league has jumped onto the offense bandwagon but leave a little slack in there for defense. I'd hate to see Game 7 of the SCF end that way. The rule is stupid and the thought behind it is stupid.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

Well, their forcing you to A) clear it through empty ice B) skate your way out of your zone or C) get a penalty, all three of which will give the attacking team an edge. That's the point of the new rules: offense. They're all made to help the attacking team. That's why offence is so dominant now. The league wants you to lose the puck on your way out, the league wants you to clear it through the crease and the league wants late-game penalties because it attracts fans.

Semi-random: Shortcat once said that the habs were the best shootout team in the league but I'd have to say were atleast behind Ottawa. Hasek is possibly the greatest goalie ever at stopping penalty shots and Havlat, Heatley, Alfredsson and Spezza are easily some of the best breakaway scorers in the league. Especially Havlat.

I'm right and you're wrong! I'm right and you're wrong! I'm right and you're wrong! I'm right and you're wrong! I'm right and you're wrong! I'm right and you're wrong!

lalalalalalalalalalalaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa